• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

books vs e readers which do you prefer?

E reader or book book

• neither i'm a neatherthal that doesn't read

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I prefer e-readers cuz i always get crap on my books or something and than with the kindle I can just wipe it off. Don't ask me how i get stuff on things i don't know. although if its for a class or something like that i prefer real books so i can hi-light and leave notes in the margin. Margin and maragine look very similar to me by the way. I like the idea of have a stick of maragirine too the side and leaving little notes, but than someone would come and use it to cook with even though i prefer butter. anyways I prefer e-readers maybe i've always prefered the future over the past/present. though i am learning to appreciate the present.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer books.. I don't like depending too too much on expensive fancypants technology, I guess.

I like the feel of a book in my hands, I can;t explain why right now, but I'll reflect on it & add more here, later, perhaps.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I prefer books.. I don't like depending too too much on expensive fancypants technology, I guess.

I like the feel of a book in my hands, I can;t explain why right now, but I'll reflect on it & add more here, later, perhaps.

my kindle was less than 50

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really like the speed and convenience of my IPad Kindle software but when it comes down to it, I much more strongly prefer the feeling of a book in my hands.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I really like the speed and convenience of my IPad Kindle software but when it comes down to it, I much more strongly prefer the feeling of a book in my hands.
I actually hate how paper in novels feel against my fingers especially paper backs, it feels gross i also don't like wind breakers for that same reason, especially when they end up in my mouth (which is rare btw)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I actually hate how paper in novels feel against my fingers especially paper backs, it feels gross i also don't like wind breakers for that same reason, especially when they end up in my mouth (which is rare btw)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely prefer books over my Kindle Fire. I only have a few books on it and rarely read them. I have a Nook, too. It's easier on the eyes than the Kindle Fire and I will read on that when I'm temporarily out of books to read...like right now...that's not good.

I think it's time to plan a book raid.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you don't have a both option! :sadbanana:

I like books for the tactile experience... nothing can quite replace the joy of feeling pages and seeing how far I've read. However, I love the kindle app on my phone to little, bitty bits (not only because I get discounted prices :laugh:)... it's just so damned convenient because I always have my phone and it fits into one hand quite conveniently :yes:

93JC

I prefer books. I think people appreciate the content of a book better than an e-book because of the medium itself. The biggest advertised advantages that e-readers have over books is that they: take up substantially less space, weigh substantially less, and content is easily added to them. But content is also easily removed.

A book takes up space and is heavy, true, but that imparts a feeling of permanence to me. I keep all of my books. I put them on shelves. Rarely have I ever rid myself of one. You could even say I come to cherish them. By contrast e-books are easily erased, clicked-and-dragged into virtual waste baskets and recycle bins, never to be read again. I couldn't imagine throwing a real book in the trash.

Maybe that last sentence is most telling: books feel real to me. E-books don't.

I posted a long-winded post a long time ago that tangentially relates to this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54129&p=1798170. That post links to another thread, E-books are Damaging Society.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A book takes up space and is heavy, true, but that imparts a feeling of permanence to me. I keep all of my books. I put them on shelves. Rarely have I ever rid myself of one. You could even say I come to cherish them. By contrast e-books are easily erased, clicked-and-dragged into virtual waste baskets and recycle bins, never to be read again. I couldn't imagine throwing a real book in the trash.

Maybe that last sentence is most telling: books feel real to me. E-books don't.

Yes. This. I get a sense of pleasure from the stacks of books by bed, in the closet, on the table. The weight of the book in my hand...paper seems like a kind of magic to me. I seldom throw books out. I have been guilty of abusing books (like dropping them into the water when I'm reading in the tub), buy another copy, and still be reluctant to throw the damaged one out...unless it became moldy.

93JC

I also think that sense of permanence that I feel a book has and an e-book does not is important on a greater scale. Great stories become great because they're passed around, passed down to succeeding generations, read over and over and over again. It's not very easy to lend someone your electronic copy of the latest book you bought.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't have an ereader. I read ebooks on my laptop and phone. I think right now I like reading books on my laptop best because I haven't gotten used to my bifocals and it's easier to read when I can make the print as big as I want to. I also like being able to buy and receive a book in the wee hours if I decide I want one. But I love the feel and smell of paper books and I like buying stuff at the book store. I mostly 'read' audiobooks right now, though. I like being able to multitask.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

Really? I'm the opposite. That's actually one of the reasons why I like physical books better. That feeling of turning each individual page in your hand is just awesome.

I don't have an eReader, but I hate the screens on many of them. Why would I want to read off of a computer screen? It's not comfortable for long periods. The e-ink (or w/e it's called) models are much better, but that flash it makes whenever you flip the page greatly irritates me for some reason.

I actually just bought some physical books from Amazon even though they are freely, legally available as ebooks.

But honestly I don't read very much to begin with. :/

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Really? I'm the opposite. That's actually one of the reasons why I like physical books better. That feeling of turning each individual page in your hand is just awesome.

I don't have an eReader, but I hate the screens on many of them. Why would I want to read off of a computer screen? It's not comfortable for long periods. The e-ink (or w/e it's called) models are much better, but that flash it makes whenever you flip the page greatly irritates me for some reason.

I actually just bought some physical books from Amazon even though they are freely, legally available as ebooks.

yeah i have an e--ink one and mine doesn't flash.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Even though I like physical books a lot and miss some aspects (good typography, ease of jumping around, etc), I definitely do the vast majority of my reading on my e-ink Kindle. The e-ink is very easy on the eyes even for extended reading (unlike backlight iPhone, iPad, etc), the books are often (but not always) cheaper, and being able to carry multiple books with me is a boon when traveling. It's also nice to not have to devote shelf space to books I want to read again. Still, there are downsides (general loanability, ability to browse entire collection, etc), so I understand eBooks are not for everyone.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Even though I like physical books a lot and miss some aspects (good typography, ease of jumping around, etc), I definitely do the vast majority of my reading on my e-ink Kindle. The e-ink is very easy on the eyes even for extended reading (unlike backlight iPhone, iPad, etc), the books are often (but not always) cheaper, and being able to carry multiple books with me is a boon when traveling. It's also nice to not have to devote shelf space to books I want to read again. Still, there are downsides (general loanability, ability to browse entire collection, etc), so I understand eBooks are not for everyone.

I agree with this, I'm not hating on books I like them, I just for my life style which at this point in my life is transient ie i don't live anywhere longer than a year or 2 my kindle is better for that. plus i like pushing the page turn button.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
kindle classic probably 2nd gen
Ok so I just did some research (aka YouTubing) on the matter and found that all of the Kindles do the weird flash/refresh I find irritating. You probably just don't notice it anymore, as most people easily ignore it.

Here is a sample video someone made first with flashing and second with very minimal flashing (they ran some custom code or something)

W

WALMART

I love books. Once I found a postcard from a woman to a Navy man tucked away inside my used copy of The Perfect Storm, wishing he would like the novel.

And once I found this cool holographic book mark with images of Earth imprinted upon it. Those little odds and ends about the histories of the books I find really add character to my collection...

Unlike that soulless digital format.