• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which POW movie is better?

Which movie is better?

• The Bridge on the River Kwai

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • The Great Escape

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Steve McQueen pushes The Great Escape over the top.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've never seen either one

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Much as I like Sir Alec, The Great Escape has much more going for it than just Steve McQueen, like better theme music and cool low-tech ingenuity. It's like Mission: Impossible on a budget.

On the other hand, I do get a lot of use out of the line "Be happy in your work!"

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I'll agree with the Great Escape, but not just b/c of Steve McQueen. The whole cast is great--I love Donald Pleasence, James Coburn, and James Garner.

The book is also excellent. POW stories, especially of WWII, are an interest of mine.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
The stories behind the making of Escape are amazing too....

Hadn't one of the cast members been a POW? Anyone recall?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Only one of them has a theme which is a sporting anthem for England. So it has to be that one.

It runs through my veins.

-Geoff

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The stories behind the making of Escape are amazing too....

Hadn't one of the cast members been a POW? Anyone recall?

From imdb.com:

Several cast members were actual P.O.W.s during World War II. 'Pleasence, Donald' was held in a German camp, 'Messemer, Hannes' in a Russian camp and 'Kiwe, Til' and 'Reiser, Hans' were prisoners of the Americans.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
The conditions were lousy the first time I saw Bridge so I was greatly bored with the event. I was also pretty young. I really didn't know what it was about but I expected more action. (From what I can remember of my thinking of the time)

I did quite enjoy The Great Escape, though. Can't say I'm a huge Steve McQ fan. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his work - Papillon - very good but I couldn't consider myself a fan by comparison to others I know.