• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Books Did You Enjoy Reading While a Pre-teen?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
images

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
baby sitter's club
ramona series
fudge series
goosebumps
fear street
a wrinkle in time

and probably more i can't think of

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Roald Dahl
Paul Jennings - a really excellent, off-beat, Aussie short story writer (he's basically the Australian Roald Dahl). I have about 5 of his books!
Goosebumps series
Detective/mystery books - there was one series I read a lot of called The Three Investigators (although it took some serious googling to work out what it was called)
Narnia series
Judy Blume - the Fudge series in particular, which I identified with way too much (especially having a nightmarish younger sibling)
Morris Gleitzman (another Aussie)
Bow Down Shadrach by Joy Cowley :boohoo:
The Haunting by Margaret Mahy
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Hans Christian Anderson
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Under the Mountain by Maurice Gee
The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkein

I hated The Babysitter's Club BTW

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Detective/mystery books - there was one series I read a lot of called The Three Investigators (although it took some serious googling to work out what it was called)

Wooohoooo! Another Three Investigators lover. Who starred in those? Pete, Jupiter, and ?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wooohoooo! Another Three Investigators lover. Who starred in those? Pete, Jupiter, and ?
According to Wikipedia (again, I had to look it up - it's been so long!) it's Pete, Jupiter and Bob. Bob was the one in the glasses and wore the leg brace.

I just remember how cool their headquarters was - with those tunnels and everything :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
- Hardy Boys series. My uncle had about 30 of them that were original printings from the 30s and 40s that had been passed down to him by my grandfather. I ran through all of them at least two or three times.

- Judy Blume series. I came to realize later that they were largely for girls, but someone gave them to me as a kid and I never knew it.

- Choose Your Own Adventure series.

- Encyclopedia Brown series.

- Charlotte's Web

- Johnny Tremain

- Boy Scout Handbook. Practically memorized it.

- Anything about astronomy or space travel. I learned to read largely by reading the solar system section in the world atlas over and over again when I was 4 or 5.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to Wikipedia (again, I had to look it up - it's been so long!) it's Pete, Jupiter and Bob. Bob was the one in the glasses and wore the leg brace.

I just remember how cool their headquarters was - with those tunnels and everything :D

I don't remember much, just the name of the series. By the way, you must have missed my OP which only mentioned that series, no other books (except Hardly Boys).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother had a gigantic book of his I loved marveling over.

Do you know why he always fell backwards into water?

Because that's how divers enter the aquasphere - bass-ackwards.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't remember much, just the name of the series. By the way, you must have missed my OP which only mentioned that series, no other books (except Hardly Boys).
I read your OP but the name didn't click then. I had to put in a bunch of keywords in google to work it out and then had to check if it was the one I was thinking of - and by then I forgot you wrote it. Sorry, my memory is useless.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read your OP but the name didn't click then. I had to put in a bunch of keywords in google to work it out and then had to check if it was the one I was thinking of - and by then I forgot you wrote it. Sorry, my memory is useless.

Yes, just like my wife who remembers every detail of an argument we had back in 2006.

Oh yeah, Charlotte's Web and The Sheep Pig. I liked those both.

I think I enjoyed pretty much anything with animals in it.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't remember reading any kids books, other than 'Kidnapped' and 'treasure island', which my dad gave me.
Also he read to me a lot when I was young, up to about age 12 or so. I loved that. He read all of the James Harriet books (All Creatures Great and Small), Isaac Bashevis Singer, along with others.
Then I got into Shogun and that series, before discovering biographies of Schweitzer, Einstein and others. I loved a book called the Lives of the Great Composers by Harold Shoenberg, that someone gave me as a birthday present. I read that thing several times.
Also: books about cetaceans made me happy for a while, when I thouight I wanted to be a marine biologist.
Yeah, I read a lot.:D

Last edited:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also: books about cetaceans made me happy for a while, when I thouight I wanted to be a marine biologist.

I did this, too. Had some really cool books, volunteered at Marine Land as a teen...until a dolphin bit my hand.

I decided volunteering in medicine might be a bit safer.

I loved mythology (mostly Greek, Norse, and Egyptian), astronomy, meteorology, and speleology. I also had this fascination for cook books, haunted places, and unsolved mysteries. I'm really bad at remembering titles so can only give subjects.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The Three Investigators - Jupiter, Bob, and Pete. Jupiter definitely appears to be an ISTJ. I have every book in that series in PDF format on my computer.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a pre-teen / late elementary? I liked Nancy Drew, remember liking the Ramona series. A lot of individual books that I don't remember the names of anymore. (Oh, I remember really liking Watership Down and the Rats of Nimh books. And The Hobbit of course.)

Actual teen, Dragonriders of Pern series by Mccaffrey, L'engle books, 'Dark is Rising' series, Lloyd Alexander, some fantasy books by Robin Wright (?) ('Hero and the Crown' was the first in the series), Anne of Green Gables series, there was also a horse series I read ('Misty of Chincoteague' comes to mind?), and I remember liking a series where the first book was 'Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry'. Also remember liking a lot of books by Cynthia Voigt. There's a lot more though.