• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Trek Into Darkness

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thankfully, this movie is not raking in the box office receipts that Paramount was hoping. Hopefully it will be a lesson for the studio not to assume the audience is not going to get all the Star Trek II/"Space Seed" references. Though it would be nice to get Nicholas Meyer to do a Trek film again. It would also be nice to have Klingons be major adversaries for the next Trek. Of course, that also makes it a little too easy to remake Star Trek III.

Another problem I had with the movie was that I felt sorry for the CG character animators. They were given next to nothing to do aside from a couple of creatures during the opening scene that are barely given a second of screen time.

I will, however, admit that the post stereoscopic conversion for this movie was excellent. And the vfx were very pretty. And the new warp effect is awesome.

Why is everybody missing the point here? THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO GET THE REFERENCES TO A PREVIOUS TREK MOVIE! And even if they don't, it wouldn't affect the movie. Do you really think Abrams is that stupid? Is the internet just a place to randomly trash great movie directors for vague, petty reasons?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nice article about the director and this movie. “Star Trek Into Darkness”: Who made J.J. Abrams the sci-fi god?

A couple excerpts:

"Abrams’ infamous comments that he was never much of a “Star Trek” fan – “It always felt too philosophical to me,” he recently told Jon Stewart..."

"Next up, Abrams plans remakes of “Jaws” and “The Godfather” and “Midnight Cowboy” and “The Exorcist,”..."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice article about the director and this movie. “Star Trek Into Darkness”: Who made J.J. Abrams the sci-fi god?

A couple excerpts:

"Abrams’ infamous comments that he was never much of a “Star Trek” fan – “It always felt too philosophical to me,” he recently told Jon Stewart..."

"Next up, Abrams plans remakes of “Jaws” and “The Godfather” and “Midnight Cowboy” and “The Exorcist,”..."

Thank you for an interesting comment and article.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

A couple excerpts:

Yeah, you sorta get the feeling of that in STID, particularly in the last half hour, where you get the impression that the writers saw Trek 2 and decided to rip off of it, while JJ's direction of those scenes are oblivious of that fact...like he never watched Star Trek in his life. I suppose it was for the better...so that it didn't seem like they were copying it TOO much, but ultimately, they didn't do a very good job. Though I could imagine a 15-year-old teenage girl (one who has never seen anything Star Trek related before 2009) getting choked up over this movie's version of the scenes.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, you sorta get the feeling of that in STID, particularly in the last half hour, where you get the impression that the writers saw Trek 2 and decided to rip off of it, while JJ's direction of those scenes are oblivious of that fact...like he never watched Star Trek in his life. I suppose it was for the better...so that it didn't seem like they were copying it TOO much, but ultimately, they didn't do a very good job. Though I could imagine a 15-year-old teenage girl (one who has never seen anything Star Trek related before 2009) getting choked up over this movie's version of the scenes.

Why a girl? MISOGYNIST ALERT!!

Actually, I'm more offended that they didn't give it to a director who had at least a keen love of the original show. I don't know. Just doesn't seem right. But, that's probably because I had a keen love of the original show.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
:happy2:

I added more, so you'd know where I was coming from.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Allow me to take a leaf from [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]'s method of responding to my statements:

Please don't insinuate that I get the impression that the writers of STID decided to ripoff Wrath. When Ü™ use the word "you" it insinuates that everybody who has seen the movie got the impression that it was a direct ripoff. But that's obviously not the case with yours truly, although the parallels are obvious. Some of us are apparently able to see beyond the superficial level.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I really don't think anyone can read this thread and come away from it with any doubts as to how you feel [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]. Your views are shared by tons of people obviously too. People are just attached to it or not attached to it (Star Trek) in different ways and for different reasons. :)

In my opinion, these recent two movies are practically standalone and really aren't very connected to the original. Therefore, they leave room for a lot of reasons to like and dislike them based solely on their own qualities.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't think anyone can read this thread and come away from it with any doubts as to how you feel [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]. Your views are shared by tons of people obviously too. People are just attached to it or not attached to it (Star Trek) in different ways and for different reasons. :)

In my opinion, these recent two movies are practically standalone and really aren't very connected to the original. Therefore, they leave room for a lot of reasons to like and dislike them based solely on their own qualities.

Oh I see, so I'm attached to the reboot. And THAT explains my views on this movie.

And nobody else on this thread has attachments, they are perfectly objective about everything.

You know what? I far, far prefer the old Khan, and the original Trek in general, over this new stuff. I understand completely that the reboot is supposed to be a money-maker based off of a successful franchise.

However, if this were a ripoff or plagiarism of the old Space Seed/Wrath, it would have had the same plot. It simply does not. And it doesn't take any great objectivity to see that it does not.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh I see, so I'm attached to the reboot. And THAT explains my views on this movie.

And nobody else on this thread has attachments, they are perfectly objective about everything.

You know what? I far, far prefer the old Khan, and the original Trek in general, over this new stuff. I understand completely that the reboot is supposed to be a money-maker based off of a successful franchise.

However, if this were a ripoff or plagiarism of the old Space Seed/Wrath, it would have had the same plot. It simply does not. And it doesn't take any great objectivity to see that it does not.

Huh? I didn't say any of that. Nevermind, I'm out. Argue with yourself.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Huh? I didn't say any of that. Nevermind, I'm out. Argue with yourself.

I didn't say you did. But the accusation made by others that it was plagiarized is very serious and needs to be addressed, whether you said it or not.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You DID say, "People are just attached to it or not..." STID was a fine piece of entertainment. It was not, however, a great movie. It was a good movie, and much attention was paid to the details. Abrams knows what he's doing. But I won't be buying the dvd.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

A couple excerpts:

There's been a number of articles about Abrams, but it all seems too much like gossip to me, and soundbites. For "not caring about Trek" he actually did a pretty remarkable job on the 2009 release. I was kind of annoyed reading some article of gossip masquerading as real news in the Yahoo feed this week, where the writer is really an opinion writer and not an interviewer, explaining why Abrams really hates Star Trek. (That's actually something I hate about the Internet media today... and it's filtered into the paper new mags that actually used to be about 'news' -- it's all opinion columnists masquerading as journalists. Ick.)

I didn't really identify with some of the stuff being said in the quoted article.... although I do agree that Peter Weller looked as leathery as a gator stuck in hot Florida sun after his marsh got sucked away by rogue land developers to build another Disney attraction.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
There's been a number of articles about Abrams, but it all seems too much like gossip to me, and soundbites. For "not caring about Trek" he actually did a pretty remarkable job on the 2009 release. I was kind of annoyed reading some article of gossip masquerading as real news in the Yahoo feed this week, where the writer is really an opinion writer and not an interviewer, explaining why Abrams really hates Star Trek. (That's actually something I hate about the Internet media today... and it's filtered into the paper new mags that actually used to be about 'news' -- it's all opinion columnists masquerading as journalists. Ick.)

I didn't really identify with some of the stuff being said in the quoted article.... although I do agree that Peter Weller looked as leathery as a gator stuck in hot Florida sun after his marsh got sucked away by rogue land developers to build another Disney attraction.

Mmhmm. I agree. Some things I agreed with and some I didn't. It still had a lot of information in it that was useful though for one side or the other. When all is said and done, the movie I really want to see is the parody starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy et. al.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't think Abrams is a bad director, actually. I think he's the closest we're going to get to having another pre-Jurassic Park Steven Spielberg (Abrams cowrote Armageddon, as well). I'm sorry, but Spielberg has not made a memorable science fiction adventure movie since Jurassic Park. And though I did like A.I. and Minority Report (hated War of the Worlds), neither had the same childlike sense of wonder his movies of the '80s and early '90s did. Super 8 did a really good job at recapturing what Spielberg was known for in the early part of his career. I think Schindler's List opened a Pandora's box for Spielberg, pushing him in favor of the art house critics rather than the general audience. After Schindler's List (and the ensuing Oscar win), most his movies became noticeably more cynical and even PC.

Back to the Star Trek prequels (I consider them prequels, because they're no doubt connected to the other 10 movies (or rather the 6 with the original crew)). Unfortunately, they didn't have the best scripts, but they had good direction, and the performances were wonderful (especially Karl Urban's Bones in STID -- I actually believed he was DeForest Kelley). Even STID was well-directed, mostly the story pissed me off.

And thinking about it, I don't think Nicholas Meyer was a big Trek fan when he directed 2 and 6. I think he might've said so on an audio commentary. I'll have to check later when I feel like it.

And I'd still like to see more Treks that are like Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, where they actually do explore new worlds and not just fight off genocidal baddies. Just hire an editor this time.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think Abrams is a bad director, actually. I think he's the closest we're going to get to having another pre-Jurassic Park Steven Spielberg (Abrams cowrote Armageddon, as well). I'm sorry, but Spielberg has not made a memorable science fiction adventure movie since Jurassic Park. And though I did like A.I. and Minority Report (hated War of the Worlds), neither had the same childlike sense of wonder his movies of the '80s and early '90s did. Super 8 did a really good job at recapturing what Spielberg was known for in the early part of his career. I think Schindler's List opened a Pandora's box for Spielberg, pushing him in favor of the art house critics rather than the general audience. After Schindler's List (and the ensuing Oscar win), most his movies became noticeably more cynical and even PC.

Back to the Star Trek prequels (I consider them prequels, because they're no doubt connected to the other 10 movies (or rather the 6 with the original crew)). Unfortunately, they didn't have the best scripts, but they had good direction, and the performances were wonderful (especially Karl Urban's Bones in STID -- I actually believed he was DeForest Kelley). Even STID was well-directed.

And thinking about it, I don't think Nicholas Meyer was a big Trek fan when he directed 2 and 6. I think he might've said so on an audio commentary. I'll have to check later when I feel like it.

And I'd still like to see more Treks that are like Star Trek: The Motionless Picture, where they actually do explore new worlds and not just fight off genocidal baddies. Just hire an editor this time.

Motionless, yes, and no. I recall a scene containing jiggling boobies in that one. And I was at just the right age to get some real enjoyment out of it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Motionless? REALLY! Scroll to 2:37 of this video if you want to see some motion.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This douche thinks there is a continuity error between Space Seed and STID.

A continuity error over 40 years time? Real time? And different shows?

Geesh, the effort some people will go to.