• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roger Ebert reunites with Gene Siskel...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
True, he barely had a mouth (ironic for a movie critic), but that didn't stop him from biting the big one.

Read the full article here.

At least we have comfort in knowing that he died smiling.

He is survived by Richard Roeper.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think he was an INTJ Enneagram 6 because I never liked his movie reviews nor his taste. My guess is INTP.

Siskel was much better IMO.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw him as an Enneagram 7w6 based on his more personal writings. Not sure of MBTI/Keirsey type right now, but I lean toward Idealist or even Artisan.

Siskel was, however, likely a Rational. NTJ.

I have tended to agree with Siskel more, except for his negative review of The Silence of the Lambs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ebert had tweeted in Feb of this year that he was an ENFP.

Thanks for that.

I was always a fan but in the last few days of reading I consciously was scanning him as F, and was curious about what he might have said about himself.

I saw him as an Enneagram 7w6 based on his more personal writings. Not sure of MBTI/Keirsey type right now, but I lean toward Idealist or even Artisan.

Siskel was, however, likely a Rational. NTJ.

I have tended to agree with Siskel more, except for his negative review of The Silence of the Lambs.

I'm not sure on the N, but I definitely scan him as TJ.

I was having a blast running across some of the outtakes from their old show last night, where the two started busting on each other pretty badly (including mocking each other's approach to ordering McDonald's food). It was bad enough to the degree that some people thought they hated each other; however, the indication seems to be they were close friends, albeit at rival papers, to the degree that Siskel's daughters were flower girls at Ebert's wedding in 1992. They made nice foils for each other, not just in personality but in appearance... balancing each other out.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was having a blast running across some of the outtakes from their old show last night, where the two started busting on each other pretty badly (including mocking each other's approach to ordering McDonald's food). It was bad enough to the degree that some people thought they hated each other; however, the indication seems to be they were close friends, albeit at rival papers, to the degree that Siskel's daughters were flower girls at Ebert's wedding in 1992. They made nice foils for each other, not just in personality but in appearance... balancing each other out.

I know which ones you were talking about. They seemed to be enjoying playful banter with each other and people commenting on YouTube seemed to take it at face value, which seems to be the norm there.

I never got the impression they hated each other, but working for different newspapers, they did seem competitive, and no doubt were.

Most people seem to think they argued on the show, but most of the time, they agreed with each other, though they tended to critique different aspects of a movie.

Now I'm interested in Richard Roeper's type. Haven't really payed much attention to him, but he's been the head reviewer on Roger Ebert's SunTimes site for several weeks (which led me to believe that Ebert was on his last leg). And while we're at it, what is Leonard Maltin's type?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know which ones you were talking about. They seemed to be enjoying playful banter with each other and people commenting on YouTube seemed to take it at face value, which seems to be the norm there.

I never got the impression they hated each other, but working for different newspapers, they did seem competitive, and no doubt were.

Yes, competitive... and some of the stuff they said was pretty nasty, honestly, in the public lexicon... if you don't know each other / are strangers. (I think Gene even called him an asshole at the end of one exchange, which Roger was kind of being, TBH.)

But my perception was that they knew each other and so they were just talking smack, mostly, for both of their amusement. I mean, considering there's probably hours and hours, days, weeks, months more of such talk that never got on YouTube? They kept working together and chose to work together, and Gene was laughing at a lot of Ebert's criticism even if Ebert only cracked a smile every so often.

Yeah, they're just screwing around.

Most people seem to think they argued on the show, but most of the time, they agreed with each other, though they tended to critique different aspects of a movie.

I agree too. I watched one or two segments last night for old time's sake and the reality is that even with their different perspectives, they still kind of either agreed overall or could respect the angle being taken. I don't necessarily agree with all of their reviews, but I could count on them at least providing a thoughtful opinion and supporting why they perceived a movie in a particular light.

