• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Books Did You Enjoy Reading While a Pre-teen?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
...The Warrior Cats books...

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tolkien, Lloyd Alexander, Great Brain, Asimov (I "borrowed" my grandfather's copy of the Foundation trilogy and he wasn't pleased), pretty much all the classic SF, historical fiction, Twain and Dickens and Poe (we had 100 year old complete sets of them), a lot of straight history (started the old Cambridge History of the Ancient World around 12, each volume of 45 or so was a massive brick), 70s & 80s SF/F, etc....

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a pre-teen / late elementary? I liked Nancy Drew, remember liking the Ramona series. A lot of individual books that I don't remember the names of anymore. (Oh, I remember really liking Watership Down and the Rats of Nimh books. And The Hobbit of course.)

Actual teen, Dragonriders of Pern series by Mccaffrey, L'engle books, 'Dark is Rising' series, Lloyd Alexander, some fantasy books by Robin Wright (?) ('Hero and the Crown' was the first in the series), Anne of Green Gables series, there was also a horse series I read ('Misty of Chincoteague' comes to mind?), and I remember liking a series where the first book was 'Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry'. Also remember liking a lot of books by Cynthia Voigt. There's a lot more though.

Her name is Robin McKinley. I have her stuff.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read congo, Shawshank, and some operation book. That's pretty much all the "books" I have ever read. I didn't even read the books school assigned me. I have pretty much spent my whole life reading bits and pieces everywhere and just creating my own understanding mixed with application.

I spent my pre-teen years riding bikes, playing outside, helping my dad fix cars, build things, spent time hanging out with my mom, martial arts, video games. I never really slowed down enough to read a book, not to mention reading a book that was not educational. I only read the 3 I did because my dad side they were good...which they were, but I didn't want to spend my life reading and not living.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Comic books mostly. And the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read congo, Shawshank, and some operation book. That's pretty much all the "books" I have ever read. I didn't even read the books school assigned me. I have pretty much spent my whole life reading bits and pieces everywhere and just creating my own understanding mixed with application.

I spent my pre-teen years riding bikes, playing outside, helping my dad fix cars, build things, spent time hanging out with my mom, martial arts, video games. I never really slowed down enough to read a book, not to mention reading a book that was not educational. I only read the 3 I did because my dad side they were good...which they were, but I didn't want to spend my life reading and not living.

I did both. I was a book-reading hellion on wheels. I read Moby Dick at the age of 10. Somehow, I found time both to read and do crazy shit.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
There was this young adult novel that left a large impact on me called the diamond in the window, or something like that. It was kind of a mystery, about these two siblings who disappeared from their attic bedroom that had a stained glass window with a diamond in it. The protagonists are their decedents, I think, brother and sister, who attempt to find them. Somehow they discover that sharing the room lets them share dreams, and it's discovered that the two kids ended up lost in a dream and stuck there. Somehow they follow their foot prints in dreams of beaches and snow and such and find them. Always thought that was a cool idea.

Also Scary Stories to tell in the Dark.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was an avid reader as a pre-teen...
- I loved the Nancy Drew mysteries and kept all of them (I was looking at The Hidden Staircase nostalgically the other day).
- My dad had a whole collection of encyclopedias and every day I would pick a random letter and start reading.. I learned so much that way.
- I also collected National Geographic magazines, still have them somewhere and they weigh a ton! :laugh:
- Stephen King anything
- All of Anne Rice's vampire series
- Edgar Allen Poe everything
- Anything historical, ancient civilations, The Holocaust (reminds me of Night by Elie Wiesel- loved that little book too), etc
- I found Greek mythology incredibly interesting, so I would read a lot of the stories which also led to my adoration for poets like Shappo and Virgil.
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley was my first introduction to gothic literature and I was hooked.
- So many of the Goosebumps series by R.L Stine (I was obsessed!)
- A ton of individual books for pre-teens, one of my favorites was Speak by Laurie H. Anderson
- Also random comic books my dad owned, the artwork fascinated me.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
When I was ten, I got heavily into the Percy Jackson series. I also really enjoyed reading Greek mythology nonfiction and other miscellaneous, informative books. At eleven, I fell in love with Anne of Green Gables for the first time. Sadly, from twelve to thirteen, I hated reading. Didn't find my love for it until late eighth grade/early high school.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have always loved reading. Middle school I started getting/ switching between- the classics and Stephen King(generally the lighter of both categories).

Some favorites I guess, which I discussed on vent like yesterday so deja-vous(constant vent references too, sorta deja-vousy/annoying) are/were:

The Long Walk, (read carrie, didnt actually really like it- spoiled by the movie I think), It, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Running Man-by King

Fahrenheit 451, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Separate Peace, Animal Farm, ect... I read alot in middle school

Lots of RL Stein in there too, all those teen murder mysteries. And Lurlene Mcdaniels (spelling)- for some reason. Laurie Halse Anderson... fuck if I can remember what else.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did both. I was a book-reading hellion on wheels. I read Moby Dick at the age of 10. Somehow, I found time both to read and do crazy shit.

My list was popular electronics (actual detail of how things work along with schematics and such), popular mechanics, programming magazines, bodybuilding, wood working, etc. Anything and everything ealing with electrical /electronics and how it works. I started programming at 5 with my sister's magazines.

Edit: maybe it was electronics now