• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jeremy Jahns (ENTP) World War Z movie review

MetalMoon

I watch his reviews. He's pretty cool. I also had a feeling he would be some sort of ExTP.

I'm seeing WWZ on Saturday; not expecting anything mind-blowing, but it should be good, so I'll probably end up thinking similarly to Jeremy Jahns.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I watch his reviews. He's pretty cool. I also had a feeling he would be some sort of ExTP.

I'm seeing WWZ on Saturday; not expecting anything mind-blowing, but it should be good, so I'll probably end up thinking similarly to Jeremy Jahns.

I'm going to see it tomorrow night.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just got back from watching this movie.

@2:43, Jeremy Jaws complains that the movie would have been the same without Brad Pitt's ("Gerry's") family. That's true, but it's a weak point. Without a family values theme, there would be no apocalypse movie to complain about.

Does anybody here remember a black-and-white movie called "Panic in the Year Zero" (1962; Ray Milland, Jean Hagen, Frankie Avalon)? It's about a civilized father, who probably never used a weapon in his life, forced to violently defend his family in post-nuclear war America.

THEY ALL INVOLVE THIS FAMILY VALUES THEME.

Jeremy Jaws's real complaint would better concern the vacuousness of this movie. The father in "Panic" was forced to choose between civilized behavior and savagery in order to defend his family. The father in "Panic" was great in showing the contrast between civilization and savagery. The star of "WWZ" had no difficult values choice to make. And he was already a warrior type, not a weakling father forced by circumstances into an opposite role. There is no interesting contrast to make. There is no values statement in this movie.

The REAL glitch in the movie involved the decision to send "Gerry" to South Korea in order to determine how the zombie plague started, thus figure out how to defeat it. That's like sending someone to Africa to figure out how to defeat HIV.

I did enjoy both the book (which I read a year ago) and the movie. The movie had some interesting takes on the zombie apocalypse theme totally missed by its author Max Brooks. One of those involves a question I asked after I read the book: why do all zombies have teeth? Not everybody in reality has teeth. Apparently, the North Koreans (in the movie) were reading my mind and figured out their own novel way to defeat the zombies.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, and wouldn't it be funny if

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why was David Morse even in the movie? Why was the ending so anticlimactic? Why was the movie so hyped? And lastly, why was the movie made?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
is this worth seeing on the big screen?

possibly. But I've seen him before, and he always seems like he's trying too hard, as opposed to some of the other outspoken youtube bloggers I've observed who just seem natural rather than doing a schtick. I feel like I'm listening to one of those fast-talking hucksters running a public auction. Lots of flash-bang and banter, but nothing really different than elsewhere.

Last edited:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why was David Morse even in the movie? Why was the ending so anticlimactic? Why was the movie so hyped? And lastly, why was the movie made?

David Morse plays a cia agent who knows someone who knows something about the zombie plague. His role is pivotal in informing "Gerry" where to travel next.

The ending wasn't anticlimactic, it was predictable. I got no sense of build-up and so the climax of the movie was more of a fizzle.

MetalMoon

is this worth seeing on the big screen?

possibly. But I've seen him before, and he always seems like he's trying too hard, as opposed to some of the other outspoken youtube bloggers I've observed who just seem natural rather than doing a schtick. I feel like I'm listening to one of those fast-talking hucksters running a public auction. Lots of flash-bang and banter, but nothing really different than elsewhere.

If you're willing to spend your money. It's a popcorn movie. I still enjoyed it, though: had a good balance of funny, zombie, and Brad Pitt. Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything intellectual, I was just expecting mindless fun; I got what I asked for, really.

Also, agreed that he sometimes appears to be trying too hard. He's probably just super energetic, and prone to going over the top.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're willing to spend your money. It's a popcorn movie. I still enjoyed it, though: had a good balance of funny, zombie, and Brad Pitt. Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything intellectual, I was just expecting mindless fun; I got what I asked for, really.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks so much for the feedback -- I wonder how Pacific Rim will pay off next month?

MetalMoon

That's what I was thinking. Thanks so much for the feedback -- I wonder how Pacific Rim will pay off next month?

No problem :)

Pacific Rim was advertised before WWZ. The CGI looked phenomenal - not sure about the storyline, though. Are you going to see it? I don't think I'll have enough money (I plan on seeing Monster's University and Now You See Me) so I'll probably just wait for the DVD/Blu Ray.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No problem :)

Pacific Rim was advertised before WWZ. The CGI looked phenomenal - not sure about the storyline, though. Are you going to see it? I don't think I'll have enough money (I plan on seeing Monster's University and Now You See Me) so I'll probably just wait for the DVD/Blu Ray.

Well, it looks like one of those movies that WOULD benefit from big-screen presentation. Because it's all about "Big things fighting" anyway. I don't know if I'll go see Despicable Me 2 in the theater, but probably will see Pacific Rim. Sounds like WWZ might be better on Bluray off Redbox.

I do like a lot of dramas and some comedies, but typically I reserve my big-screen money for (1) things I've been dying to see for months or (2) things that might not be 4-star movies but look awesome on the big screen.

MetalMoon

Well, it looks like one of those movies that WOULD benefit from big-screen presentation. Because it's all about "Big things fighting" anyway. I don't know if I'll go see Despicable Me 2 in the theater, but probably will see Pacific Rim. Sounds like WWZ might be better on Bluray off Redbox.

I do like a lot of dramas and some comedies, but typically I reserve my big-screen money for (1) things I've been dying to see for months or (2) things that might not be 4-star movies but look awesome on the big screen.

That's made me realise I'd rather spend my money on Despicable Me 2 :p IMO, animations are more deserving of the big screen than dramas/comedies (like you said)

Undoubtedly, Pacific Rim will be an amazing visual experience. I'd go see it if movie tickets weren't so expensive, purely for the "big things fighting". It was £8.30 for me to see WWZ last night, and I'm 15. At least with animations, I'll enjoy the visuals and the storyline.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Undoubtedly, Pacific Rim will be an amazing visual experience. I'd go see it if movie tickets weren't so expensive, purely for the "big things fighting". It was £8.30 for me to see WWZ last night, and I'm 15. At least with animations, I'll enjoy the visuals and the storyline.

Yes it sounds like you're in a position where you need to prioritize. Animations (if done well) can be very rewarding on the big screen. i thought the first Despicable Me was rather funny, while also having a kind of sweetness under the surface.

MetalMoon

Yes it sounds like you're in a position where you need to prioritize. Animations (if done well) can be very rewarding on the big screen. i thought the first Despicable Me was rather funny, while also having a kind of sweetness under the surface.

Unfortunately. *sigh* if only movie theatres would lower their prices a tad, I'd definitely go every weekend. Ah well.

I loved the first Despicable Me. It was definitely funny and sweet. And the critics over at RT are lovin' it. (they usually give animations, particularly Pixar, high scores, but nevertheless)