• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars 7

trancemode

Enneagram
5w4
Heard about this recently. I love Star Wars and JJ Abrams. I don’t know what he has in mind yet, but I’d like to see him take on the New Jedi Order series, which is set about 20 years after Return of the Jedi. The galaxy is invaded by warrior aliens from another galaxy who are totally immune to “Jedi mind tricks”. They’re like Attila the Hun and his armies invading Europe, and make you long for the good old days when the Empire was in power. The books in the series are too ponderous—and there are like 20 of them—written more for super duper geeks who are spellbound by all the technical jargon (the same kind of people who learn how to speak Vulcan). I could only stand reading a few of them. But the storyline would great for a film series if they could shorten it, though a TV series would probably be a better format.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That would be pretty dang freaking sick nasty to have the genius behind the Star Trek movie to also direct Star Wars! :happy2:

So trancemode, do you know what ideas he has recently moved into development for the creation of this new film? :thinking:

I hope he diverts the focus less towards action, and more towards the amazing Force in the Star Wars Universe, and the amazing themes it has invoked within this timeless saga! :sage:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's kind of "new" news that abrams is directing at all, since back in November or so he claimed he wasn't interested. Either he was lying, or somehow someone sweetened the deal, or he had time to let it sit and percolate and suddenly started having ideas about what he might do.

Since the announcement just came out, I don't think there is any info yet on what the content of the movie might be.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I think it is supposed to release in 2015-16? For a Star Wars film, they need to basically start design work on it pretty quickly, to get it out by then.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Since the announcement just came out, I don't think there is any info yet on what the content of the movie might be.

Not sure about plot details, but it's definitely Episode VII, it's not some tangential offshoot of the Star Wars universe. Some superfan might be able to dig this up, but I'm not sure if George Lucas ever publicly shared the plot of the third trilogy.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gene Roddenberry died some time ago.
Calling that asshole Abrams "genius" is pushing it.

I'm tempted to agree ... but at the same time, time to embrace the new .. considering there really isn't a choice otherwise.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
can't they stop with star wars and maybe increment on indiana jones...... or back to the future? the star wars saga has already given what it had to give.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm tempted to agree ... but at the same time, time to embrace the new .. considering there really isn't a choice otherwise.

I'm not embracing this. I'm going with another choice:
I'm opting out. I'm going to sit on the sidelines and hope it bombs.

No more CGI-heavy Star Wars. Boo, hoo, hoo.

As pinkgraffiti said: It has been played out for some time.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
can't they stop with star wars and maybe increment on indiana jones...... or back to the future? the star wars saga has already given what it had to give.

Do you really think it's about "giving" anymore? Disney just spent 4 billion bucks on the franchise .. I highly doubt that they're thinking about "giving" in any sense of the imagination. It's all about the money (not saying that it wasn't when Lucas came up with it).

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not embracing this. I'm going with another choice:
I'm opting out. I'm going to sit on the sidelines and hope it bombs.

No more CGI-heavy Star Wars. Boo, hoo, hoo.

As pinkgraffiti said: It has been played out for some time.

I'll still be watching even if it sucks. Why? Well, because sci-fi (even bad sci-fi) is hard to come by these days and I'll take whatever I can get ... even if it turns out to be crap.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I'll still be watching even if it sucks. Why? Well, because sci-fi (even bad sci-fi) is hard to come by these days and I'll take whatever I can get ... even if it turns out to be crap.

A lot of sci-fi is coming out this year, actually. Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Riddick, Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, Oblivion, Elysium, Pacific Rim, Godzilla in 2014 (my fav)...

You can thank Avatar for most of those movies, lol.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP

A lot of sci-fi is coming out this year, actually. Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3, Riddick, Gravity, Mad Max: Fury Road, Oblivion, Elysium, Pacific Rim, Godzilla in 2014 (my fav)...

You can thank Avatar for most of those movies, lol.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah i know. just venting my frustration....
Do you really think it's about "giving" anymore? Disney just spent 4 billion bucks on the franchise .. I highly doubt that they're thinking about "giving" in any sense of the imagination. It's all about the money (not saying that it wasn't when Lucas came up with it).

dieValkyrie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really excited about it. When I was talking to my friend about the new Star Wars movies being announced I said "Man, I just wish they could get JJ Abrams to do them, he did such a stellar job with the Star Trek reboot, too bad he can't do this one :C" but then he was announced as the director and I freaked out lol.

I think he showed marked skill with Star Trek because was able to convey the original essence of the characters but still execute it in a grand and new way.

I think he has respect for the source material and will hopefully put back the fun and whimsy of the original trilogy that the prequels were severely lacking in.

Story-wise, I hope they take things in a completely different direction than the Expanded Universe books. Maybe get some inspirations from it here and there, but a straight up adaption would just be so boring and uninspired, not to mention creatively limiting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What an ass.

A certain "Star Trek" veteran feels that J.J. Abrams has indeed boldly gone where no man has gone before ... and not in a good way.

William Shatner, known worldwide (and perhaps beyond) as the man who played Captain James T. Kirk in the original "Star Trek" series and in seven feature films, was recently asked about how he feels about "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams now also taking the captain's chair on "Star Wars." Shatner is not as enthusiastic as others have been when it comes to Abrams pulling double duty on arguably the two biggest sci-fi franchises of all time.

"He's being a pig," Shatner said during an interview with Movie Fanatic. "He's collecting the two franchises and holding them close to his vest. He's probably the most talented director of that ilk that we have but he's gone too far this time."

By "this time," Shatner is probably referring to his first run-in with Abrams, which involved the possibility of the elder Kirk making some sort of appearance in the 2009 "Star Trek" reboot. That obviously didn't happen, though -- at least according to Abrams -- not for lack of trying.

"We actually had written a scene with him in it that was a flashback kind of thing, but the truth is, it didn't quite feel right," said Abrams in a 2008 interview with AMC. "The bigger thing was that he was very vocal that he didn't want to do a cameo. We tried desperately to put him in the movie, but he was making it very clear that he wanted the movie to focus on him significantly...

"I think of him as a buddy of mine; I've taken him out for sushi," said Shatner in his interview with Movie Fanatic. "I think it's time for J.J. and I to have another sushi and let me put him straight on two of the largest franchises ... and not employing me in either one of them I think is just foolhardy."

1. Kirk is dead, and Shatner's not THAT good of an actor despite being a scifi icon.
2. I don't think it's Abrams who is being a pig.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/william-shatner-says-j-j-abrams-gone-too-181738978.html

rav3n

What an ass.

1. Kirk is dead, and Shatner's not THAT good of an actor despite being a scifi icon.
2. I don't think it's Abrams who is being a pig.

Couldn't agree more on all statements. While I'm a huge ST nerd, Kirk wasn't the one that made the series. If anything, he always annoyed me, such an over-acting, narcissistic buffoon.

Now Abrahms, I can get behind. Can't wait for the new ST and SW movies!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These movies will suck no matter who directs them.

I'm sick of JJ Abrams.

/Grumpy Cat.