• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DJANGO UNCHAINED

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spike Lee says he won't see this film because of the racial content. comments?

He doesn't have a sense of humor or ability to let go of something that happened years ago. Sure it's painful, but it's a touchy subject for all humans, not just black people.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Add to the fact that it is a Tarantino dark comedy.
His movies NEVER take themselves seriously enough to be taken seriously.

C'mon. I mean. C'mon.

Did World War II historians complain about the historical inaccuracies of Inglourious Basterds?

If they did, they can sit on some eggs as well.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tarantino is figuratively dark, and he GETS people, which Spike um...isn't too good at. In my opinion, great movie makers can see the many facets of many cultures, various time periods, etc blah blah blah. I wanna see it as I need some dark, unsettling media right now, and of course Quentin is great.... gets the juices flowing.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tarantino is figuratively dark, and he GETS people, which Spike um...isn't too good at. In my opinion, great movie makers can see the many facets of many cultures, various time periods, etc blah blah blah. I wanna see it as I need some dark, unsettling media right now, and of course Quentin is great.... gets the juices flowing.
Yes. One example...in a scene Tarantino has the white man dressed in a fur coat and short-brimmed sort of a bowler hat, like a pimp (which I took it as symbolizing the character is pimping bounty hunting) and the black man wears traditional western cowboy garb.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just saw this film, and although it was deeply disturbing, it brought to light the injustice ever present in our world.

Black people are also 'people', just like any person of another race is.

The pain we inflict upon one another is what metaphorical monkeys do.

We must not put one another in bondage, but rather we must work together to improve the human condition.

By eliminating the unnecessary evils seen in this movie, we can take many more steps forward in the quest for peace and perfection.

G

Ginkgo

Loved it. Despite it running for 3 hours, I can't think of any scene that should have been cut out in retrospect.

Though Tarantino typically jars you with ultra-contemporary themes, (with this movie as well), the plot was ultimately just as classic as the German fairy tale mentioned halfway through the movie.

Cool stuff.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was uncomfortable to watch, but I liked it.

wolfy

awsm
It was a great movie, I really enjoyed it. One of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

G

Ginkgo

The Jonah Hill scene should never have been filmed.

idk. It seems like even the slavers were depicted as only human, and showing them as incompetent derps opened them up to that sort of judgment.

Unless you're specifically talking about Jonah Hill. In which case, yeah.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Good, but not a movie I'd rewatch. Based on the hype, I was expecting more.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Django: ISTP 8w7>6w5>3w4 Sx/Sp
Dr. Schultz: ENTP 7w6>3w2>8w9 Sp/So
Brunhilde: ISFP 9w8>6w7>2w3 Sx/Sp
Calvin: ESTP 7w?>3w2>8w7 So/Sx
Steven: ESTJ 6w5>8w7>2w3 So/Sp

Elf typed the characters in the Django Unchained thread.

Haha Django ISTP 8w7!?

Well, he was a survivor, had lightning-fast instincts, and deadly precision in the hunt; slaughtering all resistence like animals!

He was very independent and good at finding efficient solutions to problems as well, so the combined skill and forcefullness seem to be very much in line with ISTP 8w7.

Django was a true rebel gangster!

Justice was done by his hand to all those white devils and their sadistic torture schemes!

trancemode

Enneagram
5w4
Spike Lee says he won't see this film because of the racial content. comments?

Yeah, like “African American” should've been used instead of the n-word in all the dialogue. People who express this view about Tarantino and/or Django are somewhat on the other side of the same coin as white racists and/or those who deny the dark side of America’s past. And it’s ironic that some critics who panned this movie as exploitation likely consider Gone with the Wind, which idealized slavery and the old South, a great classic film. Tarantino said he wanted to do a movie that dealt with American’s horrible past without making it a “big issue” movie. It’s deliberately hyperbolic and draws from pulp fiction dime novels of that era to great effect. Just about all of Tarantino’s films could be titled “Pulp Fiction”. He’s turned it into a cinematic art form. Not that he was the first ever to do so, but he’s done it as distinctly and brilliantly as his idol Sergio Leone did.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good, but not a movie I'd rewatch. Based on the hype, I was expecting more.

Same response here. All of Tarantino's movies are typically above average, but this is probably at the lower end of Tarantino's movies. Mostly that comes from things like (1) breaking the climax into two pieces, (2) cutting a lot of the character-oriented dialogue so that few characters seem like real people, (3) weird or redundant twists that seem unnecessary, like what happens when they sign the receipt for Broomhilda, and (4) weird production-oriented stuff, like the time someone gets shot and goes flying in the wrong direction, jarring you out of the movie.

But damn, Jamie Foxx looked cool and was pretty bad-ass when duded up as a black slaver.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same response here. All of Tarantino's movies are typically above average, but this is probably at the lower end of Tarantino's movies.
Yep.

Mostly that comes from things like (1) breaking the climax into two pieces,
What do you mean?

(2) cutting a lot of the character-oriented dialogue so that few characters seem like real people,
I hate when the movies are overly focused on the background events - it gets predictable quickly.

(3) weird or redundant twists that seem unnecessary, like what happens when they sign the receipt for Broomhilda, and
Oh, that scene was unbelievable. The guy who seemed fairly reasonable basically got himself killed because he didn't want to handshake a person he hated.

I also found the Broomhilda legend to be extremely cheesy. "Oh, in the legend Broomhilda got rescued by Siegfried, so you are supposed to be her Siegfried, now everything makes sense!"

(4) weird production-oriented stuff, like the time someone gets shot and goes flying in the wrong direction, jarring you out of the movie.
Yeah, that was a pretty commercial move.

But damn, Jamie Foxx looked cool and was pretty bad-ass when duded up as a black slaver.
Indeed! :happy2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean?

Climcatic gunfight, half the baddies are killed. Plot is not resolved.
Hero is sent away. Hero escapes.
Hero comes back and kills everyone else.
Supposed to be a climax, but it was just mop-up.

Since the plot had diminishing tension, it needed to be a climax in some other way... but it wasn't.

(Compare to Pulp Fiction... one of the lead characters is actually killed in the middle of the movie, but the scenes are arranged dramatically in terms of character arc, so tension continues.)

Django is pretty straightforward, with an occasional flashback.

I hate when the movies are overly focused on the background events - it gets predictable quickly.

Tarantino won an oscar for his screenplay, but I don't think it's the screenplay that was in the movie; he gutted his screenplay, which is scary since the movie ran about 2:45. Many scenes between characters (especially Stephen and Django) were excised.

Oh, that scene was unbelievable. The guy who seemed fairly reasonable basically got himself killed because he didn't want to handshake a person he hated.

Yeah... and in a way that we already saw earlier in the movie.

I also found the Broomhilda legend to be extremely cheesy. "Oh, in the legend Broomhilda got rescued by Siegfried, so you are supposed to be her Siegfried, now everything makes sense!"

Yup. I'm hoping the screenplay did more with that. In the movie, it was kind of thin.

Yeah, that was a pretty commercial move.

Another blunder: The cutscene with the KKK riders cutting eyeholes in their sacks -- it's edited poorly and I saw at least one published review thinking it was part of the main time flow and not understanding it... and I remember needing about ten seconds to decide it was a flashback.

Just not up to Tarantino's standards. I don't remember Kill Bill having any major editing gaffs like that, despite all the flashbacks and time/scene cuts.