• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jurassic Park back on the big screen...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just left the theater. Brings back memories. It's time for a new JP video game.

It was awesome, the dinosaurs were bigger and better than ever. I teared up when they first see the brachiosaurs, it was magnificent; and I scrambled back in my seat when that velociraptor tried to jump after the girl through the hole in the ceiling. I also love triceratops and am glad they included a scene with one; the actors did a great job providing passionate responses to this critters, which made it seem like I was there with them.

They did a really decent job with the 3D, I thought.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Symphony of Science - The World of the Dinosaurs

E

Epiphany

It was awesome, the dinosaurs were bigger and better than ever. I teared up when they first see the brachiosaurs, it was magnificent; and I scrambled back in my seat when that velociraptor tried to jump after the girl through the hole in the ceiling. I also love triceratops and am glad they included a scene with one; the actors did a great job providing passionate responses to this critters, which made it seem like I was there with them.

They did a really decent job with the 3D, I thought.

Yes, the 3D was amazing! I am a man so I'm incapable of crying, but if I weren't and felt compelled to shed a tear, it would be at the end when the T-Rex is roaring and the banner falls down which reads: "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth." Or when the helicopter is flying away during the theme song.

Damn you, Spielberg!

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes, the 3D was amazing! I am a man so I'm incapable of crying, but if I weren't and felt compelled to shed a tear, it would be at the end when the T-Rex is roaring and the banner falls down which reads: "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth." Or when the helicopter is flying away during the theme song.

Damn you, Spielberg!

I just finished watching it and uh...no emotional response, really. First time I've seen it in over 10 years.

I don't know--maybe I just don't have it anymore but the magic was completely gone for me. I was hoping for some nostalgia to kick in or to feel like I was struggling with puberty again or something. Nothing. In fact, I ended up researching raptors on wikipedia (turns out they had feathers--no joke).

Either way, it was pretty cool when the T-Rex ate the Jeep, I guess. I don't know.

*shrugs*

E

Epiphany

I just finished watching it and uh...no emotional response, really. First time I've seen it in over 10 years.

I don't know--maybe I just don't have it anymore but the magic was completely gone for me. I was hoping for some nostalgia to kick in or I'd feel like I was struggling with puberty again or something. Nothing.

It was cool when the T-Rex ate the Jeep, I guess. I don't know.

*shrugs*

I didn't have an emotional reaction either. I did get choked up watching it as a youth though; not gonna lie.

The 3D aspect was fun, but I've seen that movie way too many times for any novelty to affect me. I nearly quoted the whole film in my head.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I didn't have an emotional reaction either. But I did get choked up watching it as a youth; not gonna lie.

The 3D aspect was fun, but I've seen that movie way too many times for any novelty to affect me. I nearly quoted the whole film in my head.

I hate 3D. That crap disorients me for hours.
And I'm kinda selfish--I'm not sharing a theater with other people.

If they re-release Jaws in 3D, I may consider seeing that.
Maybe Independence Day, too. Never can have enough Goldblum.

E

Epiphany

I hate 3D. That crap disorients me for hours.
And I'm kinda selfish--I'm not sharing a theater with other people.

If they re-release Jaws in 3D, I may consider seeing that.
Maybe Independence Day, too. Never can have enough Goldblum.

I'd have to pass on Independence Day, though Goldblum did have the most interesting character in Jurassic Park, aside from the velociraptors.

E

Epiphany

In fact, I ended up researching raptors on wikipedia (turns out they had feathers--no joke).

Yes, it wasn't known that velociraptors had feathers until after the first movie came out. JP3 included feathers on the head. Similarly, it is now believed that the T-Rex's vision was not evaded by being still, but since that is a "law" in the Jurassic Park universe, they can't change it for the sake of consistency.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My friend and I were laughing over the foibles in the movie that still exist... the biggest being the fact that the T-Rex paddock starts with the goat level with the vehicles and the T-Rex capable of just stepping out into the road... and suddenly there's a 30-40' drop where the stable ground used to be, that one of the vehicles is pushed over. Wtf? The classic part is that if you're too caught up in the action, you might not even notice until later as you're thinking about the scene.

And then the computers start as Macs, and then somehow become "UNIX" systems (which I think at the time were traditionally text-based, not GUI... and any GUI would have been unknown to "hacker girl"... who btw didn't seem like much of a hacker, really, in personality).

And then there's the computer that flashes "System Ready" although the power is still out; I'm hoping they'll blame that on a UPS or something.

I don't know--maybe I just don't have it anymore but the magic was completely gone for me. I was hoping for some nostalgia to kick in or to feel like I was struggling with puberty again or something. Nothing. In fact, I ended up researching raptors on wikipedia (turns out they had feathers--no joke).

Bummer. Seriously. I wasn't expecting a response from myself when I went. Again, a lot of my response came because I was watching the response of the characters, who were stunned and amazed. I felt it because they felt it.

Either way, it was pretty cool when the T-Rex ate the Jeep, I guess. I don't know. *shrugs*

My favorite with T-Rex is when it plows through that tree while chasing the jeep, as if the tree is made of cardboard. (Which, realistically, as part of a movie set, maybe it was...!) And Laura Dern screaming "Shiiiiiiiittt!" over and over at the top of her lungs. lol.

