• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pokemon X and Y

I

Infinite Bubble

Big announcement from Game Freak about the new games. I did not think Gen VI would be out so soon. Was hoping for Gen III remakes but this is just as exciting.

I'm guessing the names are from the coordinates of a 3D axis (as its the first fully 3D main series game).

Legendaries:

pokemon-x-and-y.jpg

Yveltal (left) and Xerneas (right).

Starters:

pokemonstarter0108-610a.jpg

pokemonstarter0108-610b.jpg

pokemonstarter0108-610c.jpg

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Another 3DS user on the forums? Awesome.

I heard the announcement a little while ago and I'm super excited. Right now Chespin is my desired starter.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a 3DS and don't think I'll get one for this. The 3D environment ruins a bit of the nostalgic charm of playing Pokemon for me.

The X legendary reminds me of the forest spirit from Princess Mononoke.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The last good gen game-wise was III, and the last good one TV-wise was II.

You want to see what Pokemon is really about!?

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I did not think Gen VI would be out so soon. Was hoping for Gen III remakes but this is just as exciting.

I know!! My only hope is that they have the Gen III remakes (if they're ever made?) on the 3DS.

Definitely gonna go for Froakie. I always pick the water starters.

I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=6554]DisneyGeek[/MENTION]

Well I actually haven't got one yet but I'm getting one soon. I held back because the only games I like for it right now are Zelda and Mario.

[MENTION=12042]Owlesque[/MENTION]

They've got to make progress though haven't they? Fully 3D environments are a bit overdue IMO. Still, its a revolution as far as Pokemon is concerned.

[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION]

I actually enjoyed B/W 2 quite a bit, but before that I agree the last good gen was III. For the anime it was III again for me, it all just went down hill at IV.

Team Rocket was my favourite from Pikachu's Jukebox.

[MENTION=14676]Ism[/MENTION]

To be honest I'm doubting it now. If they were doing it they would have probably revealed it instead of X & Y. Disappointing as III is my favourite gen.

As for the starters it will probably be Fennekin for me, but I'll need to see all the evolutions first.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They've got to make progress though haven't they? Fully 3D environments are a bit overdue IMO. Still, its a revolution as far as Pokemon is concerned.

Of course, and I don't fault the developers for that.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Am I the only one that thinks the N64 and Playstation sent console games into a dark age from which many major franchises never recovered? That for some time everything worth playing came out on a PC? Primitive 3D was absolutely hideous looking, the controls were unwieldy, and very few originally 2D games converted smoothly to a 3D environment (though the problems were aided by tons of pointlessly revisions like making Mario take several hits and removing his fire flowers).

For those reasons this is the least thrilling Pokemon I've seen. The fact that it's an RPG at least mitigates a lot of would-be game play changes, but I think it looks kind of shitty. I'd prefer new technology being used to make increasingly high quality, attractive 2D images than low resolution textures on low polygon counts. And whenever people break into 3D, they just have to throw the camera around way too much have excruciatingly long cinematics.

It's kind of funny that Pokemon is moving into that world in the same era that consoles having been doing things like Super Mario Bros Wii and U.

EDIT: I've never seen a Grass type starter pokemon I liked less. And with Vulpix, do we need another fire fox?

I

Infinite Bubble

Am I the only one that thinks the N64 and Playstation sent console games into a dark age from which many major franchises never recovered? That for some time everything worth playing came out on a PC? Primitive 3D was absolutely hideous looking, the controls were unwieldy, and very few originally 2D games converted smoothly to a 3D environment (though the problems were aided by tons of pointlessly revisions like making Mario take several hits and removing his fire flowers).

For those reasons this is the least thrilling Pokemon I've seen. The fact that it's an RPG at least mitigates a lot of would-be game play changes, but I think it looks kind of shitty. I'd prefer new technology being used to make increasingly high quality, attractive 2D images than low resolution textures on low polygon counts. And whenever people break into 3D, they just have to throw the camera around way too much have excruciatingly long cinematics.

It's kind of funny that Pokemon is moving into that world in the same era that consoles having been doing things like Super Mario Bros Wii and U.

EDIT: I've never seen a Grass type starter pokemon I liked less. And with Vulpix, do we need another fire fox?

I don't think it looks that bad. Definitely not of the primitive 3D you are talking about. Pokemon has always been behind in regards to graphics, making use of technology etc, so its nice that they're taking bigger steps forward than before. God I hope they don't mess up the camera angles though. I've played too many such games, where you'd move slightly to the left, and the angle would just swing around so you can't even see where your going.

