• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is hard rock music completely dead in our day and age?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems very few people where I live listen to rock music especially hard rock. Now growing up in the 1990s everyone was either into rock (or rap, but the rap of the 90s wasnt at all like it is today), now it seems all people listen to is poppy RnB, Reggae, dubstep, and Lady Gaga. This might just be a local thing, as I live in a city where subculture is completely dead. But it seems hard rock has died unfortunetly, which is why I think what the stuff the mainstream music industry is currently producing is boring, period. I still occasionaly see guys with band t shirts etc but its rare...whats happening to hard rock and all its subgenres? Is it dead where you live also or am I just in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not dead; it's just not quite as mainstream as it used to be. You might have to look in places where you normally wouldn't think to in order to find it. I personally prefer voca-rock, but I'm into all of that Japanese stuff. I'm sure that you can find some good music if you just look. I really am not sure what's going on with the American hard rock scene, but I can't believe that it would be dead.

Even if it's not in popular culture, you can always look to the classics, anyway.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, what counts as rock? Most of the bands I prefer I guess would qualify as related to rock in instrumentation but are more punk/post punk/rockabilly/old school rocknroll/alternative influenced than metal/classic/glam/hairbandinfluenced.

I think most rock they play o the radio is kind of the rock equivalent of club music, very sex and party related but with a weird undercurrent or dumb machismo (see nickelback). Basically generic mass appeal rock with out the psychedelic or dark or technical or progressive elements or reguonal influences or soul that make other rock groups great.

Modern groups I like that I would consider rock related:

The growlers
Wavves
Jacuzzi boys
Jay reatard (though no longer)
Best coast
Coat hangers
Black Lips
Japanther
Vivian girls

There not particularly "hard" but I'm not really into that scene.

I'm sure there will be a resurgence after people crap themselves put on modern disco.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it seems that rock is dead in Seattle.

KUrt.jpg

MBTI Type
INTJ
When I go to shows I see lots of kids, and when hard rock albums are released they often chart well the first week or two. I don't think it's dead, but it's not a part of the larger culture like it once was from the 60s to the 90s. It's more of a live draw, and a small but viable core of fans still buy the records.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
D Jr just put out a new album, as did David Bowie and I think iggy pop is also

Title

there, there
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
etc
Of course rock isn't dead. Have you been on the internet?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP

lol, well it's not 1994 anymore!
I'm in a 'rock band' and the scene here is dead. I'm tellin' ya.
On top of that, people don't seem to go out and see music anymore, of any kind. I went to Neumo's last Friday night, here in Seattle, to see a friend do his rap thing, and it was only half full. That's a big name club too. I've played so many gigs where it was full for the opening band, then 10:00 PM rolls around and everyone goes home to relieve the baby sitter. Blah... A pal theorizes that people get their music through digital means and that cell phones eat up money that would have been used for going out to see music.
Might as well stay home with PPV and recorded music...

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol, well it's not 1994 anymore!
I'm in a 'rock band' and the scene here is dead. I'm tellin' ya.
On top of that, people don't seem to go out and see music anymore, of any kind. I went to Neumo's last Friday night, here in Seattle, to see a friend do his rap thing, and it was only half full. That's a big name club too. I've played so many gigs where it was full for the opening band, then 10:00 PM rolls around and everyone goes home to relieve the baby sitter. Blah...

Yeah, I was a little confused if that was a reference to Kurt Cobain or not, lol.

You said they love rock in Europe, and thats only true depending on were you are. I live in Brussels Belgium and I can tell you me and my best friend are the only people who dont listen to RnB. Im sure that in places like Germany or Scandinavia that are known for their subcultures you could find alot of people into any kind of rock you want; but here? Sure, many people are into the classic stuff but its not the young generation at all.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It's not endorsed much by the mainstream, but rock music still has loyal fans.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
It's not endorsed much by the mainstream, but rock music still has loyal fans.

Oh, I agree; I was just pointing out the local scene. There are active scenes all over the county. Pearl Jam charges $1million for a show, and they tour all of the time.
Rock's in a fallow period... it will be back!
Gonna listen to some rock now!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on the region. IME, where you have rednecks, you have hard rock. This includes the South, the Midwest, and the Rocky Mountain West.

I'm from the latter of those three, and most people there either listen to hard rock radio*, Top 40, or country. No rap and nothing in Spanish (because of how white my freaking state is), and there wasn't much indie rock until the indie station showed up in 2005 or so. I always listened to hard rock and indie rock, and was disillusioned by the others.

[MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION], where are you from?

*Loosely defined. They played anything from Nirvana (grunge) to Nickelback (post-grunge) to Metallica (old-school metal) to Tool (new-school metal) to Black Stone Cherry (southern rock).

I

Infinite Bubble

What does the term 'dead' actually mean? Demotion from mainstream music? It will continue to influence music in the future, and that is what happens with all genres: they continually warp and change into new forms. Nothing can stay the same forever. Rock can never be dead in this sense, as it is set in history and other types of music will be derived from it, which without rock music it could never exist in the first place.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Depends on the region. IME, where you have rednecks, you have hard rock. This includes the South, the Midwest, and the Rocky Mountain West.

I'm from the latter of those three, and most people there either listen to hard rock radio*, Top 40, or country. No rap and nothing in Spanish (because of how white my freaking state is), and there wasn't much indie rock until the indie station showed up in 2005 or so. I always listened to hard rock and indie rock, and was disillusioned by the others.

[MENTION=17729]Typh0n[/MENTION], where are you from?

*Loosely defined. They played anything from Nirvana (grunge) to Nickelback (post-grunge) to Metallica (old-school metal) to Tool (new-school metal) to Black Stone Cherry (southern rock).

Where are you from? I grew up in the rockies in Montana.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, damn. :/ Makes sense that they wouldn't be as into hard rock over there.

Yeah? Why does that make sense we wouldnt be as into hard rock? Becuase theyres no rednecks out here as you wrote about on in your first post :p? Just curious what you mean by that.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah? Why does that make sense we wouldnt be as into hard rock? Becuase theyres no rednecks out here as you wrote about on in your first post :p? Just curious what you mean by that.
Pretty much. I see hard rock as being raw, unsophisticated, and rough around the edges -- all qualities that I see as being MUCH more appealing to Americans (esp. rural white Americans) than to Belgians.