• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why aren't there first person shooters better than Doom these days

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've watched this and it can't be unseen:

I've spent at least 400 euros (or what, 600? 800? It's been 20 years now) on games after the Doom I-II series and I can agree on the problems of almost all of them:
-cutscenes that interrupt the action
-unnecessary storytelling
-idiotic scares, like monster in the closet
-more idiotic scares, like screen filling with blood when you're attacked
-stupid, unnecessary background stories and more cutscenes

So what's wrong with all of them, specifically?
-Mass effect series is really awesome as a game & interactive movie & story thing, but instant recovery of health and instant invulnerability when covered are really lame if you'd rather want a shooter
-crysis. Suit modes. Unneeded gimmickry.
-max payne. Awesome story, good mood, but .. what you gonna shoot from 3rd perspective? Scripted events? No, it's not a good shooter.
-Far cry. This almost doesn't suck. I don't know what's specifically bad with it. It's borderline good. Damned it!
-Call of Duty (various): Linear storyline, scripted events.. so unsatisfying, if you want more than yet another interactive storytelling. Dang, it has good graphics, though.
-Doom III. No duct tape on mars. Cheap-ass scares, aka. monsters jump from the closet & low lightning. That doesn't make a good shooter.
-Battlefield 3 campaign/solo player mode. Heavy scripts, linear storytelling, buggy PC version, "return to combat area".

But.. there has been good shooters too.
-Doom I, II. Demons, little to no scripts, just tons of enemies, with occasional quiet moments. Nothing to interrupt from the Game.
-Unreal. No interrupts either, just enemies. Ok. A little bit of scripted events, usually involving a little waiting.
-Some of the old Star Wars themed shooters based on a modified duke nukem engine. More uninterrupted action, little scripted events, music follows the game.
-Duke Nukem.

Many of the shooters which failed (imho) in single player game do nicely in multiplayer.
-Counter Strike
-Far cry
etc.

So, I guess I like single player campaigns to look more like multiplayer games rather than the interactive movies they often are.
/rant