• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Last of Us

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Before I start writing anything, I want to know how everyone feels about spoilers?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Holy fuck nuts.

The beginning made me cry for the first time in a long time.

That's how I love. So deep it hurts. So deep I'm a commitment phobe and afraid of the loss.

I love his flaws, his stubbornness etc..

Sarah's death broke me. Half my family are from Texas, and he reminds me of a couple of us.

I want to be a Dad like Joel. I've never identified with a character that strongly. The killing machine he becomes without his Daughter Sarah to serve as the anchor to his ship. How her loss never leaves him.

The hollow man he's become when you see him 20 years later. It's heartbreaking, and I see that him in me too. When things are going poorly and my life isn't moored the way it needs to be I see so much of him in me.

Seeing his brain fighting the love coming from Ellie. Seeing him look at his watch that Sarah gave him.

I love the effect of the world being new to Ellie, and really it's her game (I just get wrapped up in Joel for the obvious reasons). How he explains Ice Cream trucks to her, how she has no way of understanding how populous we used to be.

I love the weight the violence has in this game. It's not funny, its necessary. It's sloppy people get tired and wheeze.

The facial animations are excellent, Joel and Ellie or Tess would look at each other and communicate without talking. My God is it good.

This was the first time a Game has lived up to the narrative possibilities in gaming. Where the longer format has strengths not inherent in the 2hr movie.

The environmental storytelling was great. You read about Ish in the boat and we follow his story all the way up into the sewers and see where it goes. The detail in the game is incredible.

The Sam and Henry arc was strong as well. The discussion after Henry bails on Joel but convinces him not to kill him by telling Joel he would have done the very same thing.

This game shows why we have Zombie cliches. You don't care because they're executed so perfectly, and actually enjoy them more because of it. The strongest part of the Game for me was the winter section and going from Joel wanting to be rid of Ellie and passing her off to Tommy (which he had been lying to himself about for a while [not sure how long]).

To the scene where he falls, is injured and somehow makes it out, is crazy tense. I was riveted

Coming back as Ellie, I was totally prepared to play the rest of the game as her, and was stoked that she didn't have the same skills. Now for me the positive climax of the game was the arc with the cannibals.

When she escapes and he finds her, and he calls her baby girl for the first time like he used to call Sarah. It broke me again. Seeing his armor crack was like nothing I've ever seen.

Seeing her become his daughter to him was touching in a way that even few movies manage.

To back up a little bit. When he is getting the information from the two cannibals about where they are keeping Ellie, thats the best executed torture scene I've ever seen in games. It was grim and I would do the exact same thing in his shoes. Sorry but that's some real talk right there.

Backing up even further, sorry to Tarantino it on you, but the scene where David (cannibal leader) and Ellie are discussing the deer carcass and he explains that she and Joel slaughtered his guys, damn that was some sick shit.

That guy was shady as fuck the whole time. They did a great job of forcing complacency on you by how he hadn't betrayed her up to that point.

Anyway, I'm tired of writing now and just want to say that I would make the same decision he makes at the end if I were in his shoes. I'll leave it there.

They fake you out in this game. I expected Joel to die and he didn't. Then I expected them to save the world. But they didn't. The stinger that they leave you with at the end, his lie, was magnificent.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Had it on preorder but cancelled. Money is tight right now.
Played the demo, too. Hope the rest isnt as bland.

Either way, I am dying to play it. Probably gonna wait for a price drop.

What a great year for games. Didnt think anything could challenge Bioshock for game of the year. Many reviews are calling LoU the Citizen Kane of games.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wish I had a PS3. But I don't wish it enough to buy one. It sounds like the kind of game I'd be interested in (and those are rare).

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, I don't have that kind of money for leisure. Kids gotta eat/wear shoes/play cello.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
*skips past the spoilers* I really want this game. It looks so good. :( In other news, apparently Ellen Page isn't too happy about Ellie's character because they're too similar or something? I don't know really.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Got my hands on a copy today...currently fighting through da 'Burgh.

Great game, but a victim of the hype machine. I was kind of expecting the second coming with everything I've read and heard. Nonetheless, the story is about as good as it gets, voice performances are the best I've ever seen and the attention to detail warrants an award category on its own. Joel is a certified badass not to be crossed. I also like Ellie's often inappropriate sailor pottymouth (Kids these days--I tell ya).

The world of Last of Us is truly terrifying post-apocalyptic fare and surprisingly the least disturbing aspect of the game is the almost incidental "zombie apocalypse." And if the ending is to be believed, then perhaps the glory days of humanity are done and will never return again. Fuck the world--it's all about survival, baby. Ultimately, survival is an exercise in futility; the game seems to believe that the world is a better place without us. Nihilistic, thought-provoking and very ballsy.

The perfect swan song for one of the greatest gaming systems of all time. Bravo.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Finished it about a half an hour ago...wow. One of the greatest games I've ever had the privilege to play. Everything Disco mentioned was spot on. This is a work of art.

Can't wait to buy it.