Agreed on the grass starter. I find Fennekin to be of a better design than Vulpix, but whether it will bring anything to the game such as new typing/ability we can't know yet. Hopefully it won't become the third fire/fighting starter, but thankfully it doesn't look like it will.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think it looks that bad. Definitely not of the primitive 3D you are talking about. Pokemon has always been behind in regards to graphics, making use of technology etc, so its nice that they're taking bigger steps forward than before. God I hope they don't mess up the camera angles though. I've played too many such games, where you'd move slightly to the left, and the angle would just swing around so you can't even see where your going.

Agreed on the grass starter. I find Fennekin to be of a better design than Vulpix, but whether it will bring anything to the game such as new typing/ability we can't know yet. Hopefully it won't become the third fire/fighting starter, but thankfully it doesn't look like it will.

Yeah, though the 3D graphics aren't all-out, I don't believe the game will lose any of its appeal. If I even really cared about the quality of the graphics (which is just fine), I wouldn't have played the Pokemon games in the first place. But I did because the mechanics are fun to explore and I like the concept. As long as that much is retained, which I believe it will be, then it's still the same Pokemon I enjoy.

That being said, I don't play it nearly as much as I used to, though I follow the franchise. I think I'll try and hold out for the inevitable Pokemon Z and get the 3DS after that. Less $$$ spent aw yeah.

I really hope the girl trainer doesn't look too princess-y. Or have ridiculous hair style. Gen V's female trainer was my favorite because she actually looked like a trainer, and was a definite step up from Gen IV and HS/SS's female protagonists. Hopefully they keep it up, but (what I assume is) the heroine in the trailer makes it look like they took a step back.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How much do you want to bet that the usual option to disable battle animations isn't going to be in this game, thus making it like FF7, where often fights are just a matter of enduring the interminable spell sequences?

I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=14676]Ism[/MENTION]

Yeah, thankfully Pokemon isn't really a game you play for its graphics. That said, they have a certain style that you learn to love and sort of get attached to, which makes it strange when they do something like this. The problem with Pokemon is, they got the mechanics right in R/B, leaving little to improve upon apart from small details. I just hope they've found something bigger than details in these games.

I won't be waiting until Z; if it's anything like the past that'll be in another 2 years or so... which is far too long for me to wait. :D

At least it's the first heroine to be blond, which makes a change I guess. Looks better than D/Ps (who IMO looks like she has a bag on her head from the in-game sprites).

[MENTION=1449]Magic Poriferan[/MENTION]

Haha. You might be right, but I still think they'll insert a disable option. They did in Colosseum (if I remember correctly). To be honest though they'll be fun to watch more than anything, plus it'll probably only be as short as before. I'm guessing you disabled it in previous games?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=1449]Magic Poriferan[/MENTION] - Oh come now. You're being so pessimistic. Give it a chance! The graphics obviously aren't as good as some of the games out there on the 3DS, but I for one am glad that they are doing something different for once. After the release of Black and White 2 (really now?), I thought the series was pretty much done for in terms of quality. They were too lazy to even make up new Pokémon for it. For some reason people still liked it and were excited about it, but I don't understand the appeal.

Maybe the new games will be an improvement, and maybe they won't...but the series would just end up like stale bread if they don't start taking some sort of risks.

And don't you dare insult my poor Chespin. D: He's the first grass starter I actually like.

Devil Flamingo

Kultainen Kuningas
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am super-mega-fucking-excited about this. Don't be fooled by my avatar, I love the new gens better than the oldies (fave Pkmn is Roserade).

RE: grafix

I fail to see the problem, quite frankly. No, they are nothing to write home about, but come on, they're just getting started. It's a work in progress; it's not supposed to be amazing fresh off the boat. Future Pkmn games will improve their 3D graphics, I'm sure. It can't be worse than the old graphics of RBY and GSC or even RSE, which I can't handle anymore because I'm too used to the DS graphics by now, lol.

Anyways, my thoughts on the Pogeys...

Chespin: Will be choosing him fo' sho'! Grass types for the win; see avatar. He's adorkable and I hope his final evo is Grass/Dark.

Fennekin: I don't care about foxes, and even if this one ends up being Fire/Psychic (well, his final evo), I'm not here for that. Emboar is the only fire starter that I worship (no, IDC about Blaziken/Infernape, don't choke on your drink).

Froakie: If it ends up having a badass evolution and a cool Water-Fighting typing I might go with it instead of Chespin, but it'd have to be the case that Chespin's final evo is really disappointing. We'll see, I guess. It's nice to finally have a frog that will, in all likelihood, have good stats, unlike the balanced (and mediocre) stats of Politoed, Poliwrath and Seismitoad (IDC about Toxicroak).

Xerneas: Cool, but I don't think it's part Grass, and will probably not use it. I think I like Yveltal better.

Yveltal: 'Tis fucking badass, and I love the letter Y as well as the phonetic sound /y/. I think I'm definitely getting Pokemon Y, hmm!