Yes, it wasn't known that velociraptors had feathers until after the first movie came out. JP3 included feathers on the head. Similarly, it is now believed that the T-Rex's vision wasn't evaded by being still, but since that is a "law" in the Jurassic Park universe, they can't change it for the sake of consistency.

Yeah, I found it interesting that Creighton's first book and then the movie incorporated "new ideas" about dinosaurs, even the fact that they might not have been cold-blooded and probably more related to birds, as when I was growing up in the 70's, they were considered slow cold-blooded ponderous lizards.

And then our knowledge of dinosaurs kept changing, even leaving the book/movie behind in obsolescence.

I'd have to pass on Independence Day, though Goldblum did have the most interesting character in Juassic Park, aside from the velociraptors.

I try to judge characters on their own terms, but Goldblum does bring neat little quirks to any character he plays (typically), and that was what happened in this movie -- he was easily the most unique and eccentric of the group while still feeling believable.

E

Epiphany

So...two of the writers for Jurassic Park 4 also wrote Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Not too worried there; I thought it was a decent movie. But the director, Colin Trevorrow, has only directed one full-length feature film, along with a documentary, a short film and a tv movie. :huh:

Granted, Safety Not Guaranteed received a 91% fresh rating from Rotten Tomatoes, but should the producers be taking any unnecessary risks after Jurassic Park 3?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So...two of the writers for Jurassic Park 4 also wrote Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Not too worried there; I thought it was a decent movie. But the director, Colin Trevorrow, has only directed one full-length feature film, along with a documentary, a short film and a tv movie. :huh:

Granted, Safety Not Guaranteed received a 91% fresh rating from Rotten Tomatoes, but should the producers be taking any unnecessary risks after Jurassic Park 3?

Then again, Jurassic Park 3 was so badly received that they might as well hand JP4 off to Zack Synder without any sort of supervision and it would still do better.

I was surprised at how good RotPotA was ... I wasn't expecting much, and got easily more than expected. It wasn't high art, but it was enjoyable and solid, for what could have easily been a dud picture.

G

Ginkgo

I could ramble about Jurassic park for hours. I want them to salvage some scenes from Crichton's books instead of vomiting illogical scenarios and meaningless BS about someone's family nobody cares about like from JP3. Relatable characters would be nice too.

E

Epiphany

Then again, Jurassic Park 3 was so badly received that they might as well hand JP4 off to Zack Synder without any sort of supervision and it would still do better.

I was surprised at how good RotPotA was ... I wasn't expecting much, and got easily more than expected. It wasn't high art, but it was enjoyable and solid, for what could have easily been a dud picture.
I liked it much better than Tim Burton's reboot, which felt like it was 13 hrs long. :sleeping: I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I could ramble about Jurassic park for hours. I want them to salvage some scenes from Crichton's books instead of vomiting illogical scenarios and meaningless BS about someone's family nobody cares about like from JP3. Relatable characters would be nice too.

That's what I disliked the most about JP3. The dinosaurs and special effects were cool, aside from the fact that velociraptors no longer pose any serious threat because they delay their attack long enough for the prey to figure out how they're going to evade it; like the gymnastics scene from the Lost World. Wtf? Even Lara Croft requires weapons to kill dinosaurs. That scene was way too cheesy. But the whole premise of the third movie involving a 13 year old kid who survived for months on his own is beyond retarded. And the attempted humor was way overdone. It worked in Jurassic Park largely because Jeff Goldblum is funny and had a good script to work with. The drama between the mother and father in JP3 was more annoying than amusing. And the franchise has become too formulaic. You know exactly who's going to die from the very beginning. All of the main cast members survive; all of the supporting cast dies, especially if they are antagonists.

And for shit's sake, no more children!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked it much better than Tim Burton's reboot, which felt like it was 13 hrs long. :sleeping: I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I never bothered with Burton's reboot. I'm not even sure why I saw Rise, except I think I wanted to go to the movies and there was nothing else out that weekend. I was pleasantly surprised.

I posted on my FaceBook page that they changed the ending of Jurassic Park 3D so that the raptors win, but no one took the bait. Sigh.

I have the JP1-3 series on combined BluRay, but haven't ever dared to watch 3 yet. I fell asleep during 2.

E

Epiphany

I never bothered with Burton's reboot. I'm not even sure why I saw Rise, except I think I wanted to go to the movies and there was nothing else out that weekend. I was pleasantly surprised.

I posted on my FaceBook page that they changed the ending of Jurassic Park 3D so that the raptors win, but no one took the bait. Sigh.

I have the JP1-3 series on combined BluRay, but haven't ever dared to watch 3 yet. I fell asleep during 2.

3 is worth watching at least once, if nothing else because of the action sequences. I did like the overall atmosphere of the movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3 is worth watching at least once, if nothing else because of the action sequences. I did like the overall atmosphere of the movie.

I'm just scared. JP2 bored me so badly. still, I already own it, so I guess it's at worst just a waste of two hours.

(Then again, I think Gene Siskel used to say that was two hours you'll never get back.)

E

Epiphany

I'm just scared. JP2 bored me so badly. still, I already own it, so I guess it's at worst just a waste of two hours.

(Then again, I think Gene Siskel used to say that was two hours you'll never get back.)

And look where he's at now.

Overall, I liked the Lost World more than JP3.