• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Matrix As Told By Mom

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A. Should this become a video series?
B. Is it implicitly sexist? Explicitly sexist?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think it's sexist at all. He's spoofing his mom. What's sexist to assume that because this person is a woman and she is being spoofed that this is a spoof of women who can't understand the matrix because they are female. I really don't even think it's offensive to the mom because its not presented as if she's too dumb to understand it, she just isn't really interested.

I could see someone saying "oh man women just can't understand complex plots/are wusses" but I think that would be a projection of their preexisting attitudes and not something expresses from the video.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's sexist at all. He's spoofing his mom. What sexist to assume that because this person is a woman and she is being spoofed that this is a spoof of women who can't understand the matrix because they are female. I really don't even think it's offensive to the mom because its not presented as if she's too dumb to understand it, she just isn't really interested.

I'll watch it when I get home, but as a side note, immediately what I'm reminded of is this exchange:

Neo: You're Trinity? I thought you were a guy.
Trinity: Most guys do.

Getting back to your comment, I think it's important to remember (especially on a type site) that people aren't necessarily unable to understand something, they sometimes just don't care enough to want to understand / don't have an interest in it.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I sense a lot of history in this interaction - I wouldn't assume that the Mom doesn't get it so much as she knows that her meanderings are amusing to everyone and she thus spoofs it up deliberately too.

It was funny though ... Moshimo, priceless!

So, to answer your questions:

A. Should this become a video series?
>>>>>>Why not? If Mom is cool with it and understands the ribbing, realizes she's a foil ... that would be the important point to me.

B. Is it implicitly sexist? Explicitly sexist?
>>>>>>No, I don't think so and not necessarily, but you could more legitimately say there's some ageism in this. Most people I know who don't "get" The Matrix" simply have no understanding of the digital realm, and most of those folks tend to be older adults.

eta: could be a bit of Sensor bias too.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it's sexist at all. He's spoofing his mom. What's sexist to assume that because this person is a woman and she is being spoofed that this is a spoof of women who can't understand the matrix because they are female. I really don't even think it's offensive to the mom because its not presented as if she's too dumb to understand it, she just isn't really interested.

I could see someone saying "oh man women just can't understand complex plots/are wusses" but I think that would be a projection of their preexisting attitudes and not something expresses from the video.

Yes, but she also closed her eyes at the scary parts.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I think it's just mostly clear from the video that Mom doesn't have enough interest in The Matrix to pay all that much attention. She's not really into the theory and she dislikes violence. I agree that it's less sexist than ageist, and not really even -ist at all. It's endearing, certainly.

It's sort of mean, unless Mom understands that she's coming across as this character. I don't think I would watch a series because I would feel uncomfortable about how Mom is being portrayed.