• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Man of Steel

E

Epiphany

Can't believe there's no thread about this movie yet. I just wanted a reason to post this video. But I am actually looking forward to the movie, surprisingly, as I avoid most of the superhero genre these days.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can't believe there's no thread about this movie yet. I just wanted a reason to post this video. But I am actually looking forward to the movie, surprisingly, as I avoid most of the superhero genre these days.

Yes, just as I looked forward to the first Superman movie with Christopher Reeve, many, many years ago...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've got positive hopes for this movie, I guess I've just been jaded too much in the past (and still haven't found a "keeper" movie this season) to dance around about it ahead of time.

The trailers have all been pretty good, it's got michael Shannon (who is an excellent actor, although I'm not sure how he'll play in this role), and I really like the way the trailers have played up Supes' history as an adopted child and whether he really "belongs" here. There's some great lines that are pitting two goods against each other -- such as saving the bus of kids, vs Pa Kent's admonition that maybe he should have just let them drown, and there's validity to both concerns.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry, no John Williams theme song, then it's not Superman.

However, I will give it credit for choosing a villain other than Lex Luthor. Then again, the last Superman that did that was...Superman III.

And one thing I wonder is what the hell was so wrong with Superman Returns? It wasn't even a bad movie, let alone bad enough to warrant a reboot.

What happened to just casting different actors to play the parts and continuing the same timeline? (Though what was wrong with Brandon Routh?)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've got positive hopes for this movie, I guess I've just been jaded too much in the past (and still haven't found a "keeper" movie this season) to dance around about it ahead of time.

You didn't like Star Trek, Ironman 3 or Great Gatsby?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Oh, I liked Star Trek, but I hated Star Trek Into Darkness...well, maybe hate is a strong word, but I can't remember being so downright pissed off by individual aspects of a movie before. And what pisses me off more is the way they're using this new timeline as an excuse to remake the old movies...when they could be exploring new worlds and boldly going where no Star Trek movie has gone before.

Iron Man 3 was good only because of how much better it was than Iron Man 2.

The Great Gatsby would've made me fall asleep if it weren't for the glorious production design. Never before was I in awe of a movie that I wanted to end at the same time.

The best movie of the summer so far was Fast & Furious 6, which was everything a summer movie should be.

And if I could only see one more movie this summer, it would be Pacific Rim.

EDIT: Oh shit, for some reason, I thought you were talking to me.

E

Epiphany

The reboot cycle has become appallingly fast.

Yes, Hollywood has run out of ideas.

With the success of Transformers and...uh...Battleship. (Was that even a success?) They are moving forward with film adaptations of Candy Land, Ouija board, Hungry Hungry Hippo and Stretch Armstrong. Not even making that up.

Although, apparently, Universal dropped the re-make of Clue with Gore Verbinski, which I was actually looking forward to, as a fan of the 80's comedy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I didn't see Gatsby because the reviews were very negative, although a few people I know personally gave the film higher marks. And I like Baz. So I'll watch it on home vid. If I feel motivated, I might even read the book first.

Star Trek and IM3 were enjoyable but have no enduring value to me. I watch the first Star Trek every so often but have little interesting in rewatching the second one. No real interest in rewatching IM3 either. However, I will watch the first IM periodically, it's decent enough.

EDIT: Oh shit, for some reason, I thought you were talking to me.

That's fine, you had more to say about it than I did.

With the success of Transformers and...uh...Battleship. (Was that even a success?) They are moving forward with film adaptations of Candy Land, Ouija board, Hungry Hungry Hippo and Stretch Armstrong. Not even making that up.

Well, Hungry Hungry Hippos is a plus. It deserved more than the pittance it received in Donnie Darko, and the Smurfs already have had two movies, missing genitalia and all.

Although, apparently, Universal dropped the re-make of Clue with Gore Verbinski, which I was actually looking forward to, as a fan of the 80's comedy.

