• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Buying My First Drum Set

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As of this fall, I will have graduated from college, and will likely live in an apartment. This means: more space! More independence! And FINALLY, the chance to buy a drum set!

:drummerboy:

(I've played the drums since the seventh grade, but there was never space at home for a full set. My parents wouldn't have let me buy one anyway. So I played percussion in concert band and marching band, all through middle school, high school, and my freshman year of college... but never learned to play set. :( )

This drum set will be my graduation present to myself. :) I will finally teach myself to play -- and/or find an instructor? unless learning through YouTube and lesson books will be enough* -- and, hopefully, I will start a band with my INTJ friend who plays the bass. :yesss:

SO. My question for the forum is:
What kind of drum set should I buy? And what kind of source should I buy it from?

Things to take into consideration:
- Available space (as I will likely be sharing a small apartment)
- Noise level (as I would prefer not to annoy the neighbors when I practice; would this mean buying an electric set? or putting practice pads on it?)
- Price (as I will have student loans to pay off and not a lot of money to spare)

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: If y'all have any preferred drum kit lesson books, or DVD sets, then advice on that would be welcome too :)

*seeing as how I've played percussion for so long, it's not like I'm learning from scratch, so I'm thinking I won't need to pay for lessons

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Budget? (I owe three kits, currently)
As inexpensive as possible, without sacrificing quality too much.

(I haven't honestly looked at average prices, and I don't know how much money I'll be making in the fall, since I don't have a job set up yet.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would buy the most expensive one. Because expensive is better.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Go for a Roland or Yamaha electric kit. You can get a smalll keyboard amp too, or wire it into a stereo. that should do you nicely.
Look on Craig's List. There should be several.