• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"The Lone Ranger"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A whopping 25% at Rotten Tomatoes (so far). What they said about it:

Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp make for an appealing pair of leads as the Lone Ranger and Tonto, but they're not enough to make up for The Lone Ranger's bland script, bloated length, and blaring action overkill.

Oh...sounds like Pirates of the Caribbean...only now, Johnny Depp's quirkiness has become far too mainstream. (Back in 2003, it was only too mainstream.) Not that I give a shit about Johnny Depp, bland script, or bloated length (provided I don't drink any pop)...a blaring action overkill could make a movie good enough for me.

Sadly, I have to work late today, so I won't be able to see it until tomorrow. :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm going to see Despicable Me 2 instead.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm surprised that there isn't more outcry over Johnny Depp playing a Native American. It seems like people get more upset about that kind of thing it's a cartoon character or CG creation, for some reason. As long as you are an actual human stereotyping another ethnicity, that's ok, but if it's some kind of fantastical creature that looks like a stereotype, people take issue. I don't know why that is.

Maybe because it's Johnny Depp and he's crazy and eccentric and indie quirky?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think that helps a bit. It's hard to hate Johnny Depp, and people take him more seriously than Jim Carrey. So his caricatures come off as more artistic/self-expressive rather than perpetuation of stereotype...

I was more annoyed with the bitching from Asian groups about casting for Cloud Atlas, despite the fact that it was essential to the storyline to have a core of the same white, Asian, and black actors, and cast them as different genders and races in the movie through time as part of the reincarnation process.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The promos say it's the blockbuster hit of the summer.

G

Ginkgo

That's disappointing but not exactly surprising that they would get lazy about a narrative that's basically just a reiteration. It's apparently a challenge to take your artistic liberties while simultaneously embellishing the core of an idea. Not impossible, though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm surprised that there isn't more outcry over Johnny Depp playing a Native American. It seems like people get more upset about that kind of thing it's a cartoon character or CG creation, for some reason. As long as you are an actual human stereotyping another ethnicity, that's ok, but if it's some kind of fantastical creature that looks like a stereotype, people take issue. I don't know why that is.

For the record Depp claims he has some Native heritage. "Cherokee or maybe Creek." That helps, lol.

There's been some outcry, but it's mainly been among racial issue blogs and the like, not really in the mainstream press. That does surprise me. It was the first thing I thought when I heard they were making a LR movie. Wonder who will play Tonto and how they'll handle that? Then I found out. Really? Johnny Depp? PR nightmare. But it hasn't been, at least not that I've seen.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i'm beginning to think that people like to complain about the most mundane and pointless things on earth.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked it...but the narrative attempt to make Tonto the "lead" to justify billing Depp first in the credits was very out-of-place. And those CG jackrabbits...oh my GOD!!! They were an even bigger train wreck than the actual train wrecks!!! But the train wrecks are awesome...I didn't want them to end.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Some really strong comments on the topic. I never saw why it was such a big deal. Seemed like PotC with trains instead of boats.. so I was down to see it.

Thanks for the patronizing bullshit Depp. I've been surrounded by ogitchidaag my whole life. My father is a navy vet, my brother is in the Green Beret. Second, f*** you AND your stupid costume. It's not a part of the comanche nation, or any indigenous nation for that matter. It's based on a painting done by Kirby Sattler, who even admitted it was purely from his imagination and was in no way affiliated with any actual tribe/nation. Way to whitewash a role that was meant SPECIFICALLY for a Native actor. Just because you've been adopted into the Comanche nation DOES NOT mean you know anything about how our children live, or what it's like to live that kind of life. Oh you didn't want him to be joke? The moment you were cast, he was. The moment you decided he should base his image on an entirely fictional painting, "tonto" became a laughing stock. We are SO thankful to you for continually perpetuating racist hollywood stereotypes. Thanks so much Johnny!
Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...-native-youth-youre-still-warriors-man-150019

This lady's pretty pissed. :laugh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My God, who gives a shit about who's playing who? That's like giving a shit about who's marrying who.