• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Doctor Who?

• Thread starter Infinite Bubble
  • Start date

Best Doctor?

• William Hartnell

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Patrick Troughton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jon Pertwee

• Tom Baker

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Peter Davison

• Colin Baker

• Sylvester McCoy

• Paul McGann

• Christopher Eccleston

• David Tennant

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Matt Smith

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
I

Infinite Bubble

Opinion on best Doctor? Who do you think portrayed him the best and had your favourite personality?

My vote goes to Tennant.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Meh for Tennant, but I'm not the demographic he appeals to. I hated that whole Rose/Doctor relationship, it really weakened the integrity of the show. And there's just something about Russel T Davie's writing that I almost but didn't quite like. Voted Tom Baker. I like Matt Smith, but stopped watching the show when I no longer had anyone in my life who was a big enough fan to have me pirate the newest episodes from the BBC.

I

Infinite Bubble

I think not having seen them all is why people vote for Tennant.

I used to watch all the old episodes religiously well before the revamped series began. Still prefer Tennant although I really enjoyed the Peter Davison era.

KDude

I like all the new ones equally, but I wish Eccleston lasted longer. He was kind of unique for not being so goofy.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My favorite will always be Doctor #1, Hartnell. That Doctor was an arrogant, condescending prick who thought humans were only slightly evolved apes. Heeee. :heart: Pertwee, Doc #3, is a close second.

R

Riva

My favourite is David Tennant whom I believe is an ENFP version of the Doctor (hands down on being ENFP).

Note - I haven't seen all the Doctors.

It is a known thing that the most popular Doctor is Tom Baker whom again I believe is an ENFP version.

The Doctor is a quintessential NT character (to be more specific an ENTP) but I am seeing a pattern here when it comes to popularity of the Doctor among all fans (including the votes in this poll). It is that ENFP version of the Doctors are the most popular.

What could be the reason I wonder?

Probably the ENFP version of Doctors add a broken image to the Doctor that people would like to sympathize with. This was especially clear with David Tennant and somewhat with Baker (though I haven't seen all his episodes). Infact Baker has a personally attached ANGRY vibe to the characters and the cause. (Tennant also shared the angry vibe image).

Yes of course all Doctors are attached to their companions and their cause but the ENTP version (as the NTs they are) always have a bit of a detached vibe no matter how engaging they get - this of course goes to show that the actors were great.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think not having seen them all is why people vote for Tennant.
I have seen Tom Baker, though, and I prefer Tennant. He's cute and funny and to my thinking he's the most compassionate Doctor. I know some people feel that means losing his edge, but to me the character makes sense, and is a pleasant character to watch.

Meh for Tennant, but I'm not the demographic he appeals to. I hated that whole Rose/Doctor relationship, it really weakened the integrity of the show.
I don't know about "weakened the integrity of the show", but I agree that the love story element was a little off-putting. A degree of romantic tension is fine, but it went a touch too far IMO. Keep in mind, though, that Tennant had three seasons, only one with Rose as companion.

My favourite is David Tennant whom I believe is an ENFP version of the Doctor (hands down on being ENFP).
ENFP? Why do you think so? I have trouble seeing him as Fi-aux.

Lark

I have seen Tom Baker, though, and I prefer Tennant. He's cute and funny and to my thinking he's the most compassionate Doctor. I know some people feel that means losing his edge, but to me the character makes sense, and is a pleasant character to watch.

I don't know about "weakened the integrity of the show", but I agree that the love story element was a little off-putting. A degree of romantic tension is fine, but it went a touch too far IMO. Keep in mind, though, that Tennant had three seasons, only one with Rose as companion.

Tennant's character is so bad in contrast to the other Drs, not just the early Drs like Baker either.

Although I think the show has suffered as time has gone on, there's been a number of general cultural shifts which have effected it too. The Dr of John Pertwee and Tom Baker used to ride around in a vintage car which drove out of the Tardis and had a lazer cannon mounted on it, he had a collapsable machine gun beneath his cape, he had side kicks who used to expertly throw knives into the necks of enemies killing them outright, he really had infinite space within the Tardis, including man eating plants and mazes and other perils with which to lure in and kill enemies and when he visited Galifray (spelling), his home world, it might've looked very buck rogers or flash gordon but that place was mean and people died, usually lots of them, heaped into a pile which he'd literally stand on and give a speech while dishing out the jelly babies.

