• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff's pictures, in Hot Water

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
So, I'll be hoping to take some good photos over the next week or so, while I am away.

In the meantime here's a few old ones I haven't posted here before...for your delight or disgust... your choice!

The old favourite of mine, Yellowstone. Yes, one or two of them were on a Yellowstone thread at INTPC - apologies to any who have seen them before, but it is a new audience here /photowhore.

As always, comments and criticisms encouraged.

-Geoff

362796092_de6b215ea5_b.jpg

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The next three are all bacterial mats at Grand Prismatic Spring, in Yellowstone. It is an unearthly place.

362795130_2398a1a742_b.jpg

362793821_a4ce030526_b.jpg

362943420_925e2e46d2_b.jpg

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Comments re: picture 1

I LOVE that picture. The color contrasts are so vivid. Also the blue and orange-brown are basically complimentary colors which adds to the intensity. The soft whiteness of the clouds contrasts sharply with the black jagged lines of the tree. It is a powerful expression of opposites. To me there is also an expressive contrast of hope and desolation. Very powerful image.

You are an awesome photographer. I don't always comment, but will mention now that your pictures are always really inspiring and appreciated.

Yellowstone is close to where I spent a good chunk of my childhood. I lived straight south of there. :)

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
When did you go to Sulphurstone (Yellowstone)?

I love Yellowstone. I should dig up my old digitals of the place and scan my film ones. The place is so photogenic that you practically just need to point and shoot.

Yellowstone is close to where I spent a good chunk of my childhood. I lived straight south of there. :)
Jackson? One of the smaller towns? Please don't say somewhere in eastern Utah.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
When did you go to Sulphurstone (Yellowstone)?

I love Yellowstone. I should dig up my old digitals of the place and scan my film ones. The place is so photogenic that you practically just need to point and shoot.

Err. thanks! That's exactly what I did, just point and shoot :shock: It was late 2004 I think.

Comments re: picture 1

I LOVE that picture. The color contrasts are so vivid. Also the blue and orange-brown are basically complimentary colors which adds to the intensity. The soft whiteness of the clouds contrasts sharply with the black jagged lines of the tree. It is a powerful expression of opposites. To me there is also an expressive contrast of hope and desolation. Very powerful image.

You are an awesome photographer. I don't always comment, but will mention now that your pictures are always really inspiring and appreciated.

How about here? This is due south, I love Grand Teton! I think I took this one at Oxbow bend? I'd settle for growing up in a quiet cabin close to this spot (where I also saw a moose, too :party2: )

264258365_56ec1d2397_b.jpg

-Geoff

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about here? This is due south, I love Grand Teton! I think I took this one at Oxbow bend? I'd settle for growing up in a quiet cabin close to this spot (where I also saw a moose, too )

(Jaw hits floor)

That can't be real.

It's positively gorgeous. More than I could have ever imagined.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jackson? One of the smaller towns? Please don't say somewhere in eastern Utah.
I lived in a small Utah town for a few months until we could rent a place in Evanston. Wyoming is awesome except for the people. Sorry, had to be said.

How about here? This is due south, I love Grand Teton! I think I took this one at Oxbow bend? I'd settle for growing up in a quiet cabin close to this spot (where I also saw a moose, too :party2: )
Gorgeous! I have seen those irl. :yes: My sister describes the Tetons as a pack of wolves guarding the horizon.

Sometimes a Moose would wander into town. Over the years I lived there, perhaps half a dozen did.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I lived in a small Utah town for a few months until we could rent a place in Evanston. Wyoming is awesome except for the people. Sorry, had to be said.
Utah has worse people... Evanston is hardly Wyoming, it's merely a crossroad of the inter-mountain west. You get freaky weird people there all the time, whereas in the small towns the people are great. Cheyenne is also a cesspool, as are all the boom towns (e.x. Rock Springs) and the major highway crossroad point towns (which scrape some people off while they go through, and usually not the good ones).

Sometimes a Moose would wander into town. Over the years I lived there, perhaps half a dozen did.
They don't usually live that far south. Aside from a herd of them in one of the canyons in the mountains above SLC, Yellowstone is generally the southernmost point you can see a moose.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They don't usually live that far south. Aside from a herd of them in one of the canyons in the mountains above SLC, Yellowstone is generally the southernmost point you can see a moose.
But I DID! I DID! See a moose!!

Don't know what to tell ya because they were there. There was a small forest by the school where my mother taught and a cow with her baby lived there for a while. I also saw a large male moose in someone's yard when I was a kid there. There were a couple of other instances. That was back in the 1980's if that makes a difference.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm sure you did. In the 80s they sometimes wandered into SLC, even, and would get themselves into parking garages and sometimes malls (automatic doors). They don't usually come as far south anymore, and they certainly don't there, because they don't tend to live so far south.

Don't know what to tell ya because they were there. There was a small forest by the school where my mother taught and a cow with her baby lived there for a while. I also saw a large male moose in someone's yard when I was a kid there. There were a couple of other instances. That was back in the 1980's if that makes a difference.
I wouldn't be surprised if some lived along the river there in Evanston...before they cut down most of the trees.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

I'm sure you did. In the 80s they sometimes wandered into SLC, even, and would get themselves into parking garages and sometimes malls (automatic doors). They don't usually come as far south anymore, and they certainly don't there, because they don't tend to live so far south.

I wouldn't be surprised if some lived along the river there in Evanston...before they cut down most of the trees.

Funny you should say about mooses...

There was one at Oxbow Bend too! So I took this at the same spot, looking up the river. Yes, I know he wasnt very close, but still.. I was awestruck to see one in his natural environment.

264258367_cec9be05f2_b.jpg

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm impressed. You truly are talented. You could make a living out of those. My favorite is number 4. Please post more.

MBTI Type
ENTP

great pictures, going to Yellowstone/Grand Teton is one of my favorite vacation memories.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm impressed. You truly are talented. You could make a living out of those. My favorite is number 4. Please post more.

Thanks! That's high praise indeed. Don't think I want a living selling photos, I'd rather it remains a hobby.

great pictures, going to Yellowstone/Grand Teton is one of my favorite vacation memories.

Wait? You were there too? I am sure I'd remember...

Awesome pics!

Thanks!

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Funny you should say about mooses...

There was one at Oxbow Bend too! So I took this at the same spot, looking up the river. Yes, I know he wasnt very close, but still.. I was awestruck to see one in his natural environment.
Funny you should mention that, too, because Oxbow Bend is one of the places where I always find them...to the point that I know exactly where it is. I took a number of pictures of them there, and I've wandered on the land enclosed by the bend many times in search of moose.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Funny you should mention that, too, because Oxbow Bend is one of the places where I always find them...to the point that I know exactly where it is. I took a number of pictures of them there, and I've wandered on the land enclosed by the bend many times in search of moose.

I'm wondering how lucky I was, as I had just two hours in the area?

-Geoff