• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are you listening to?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

This band/music project is my new favorite thing.

L

LadyLazarus

"Get a little closer, let fold
Cut open my sternum, and pull
My little ribs around you
The lungs of me be crowns over you"

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This band/music project is my new favorite thing.

When listening to this, I don't know if I should be mentally teleported to the 60's or 90's. This is quite confusing. Maybe I should just physically go back in time and assassinate Nickleback and save both grunge and motown as we know it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When listening to this, I don't know if I should be mentally teleported to the 60's or 90's. This is quite confusing. Maybe I should just physically go back in time and assassinate Nickleback and save both grunge and motown as we know it.
I will never understand the vitriol for Nickelback. Anyone who knows the genre (post-grunge, not grunge) knows there are far worse bands than Nickelback that top the genre charts. I can only presume that most people who hate Nickelback don't know the genre, but know Nickelback because they crossed into Top 40.

It's not that Nickelback doesn't have bad lyrics. It's that it feels like hearing hundreds of people screaming their heads off about a C-rated romantic comedy, having never seen an F. Until I moved to a part of the country that wasn't familiar with post-grunge, I was used to people either liking Nickelback, or giving it that C-rated review -- "meh" -- or outright saying they weren't their favorite thing. Not exaggerated, fake-murderous rage.

Alternately -- and this might not be you, so I'm just saying in general -- it seems like people think they're cooler for violently hating Nickelback. Like it's a sweet new trend that will make more people like them.

Last edited:

Eluded_One

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will never understand the vitriol for Nickelback. Anyone who knows the genre (post-grunge, not grunge) knows there are far worse bands than Nickelback that top the genre charts. I can only presume that most people who hate Nickelback don't know the genre, but know Nickelback because they crossed into Top 40.

It's not that Nickelback doesn't have bad lyrics. It's that it feels like hearing hundreds of people screaming their heads off about a C-rated romantic comedy, having never seen an F. Until I moved to a part of the country that wasn't familiar with post-grunge, I was used to people eithet liking Nickelback, or giving it that C-rated review -- "meh" -- or outright saying they weren't their favorite thing. Not exaggerated, fake-murderous rage.

Alternately -- and this might not be you, so I'm just saying in general -- it seems like people think they're cooler for violently hating Nickelback. Like it's a sweet new trend that will make more people like them.

I listen to Nickelback from time to time. The comment was directed towards the theory on if Nickelback killed grunge or rock in general. Which I find really silly to begin with. As a personal rule, I have to make fun of the stuff I like every now and then to keep my ego in check. Which is the contrary to how I was brought up. And yes, I did like the video you posted.

I'm all about bad music.

W

WALMART

Like Diogenes, grunge killed itself - a display of pure power over the will to life

Bush is post-grunge though. Nickleback is post-alt? (Wikipedia tells me I'm wrong, preserving content for posterity.)

Eluded_One

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like Diogenes, grunge killed itself - a display of pure power over the will to life

Bush is post-grunge though. Nickleback is post-alt? (Wikipedia tells me I'm wrong, preserving content for posterity.)

I'll never fully understand these musical labels as post-grunge, post-rock, and post-punk. Everything has it's influences. If you can't see something as newly made and not totally recycled, you're either a music snob or a hipster.

It's as if anything post-Kurt Cobain is post-grunge. The Seattle scene was NOT only Kurt.

W

WALMART

I'll never fully understand these musical labels as post-grunge, post-rock, and post-punk. Everything has it's influences. If you can't see something as newly made and not totally recycled, you're either a music snob or a hipster.

It's as if anything post-Kurt Cobain is post-grunge. The Seattle scene was NOT only Kurt.

maybe i'm a music snob and a hipster

this argument is like saying all matter defies form, let's cease the application of language

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Hadn't heard of post-alt before. I had thought post-grunge was anything that took the fuzz and crunch and growl from grunge and made it streamlined, sleek, produced, and crossover radio friendly in an almost popsy kind of way. But I sort of made that up, because Wikipedia's definition wasn't much help. :shrug:

W

WALMART

Hadn't heard of post-alt before. I had thought post-grunge was anything that took the fuzz and crunch and growl from grunge and made it streamlined, sleek, produced, and REALLY radio-accessible. But I sort of made that up, because Wikipedia's definition wasn't much help. :shrug:

Genres are all about making stuff up!

Eluded_One

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this argument is like saying all matter defies form, let's cease the application of language

I didn't say anything about not labeling music, or in your words, "cease the application of language". Anything with the prefix "post-" is a very moldy perception. Music should be approached as new and refreshing.

Shame on your hipster ways!