I mean, they both hated Highlander 2: The Quickening. That's a good start!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And let's not forget their nitpicking of Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, the movie that inspired The Cinema Snob, speaking of which, what's his type?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maltin is definitely not a T user. He often seems to disapprove of movies because of their moral qualities. I'd probably go with Fi over Fe, though I'm not 100% sure with that. He also seems to be sort of comfortable with Si, because he seems like someone who is really into the classics. I can see how this would play into Si. Given the preference for Si over Se, INFP, perhaps? The second most likely is ISFJ. I just get a strong sense of F and Introverted Sensing from him.

F is probably good for a movie critic to have.

I often have a hard time telling whether a movie is "good or bad." Usually, if there's something that seems off about a movie to me, my default response is just that there's something about it I didn't understand! Usually it's only after talking to other people that I can conclude that something was actually kind of shitty.

NT's, on the other hand, do seem to be good at MSTing. Those of us who use Ne, for certain.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I got more traditional moral and feeler vibes off Maltin as well as Joel Siegel as well. (And now I feel stupid -- how did I miss Siegel died? Oh well, I was undergoing massive depression that year, I was in a zoned-out funk.)

I always loved MST, I do it naturally just when I'm watching anything bad. When MST actually came out, it was like part of my soul had been found.

It think it's really important to be fair to a movie and try to grasp what it's trying to be about, so as not to judge it for something it was never meant to be. Still, some movies don't even rise to the bar they set for themselves or are just bad by any standard whatsoever.

I really appreciated the Brown Bunny incident, where Ebert was so frustrated that I've read he began whistling "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" during the actual screening... yet when the director reworked the movie, he rereviewed it and gave it a marginal thumbs up rather than holding a grudge over the things that had been aside or just stubbornly holding to opinion. If fair criticism can help make better films, then that's a positive.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ebert had tweeted in Feb of this year that he was an ENFP.

ETA: Link to Tweet

“A corner is important. It provides privacy and an anchor and lets you exist independently of the room.”

“It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.”

“No matter what they're charging to get in, it's worth more to get out.”

"What kinds of ways do we think about films. If we can create new categories of thought so the category opens up, we have done our job."

Not sure to which extent his mind had deteriorated when he made that tweet, but I question its validity. We all know that animals crawl home to die and I think this could have been the catalyst. The sx/so instinct alone leads introverts to assume extroversion.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always loved MST, I do it naturally just when I'm watching anything bad. When MST actually came out, it was like part of my soul had been found.

Yes, it's basically creating new contexts for movies. A lot of it involves creating alternative possibilities of meaning. NTPs love that kind of thing. (INFP's seem lukewarm on it sometimes, for some reason, but it may be just because they haven't developed their Ne).

I also learned of the existence of the abomination called Tuna Wiggle through MST3K.

It think it's really important to be fair to a movie and try to grasp what it's trying to be about, so as not to judge it for something it was never meant to be. Still, some movies don't even rise to the bar they set for themselves or are just bad by any standard whatsoever.

Yes, there are some types of movies that don't really require, for instance, deep characterization, and that's fine. Actually, too many these days shoot themselves foot for trying to concern themselves with this, and doing it badly.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
“A corner is important. It provides privacy and an anchor and lets you exist independently of the room.”

“It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.”

“No matter what they're charging to get in, it's worth more to get out.”

"What kinds of ways do we think about films. If we can create new categories of thought so the category opens up, we have done our job."

Not sure to which extent his mind had deteriorated when he made that tweet, but I question its validity. We all know that animals crawl home to die and I think this could have been the catalyst. The sx/so instinct alone leads introverts to assume extroversion.

It can be debated, but apparently (from reading the bio stuff) he was far more social than any INFP I've met -- he REALLY liked to engage people, and groups of people, even impromptu. James Berdanelli comes across as a more introverted movie critic, in comparison.

*shrug* Like his type really matters. I know everything I need to know about him from reading his writings and what others said about their experiences with him, there's no need aside from pure speculation to need to know his MBTI type.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
My first reaction when I saw this was "AMAGERD Gene Siskel is a zombie now???"

That's not even a joke, sadly. I didn't think of reuniting in death... :shrug: