• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Duck Dynasty

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Am I insane or is this the best reality show ever?

I saw the previews and had zero interest in watching some illiterate rednecks run around the woods, but it happened to be on after Bates Motel last night, and I realized it was a show about some very clever, quick-witted traditional Southerners, and it was really hilarious in parts.

I've noticed there's more and more of these Southern Americana type of shows on television now, but I would definitely take this over the frankly humiliating Buck Wild, which is NOT about average people from West Virginia, but about some decrepit morons from Sissonville.

I swear to you my mom is just like Miss Kay from Duck Dynasty. And I can't get over how they're actually always drinking iced tea. That's not for show, that's really accurate, I swear when I was a teenager my family drank gallons of the stuff daily.

images

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was expecting a post about how this generation of teenage white girls spawned a dynasty of ducks, but this works as well.

Alas, I don't live in the US.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think my favorite people on the show are Phil and Miss Kay. And Si is like that weird uncle who lives up the holler.

So much like my mom. So much.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'd pick Being Bobby Brown, though replay value to me is ultimately contingent on dynamics that erupt when main "characters" swing from lacking any recognizable trace of awareness to just the opposite. The direction and timbre of the wind at the 16th minute.

Which flavor of absurd you're in the mood for: celebrity washups garble-screaming each other to boils before breaking out random sing-song or 6ft beards with legs mumbling about gophers while getting lost on commercial rooftops with a stupid number of explosives.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd pick Being Bobby Brown, though replay value to me is ultimately contingent on dynamics that erupt when main "characters" swing from lacking any recognizable trace of awareness to just the opposite. The direction and timbre of the wind at the 16th minute.

Which flavor of absurd you're in the mood for: celebrity washups garble-screaming each other to boils before breaking out random sing-song or 6ft beards with legs mumbling about gophers while getting lost on commercial rooftops with a stupid number of explosives.

I tend to like to watch things about people I'd actually want to hang out with. I used to like to watch Viva La Bam, I loved that show, it was so much ...eh..warmer...than Jackass because it included Bam's whole family. Plus I just had a crush on Bam Margera ten years ago.

I tend to become irritated by reality shows about people I'd never want to talk to IRL. Things like the Jersey Shore or Mob Wives, I needed only to watch one or two episodes before hating it completely.

I can't even stand to have Keeping Up with the Kardashians on in the background. My ex-fwb, his sister loved that show, and I saw more snatches and tiny pieces of it than even made me feel comfortable. Stuff like that just makes me feel like vomiting.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I swear to you my mom is just like Miss Kay from Duck Dynasty. And I can't get over how they're actually always drinking iced tea. That's not for show, that's really accurate, I swear when I was a teenager my family drank gallons of the stuff daily.

Ha...no you are not insane!

And my dad reminds me so much of Phil (if my dad would have been nicer, he would have been like him).

Oh man...I can't remember the last time I heard the expression "up the holler"! :D Awesome!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ha...no you are not insane!

And my dad reminds me so much of Phil (if my dad would have been nicer, he would have been like him).

Oh man...I can't remember the last time I heard the expression "up the holler"! :D Awesome!

Your dad was like Phil? I think Phil is so funny and clever...ha ha. I can see where that kind of thing could lean toward meanness though.

My mom lives down in a holler, near a crick. This is how my relatives talk, me just learn to talk pretty. It slips out sometimes though, I was really surprised the other day, I was tired (it always comes out when I'm tired, drinking or upset, I'll start yelling shit when I'm mad at my boyfriends like "I done got told..." :doh:) ...a customer of mine said "where are you from? I hear something. Just faintly, but I do hear it."

Totally off topic for thread, but on topic re: hollers...

:smile:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your dad was like Phil? I think Phil is so funny and clever...ha ha. I can see where that kind of thing could lean toward meanness though.

My mom lives down in a holler, near a crick. This is how my relatives talk, me just learn to talk pretty. It slips out sometimes though, I was really surprised the other day, I was tired (it always comes out when I'm tired, drinking or upset, I'll start yelling shit when I'm mad at my boyfriends like "I done got told..." :doh:) ...a customer of mine said "where are you from? I hear something. Just faintly, but I do hear it."

Yeah mine bleeds out when I'm tired. Or yelling at my kids, "I bin tol' y'all ta git ta bed!" Or talking to family. I've surprised my roommate at times because I sound so very different. I cover it up most of the time because people are under the impression that Southern English = bad English and I get tired of explaining it's not.

Marm...your accent is Appalachian, right? I've got a coastal Southern accent. There's a guy that works at a store across the street that's from Arkansas. I always hope he's in there when I go shopping just to chat with him and hear him talk...it helps that he's very pleasant to look at and flirt with. :D

You're going to have to come visit, so we can sit around, drink ice tea, and talk in accents that only we understand! :happy2:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I saw the previews and had zero interest in watching some illiterate rednecks run around the woods, but it happened to be on after Bates Motel last night, and I realized it was a show about some very clever, quick-witted traditional Southerners, and it was really hilarious in parts.

I've noticed there's more and more of these Southern Americana type of shows on television now, but I would definitely take this over the frankly humiliating Buck Wild, which is NOT about average people from West Virginia, but about some decrepit morons from Sissonville.

images

I don't watch too much in the way of reality TV (my ENFJ watches much more) but we love this show. I also drink tons of iced tea (unsweetened) daily. I even have Si's iced tea jug. I had it long before this show and my kids think it's hilarious to point out.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

:smile:

Marmotini,

I, too, am from Southern Appalachia (actually, I still live there/here). I have family that lives across the river from West Virginia, across the Big Sandy, and regardless of what you may have heard, we are not cannibals. I've been told that once upon a time, people across the river believed we were cannibals. haha. Anyway, I was born in a holler but now I live up on a ridge. However, here we don't say crik. We say creek, but we have our "own" vocabulary. Don't know if it'll ever make it on television or not though...hopefully, not:)

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
DD have announced to Fox News this week that they're stopping after this 11th Season.
Both the network and the stars of DD (The Robertsons) have decided to end this show.