Also, the effects were rubbish in the earlier shows, particularly some of more laughable cardboard box robots but the suspense was great and it was some pretty scary stuff each week, strange perverse space weirds were a fixture during the late eighties before the last two major old Drs.

The modern Drs by contrast are eejits, fathing oxbridge types who wave around sonic screwdrivers like they are harry potter, exhibit ambivalent sexuality and attraction to travelling companions, so much stuff that makes me look at the screen and say "No! Just No!".

And also whoever started the idea that if the Tardis is on its side then internally its world is on its side and he'd have to scale his way out with a hook and line, that shit was just stupid, that shouldnt ever have happened.

KDude

I can't get into the older shows (and it isn't because I'm too young.. I'm at the age to remember Baker on television). It's a matter of production.. the show looked like shit. My older brother was really into it at the time, but I had to leave the room if he started watching.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My childhood favorite was Tom Baker and I still love him, though I don't watch the old episodes much anymore.

As for the new doctors, I really liked Eccleston when the show came back, even though it wasn't written as well as it was previously or has been for Tennant and Smith. He was an interesting, complex doctor and I wished he had more time.

I didn't care for Tennant at first and stopped watching- but later I decided to give him a second chance and ended up warming to him considerably.

I did immediately love Matt Smith and still do. I got pretty sick of Amy over the seasons but became more and more attached to Rory. He has been my favorite companion so far of the new series (I liked Leela in the old series).

R

Riva

A Few points -

Proving the 10th Doctor is not an ENTP but an ENFP is a hard thing to do. Wish it was that easy. Maybe why I see him as an ENFP is because David Tennant is one?

Good way to type him will be to distinguish between the 10th (ENFP) and the 11th (ENTP) Doctors.

Tertiary functions -

The 10th when annoyed or angered gets strict with things (Te?) which is a ENFPs tertiary function. Whereas the 11th (who is an ENTP) would have short term Fe bursts. ENFP when feeling that someone is being unjust becomes strict and bureaucratic (Which was evident in the 10th Doctor than in most others.)

Whereas ENTPs usually wouldn't get bureaucratic. ENTPs are inclined to tease and annoy the person who is being unjust probably/possibly because Ti wouldn't want to take things personally. Also if I recall correctly the 11th annoys his opponents quite often.

Also distinguishing how they interact with others -

The 10th tries to emotionally bond with others (Fi), whereas the 11th tries to bring people together (Fe). Both are people persons. But the 11th has something in him that suggests enjoying interacting with people more than bonding. Whereas the 10th has something which screams bonding (Fi) with others than loving the mere interaction.

I have a feeling the difference you see is the ENTP ENFP difference though it's best not to use this as leverage.

Last edited:
I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] I mostly agree with what you are saying about the 10th Doctor. He definitely gives an impression of being F more than the others, especially with direct comparison. One thing I should add though is in the episode where a creature possessing a women and it repeats the others words (forgot the name), at the beginning he seems to be using Fe to connect with the others on the train and get them talking with one another.

R

Riva

[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] I mostly agree with what you are saying about the 10th Doctor. He definitely gives an impression of being F more than the others, especially with direct comparison. One thing I should add though is in the episode where a creature possessing a women and it repeats the others words (forgot the name), at the beginning he seems to be using Fe to connect with the others on the train and get them talking with one another.

Ah someone sees my point.

I remember the episode you mentioned. 'It' (the moment where he tried to get everyone to talk) screamed ENTP to me too but there are a few things to be considered -

Irrespective of what our types (our natural preferences) are we all have all the functions (Fe Fi etc),therefore it shouldn't be a surprise if we show traits which are not 'usual' to us.

and if you/someone disagrees with the above point

He is acting according to a script; therefore would indicate traits which are uncharacteristic to the person he is playing from time to time.

S

Society

out of the last 3:
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
Matt Smith

i'd pick david tennant as the best actor. however, i will say that steven moffat (11th doctor's script writer) has being my favorite by far, even if his latest seasons doesn't do as well as the early few episodes he introduced as a guest writer, he is still doing a terrific job relatively to the others i've seen.

edit: i should say i only started watching the classic series recently, and have yet to form an opinion about the work of either ones prior to the latest versions.

I

Infinite Bubble

[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] In that case I think you're right. ENFP it is for Tennant.

[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] As the main writer, I haven't really enjoyed his episodes as much as Russel T. Davies'. Interestingly though I thought the episodes Moffat wrote as guest writer (in particular Blink and The Empty Child) were the best from the respective series.