• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

1980s culture

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm 38 and I came of age in the 80s, which means that I am forever doomed to find jean jackets with 100 buttons and sweatshirts with the neck torn wide enough to expose the shoulder oddly sexy.

Great, that means I'll be stuck being attracted to women who either wish they lived in the 80's or the 40's. Or not, cause I don't like either that much (especially 80's).

Seriously, why has the 80's made such a come back. Not to insult the 80's, but in my 2000's eyes, its the freakin' dark ages of recent society. I really don't know why 80's fashion and music are making a comeback or at least influencing modern trends. I hate all this new wave stuff, and how every artist who used to be "pop-punk" now has a drum machine and synths. The only good thing about the 80's was rap, and rap just has to be the one style of very popular music that isn't trying to be like the 80's :steaming: At least the 40's had awesome noir movies /rant

heart

heart on fire
Seriously, why has the 80's made such a come back. Not to insult the 80's, but in my 2000's eyes, its the freakin' dark ages of recent society. I really don't know why 80's fashion and music are making a comeback or at least influencing modern trends. I hate all this new wave stuff, and how every artist who used to be "pop-punk" now has a drum machine and synths.

Blaspheme! :shock: The 80's was the last gasp of civilization and culture. Then it all went to rap crap.

The only good thing about the 80's was rap, and rap just has to be the one style of very popular music that isn't trying to be like the 80's :steaming: At least the 40's had awesome noir movies /rant

Rap was the worst thing to come out of the 80's. The rap in the 80's was good, (like Grandmaster Flash "whitelines" etc) but after that...:sick:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Rap was the worst thing to come out of the 80's. The rap in the 80's was good, but after that...:sick:
I totally agree. I don't know what happened... I guess once rap became like a big chart-topping business it all went to hell. There is still good underground rap, but the stuff you mostly hear/hear about is aweful and doesn't do justice to what rap is and can be. Its sad because new listners to rap will make the wrong assumptions on it based on the popular stuff.

/second rant of this thread, and this one is way off topic. I'll shut up.

But ok, 80's style... leg warmers? I don't think so. Teased hair? I associate it with men, personally, so that does nothing for me. Leather jackets and torn jeans? They come hand in hand with the teased hair, so no, still nothing. The 80's is definitely a "you had to be there" type thing, isn't it? Not that my generation is actually any better, though, lets be honest.

heart

heart on fire
I totally agree. I don't know what happened... I guess once rap became like a big chart-topping business it all went to hell. ...

Yes, almost as if it were purposely hijacked to turn it into a base, cheap, grotesque caricature of its former self.

Not that my generation is actually any better, though, lets be honest.

My dear, your generation is going about wearing their pants below their bottom. ;)

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
:doh: at the '80s.

I like it in an ironic way. And slightly in a Peter Gabriel way. But it's like the enemy of substance.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The 80's is awesome. All of it.

The 80's were fucking horrible, especially since it's the first decade I can remember. I thought a bubbly, inexplicably-dressed youth culture, materialism and uniformly poor male hair-decisions were conditions of life. I didn't realize then that it was just an awful phase the west was going through. No wonder heroin was so popular in the early-90s.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Big plastic combs.
Painter caps.
Overalls.
Long colorful socks.
Rainbow suspenders.
Big foofy hair.
Glitter makeup.
Boy George.
Girly heavy metal stars.
Mohawks and piercings and tattoos while they were still counter-cultural.
Duran Duran.
Plaid wool skirts.
Izod shirts.
Docksides.
Penny loafers.
Jean jackets.
Big girl glasses with arms connected to the frame bottoms.
Chintzy "going out" medallions, where each lover can wear half.

What's not to love?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Big plastic combs.
Painter caps.
Overalls.
Long colorful socks.
Rainbow suspenders.
Big foofy hair.
Glitter makeup.
Boy George.
Girly heavy metal stars.
Mohawks and piercings and tattoos while they were still counter-cultural.
Duran Duran.
Plaid wool skirts.
Izod shirts.
Docksides.
Penny loafers.
Jean jackets.
Big girl glasses with arms connected to the frame bottoms.
Chintzy "going out" medallions, where each lover can wear half.

What's not to love?

There are those with talent but no perserverance. We call those humanity's wasted opportunities.

There are those with perserverance but no talent, we call them Phil Collins.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...There are those with perserverance but no talent, we call them Phil Collins.

Oh, you're just jealous that a bald trollish talentless guy made it big, against all odds. :D

I guess at least Robin Williams had talent. (and some hair.)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Now look what you've gone and done! It's going to be Degarmo and Key's Greatest Hits for me all day for me now. :dont:

Boycott hell! Boycott hell! :headphne:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
At least the 80s gave us great classic movies in the Action Genre, which recently has turned to shit. Say what you will about the decade, but movies like Ironman and Snakes on a Plane can't hold a candle to Predator, Rambo: First Blood or Mad Max

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I actually think that the '80s were second to the '60s in terms of great music that was released. Look at all these artists:

U2
The Police
Talking Heads
The Replacements
R.E.M.
Prince
The Smiths
The Cure
The Stone Roses'
The Jesus and Mary Chain
The Jam and The Clash were still making a few good albums
Michael Jackson
Madonna
Depeche Mode
Echo and the Bunnymen
New Order
Sonic Youth
Public Enemy
Run-D.M.C.
Beastie Boys
Elvis Costello
The Pixies
Metallica (when they were good)
Bruce Springsteen
Jane's Addiction
Guns N' Roses
Peter Gabriel
Genesis
EPMD
LL Cool J

And the one-hit wonders back then were much better (in general) than those of the last 15-20 years. The 1990s were very good for British rock, trip-hop, some subgenres of hip-hop, and electronic music, but the most popular stuff was rarely amongst the best (which happened in the '60s regularly, and the '80s often).

MBTI Type
ENTP
The 1990s were very good for British rock, trip-hop, some subgenres of hip-hop, and electronic music, but the most popular stuff was rarely amongst the best (which happened in the '60s regularly, and the '80s often).

The problem with your reasoning is that the great bands you came up with (and mind, I don't think all of your choices are great) were not necessarily indicative of the rest of the music that was around in the day. I'm reminded of the song review of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" I read once on AMG:
Instantly memorable, sparkling with rough energy (compared to the amount of glossy pop on the air in 1987, "Just Like Heaven" seems like a rough demo),
I remembered that quote because it makes the music that occurred concurrently with this song sound like it would be absolutely horrible.
The 80s was afflicted with crappy bubblegum pop just like every other decade.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The problem with your reasoning is that the great bands you came up with (and mind, I don't think all of your choices are great) were not necessarily indicative of the rest of the music that was around in the day. I'm reminded of the song review of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" I read once on AMG: I remembered that quote, because it makes the rest of the music that occurred concurrently with this song sound absolutely horrible to me.
The 80s was afflicted with crappy bubblegum pop just like every other decade.

Yep, and he also included genesis as a great band :huh:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yep, and he also included genesis as a great band :huh:

I think most 80s music just sounds so dated, even stuff I do like. The style is just hilarious. They tried so hard to be cutting-edge and futuristic that fashion eventually became a self-parody and imploded. Take movies like Total Recall, for example: 'In the future, everything will be even more 80s!". It's no wonder that grunge was formed.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
There are those with talent but no perserverance. We call those humanity's wasted opportunities.

There are those with perserverance but no talent, we call them Phil Collins.

I'm gonna need that for a sig. May I?