• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why does every game want to be like Call of Duty?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Ever shooter now days wants to be like call of duty in it's multilayer and it's so bad. I remember the original Far Cry, Far Cry 2, and Crysis 1 had vehicles and open landscapes to roam in. I loved far Cry 3 single player but it's multiplayer is a call of duty clone with no vehicles and open landscapes. I was disappointed by this in Crysis 2 as well, and after playing the Crysis 3 beta I saw the same Call of Duty clone B.S again. A word of advice to game developers; there is a Call of Duty game that comes out every year, If I wanted to play Call of Duty I would buy Call of Duty. I'm sure most people are sick of this game play style as well.

KDude

It makes tons of cash, just like WoW. Most game publishers (not game developers) are run by idiotic geezers who come from the business and banker world (go ahead, google some big game publisher CEOs. One glance will tell you they don't know shit). They think in terms of bottom line, not ideas and creativity. So they think they need to replicate those type of games. If this or that formula is making oodles of cash, then it might guarantee success for them too. The lucky development studios are the ones who are left alone or self-publish, but that's rarer these days.

netzealot

redundant descriptor
MBTI Type
ISTP
I just got a free copy of MoH: Warfighter and it was exactly like CoD... except not as good.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is something that happens periodically. Few can ever compare to the explosion of Street Fighter 2 clones that came around in the early and mid 90s. Yes, SF2 did basically invent the fighter genre, so all fighters might be said to be a clone to some extent, but I mean innumerable games were totally forgettable carbon copies. And as if fighting games weren't going to face enough over-exposure, the pattern repeated itself with Mortal Kombat.

But you know, there was that period of time were console games just had a ton of repackaged versions of Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot. There was that burst of Diablo clones, etc...

Once a certain game becomes popular for some reason, its financial success motivates other studios to copy it hoping to make similar profit. Often times they are mistaken, for the reasons you already stated. Why play a crappier, less familiar copy of the original success? But game studios, just like music and film studios, never feel safe trying to make money on a new idea.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
This is something that happens periodically. Few can ever compare to the explosion of Street Fighter 2 clones that came around in the early and mid 90s. Yes, SF2 did basically invent the fighter genre, so all fighters might be said to be a clone to some extent, but I mean innumerable games were totally forgettable carbon copies. And as if fighting games weren't going to face enough over-exposure, the pattern repeated itself with Mortal Kombat.

But you know, there was that period of time were console games just had a ton of repackaged versions of Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot. There was that burst of Diablo clones, etc...

Once a certain game becomes popular for some reason, its financial success motivates other studios to copy it hoping to make similar profit. Often times they are mistaken, for the reasons you already stated. Why play a crappier, less familiar copy of the original success? But game studios, just like music and film studios, never feel safe trying to make money on a new idea.

It's pretty damn sad cryengine is 10000000 times better engine than the quake 3 mod call of duty engine. They have so much potential in making a great and original game but they decide to copy call of duty instead. Even Halo copied call of duty in halo 4, did I mention already that there is a call of duty game every year!??? don't game developers get the hint? Counter-strike Go is a fantastic game that is alot like the original counterstrike and nothing like the call of duty formula and it sold quite a bit of copies.