Can the Clue concept even handle a remake? The first was was just good enough to not need a remake, but not good enough to be a classic like Animal House. However, the three endings was inspired.

Gee, I'm having my own idea for a movie. J Geils Band singing Centerfold is just winding up here. Can you imagine a Buckaroo Bonzai style movie with J Geils Band as the heroes, in a rock adventure spanning the cosmos? Yeah. Ain't worse than any of this other crap that the studios are peddling nowadays.

3b3b027270549816167c9780321a11f8.jpg

Freeze Frame is on. I remember dancing to this when I was 12... or rather, watching about 100 girls + 2 gender-variant guys dancing to it while the rest of us just stood around the bleachers nevously. However, it was a go at the roller rink when I wasn't playing Galaxian and Crazy Climber.

E

Epiphany

Can the Clue concept even handle a remake? The first was was just good enough to not need a remake, but not good enough to be a classic like Animal House. However, the three endings was inspired.

That movie is a cult classic, imo. Tim Curry's performance was epic. Though it's a smaller cult than that of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I wouldn't want to see a re-make that is exactly like the original. Perhaps, less humor and more drama. I don't know. I've always liked the board game, which was inspired by murder mystery dinners in the 40's. There's room for originality, I think.

MBTI Type
INTJ
A guy I work with saw Man of Steel and came away extremely disappointed. He thought it was going to be really good, too, so he was taken aback at how much he disliked it. That kind of bummed me out, because the trailers are good.

As for the reboot cycle, it has become appallingly fast. But I don't believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. They simply discard those ideas in favor of known quantities. A superhero movie, a sequel, or something adapted from another medium is a good bet, while an original movie is seen as a liability, not a potential hit. When it all goes bad, Studio Guy A can say "Well, we had so and so A list actor, and the movie was based on a property with a quantifiable audience. It's not my fault." In the last ten years, more than ever, choice of projects to make is based on a calculated risk. That's why you get $250 million superhero movies, kids' animated movies, cheap comedies, indie dramas and horror flicks, and that's it. There isn't a place anymore for the mid-budget movie unless it's got a clear Oscar pedigree.

As always, people need to support the kind of movie they want to see. If people keep going to see Marvel movies and the latest Michael Bay atrocity in staggering numbers, that's what they're going to get more of.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A guy I work with saw Man of Steel and came away extremely disappointed. He thought it was going to be really good, too, so he was taken aback at how much he disliked it. That kind of bummed me out, because the trailers are good.

The trailers for Sucker Punch were good, too...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As for the reboot cycle, it has become appallingly fast. But I don't believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. They simply discard those ideas in favor of known quantities. A superhero movie, a sequel, or something adapted from another medium is a good bet, while an original movie is seen as a liability, not a potential hit. When it all goes bad, Studio Guy A can say "Well, we had so and so A list actor, and the movie was based on a property with a quantifiable audience. It's not my fault." In the last ten years, more than ever, choice of projects to make is based on a calculated risk. That's why you get $250 million superhero movies, kids' animated movies, cheap comedies, indie dramas and horror flicks, and that's it. There isn't a place anymore for the mid-budget movie unless it's got a clear Oscar pedigree.

As always, people need to support the kind of movie they want to see. If people keep going to see Marvel movies and the latest Michael Bay atrocity in staggering numbers, that's what they're going to get more of.

Unfortunately, people are not totally autonomous in this matter. There's a giant media apparatus that shoves people toward Marvel and Michael Bay. The fact that people flock to something doesn't mean it's what they would like best, it just means it's what they know of that they might like.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That movie is a cult classic, imo. Tim Curry's performance was epic. Though it's a smaller cult than that of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Yes, cult but smaller than RHPS. Animal House is larger than cult status IMO.

I own a copy of Clue. It's got some of my favorite actors in it, sometimes understated.

I wouldn't want to see a re-make that is exactly like the original. Perhaps, less humor and more drama. I don't know. I've always liked the board game, which was inspired by murder mystery dinners in the 40's. There's room for originality, I think.

It would have to be reworked and approached differently, yes, rather than a mere remake of the original.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unfortunately, people are not totally autonomous in this matter. There's a giant media apparatus that shoves people toward Marvel and Michael Bay. The fact that people flock to something doesn't mean it's what they would like best, it just means it's what they know of that they might like.

That's of course true, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. They shove people toward those things because they're proven moneymakers. Nobody releases a Marvel movie as a financially risky artistic statement. On top of that, you'd think if people really didn't want those movies they wouldn't go. With multiplexes, people have more choices than they ever have even with the consolidation of production I talked about above. It's not like it used to be where the movie theater in town showed one or two movies and if you didn't like that movie, you didn't go at all. If people need to have their hand held to see a movie without a guy in a cape, I really don't have any sympathy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

F@&^.

As for the reboot cycle, it has become appallingly fast. But I don't believe Hollywood has run out of ideas. They simply discard those ideas in favor of known quantities.

Ding. They don't like to take risks, and a disaster like After Earth doesn't help. Someone's head was rolling after Jack the Giant Killer Slayer too, I think.

A superhero movie, a sequel, or something adapted from another medium is a good bet, while an original movie is seen as a liability, not a potential hit.

Yeah, it's an unknown. They have no way to mitigate risk. As you said, the best bets are to spend a lot of money on known quantities that are likely to reap a lot of reward, or spend almost nothing on a movie that might have a chance to go large. The middle ground is riskiest.

They're also willing at times to take money from a big hit to fund a small project that has the potential for awards. Again, a little buck for the biggest bang and press possible.

Last edited:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's of course true, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing. They shove people toward those things because they're proven moneymakers. Nobody releases a Marvel movie as a financially risky artistic statement. On top of that, you'd think if people really didn't want those movies they wouldn't go. With multiplexes, people have more choices than they ever have even with the consolidation of production I talked about above. It's not like it used to be where the movie theater in town showed one or two movies and if you didn't like that movie, you didn't go at all. If people need to have their hand held to see a movie without a guy in a cape, I really don't have any sympathy.

I'm afraid I think public is terribly impressionable, and also incredibly lazy about looking for anything that isn't immediately thrust into their faces. It's as true of movies as it is of music and pretty much every other artistic endeavor. The fact that such films make money means that people want to see them in a sense, but they effectively don't know what else to see. It kind of goes with J.K. Galbrath's notion that the more commercial any enterprise becomes, and the more technology advances, the more returns will be gotten out of marketing than out of actually supplying a quality product/service. It's surprisingly effective.

Hell, it can even be analogized to modern politics. People vote for what they are told to vote for, basically. And I chuckle every time I hear someone talk about "hidden information" that's actually totally public record. Again, it's because people are lazy about looking for things not thrust in their faces.

Atomic Fiend

There's a big bubble that's about to pop in a bad way, hopefully Man of Steel is recieved well and not the final straw for movie viewers. Also, read Red Son and All Star Superman, John Byrnes Man of Steel, or Superman for All Seasons by (gag) Jeph Loeb. Before he went crazy.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
The original is one of my favorite movies and the pinnacle of superhero cinema AFAIC. Either way, I'm there. I love Superman. And besides: what else am I gonna do this Friday? Play The Last of Us?

(Gorilla Grodd for the sequel, ftw)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No reviews up on RT yet, although all the other Friday releases are up. Here we go again.

There's a big bubble that's about to pop in a bad way, hopefully Man of Steel is recieved well and not the final straw for movie viewers. Also, read Red Son and All Star Superman, John Byrnes Man of Steel, or Superman for All Seasons by (gag) Jeph Loeb. Before he went crazy.

John Byrne was pretty much a win regardless of what he worked on.

Of course, he also has a nasty penchant of trashing his book before leaving for another one. The #1-24 run of "Alpha Flight" is a primary example. But dayum, at least it was always interesting, and he liked to spin stuff on its head!