• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Some People Only See Two Dogs

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Do I need 3-d glasses, or...?

Nope just practice and patience.

Edit: basically your eyes each see a slightly different image and your brain mashes it together into one image. The goal here is to get your eyes to decouple the respective image of each eye and rather than combine them, they overlap instead and make a 3D illusion.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

577592-the-right-brain-vs-left-brain-test.gif

First make the dancer spin clockwise then look again. Alternatively, try unfocusing your eyes a bit and look at all joints simulaneously

I'm confused. I can't look at them all simultaneously.

Ooh, I see it! I saw it in like 3 seconds. Ni :)

Yeah, I'm not seeing Darth Vader.

How about this one?

iWeej.jpg

That's scary!

this reminds me of those stereogram pictures from the 90s:

Pink_Music_Stereogram_by_3Dimka.jpg
I always see these things inside out, so sometimes even though I can see it I can't tell what I'm looking at. Darn Ni.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I always see these things inside out, so sometimes even though I can see it I can't tell what I'm looking at. Darn Ni.

I am never able to see them no matter how hard I try (although I can see other 3D things perfectly fine). D: Can you explain it to me in a way that you haven't heard before?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Damn, I never realised before seeing those puppies how much DV's helmet looks like the head of a penis. CANNOT UNSEE.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I am never able to see them no matter how hard I try (although I can see other 3D things perfectly fine). D: Can you explain it to me in a way that you haven't heard before?

There are all sorts of ways to explain it. I can't remember which one was the most helpful to me. Try to look beyond/through the picture, like you're focusing 4m or so beyond the monitor. That will make the picture a bit blurry but don't worry about that yet. Now look for points of depth in the picture first. Once you find a point of depth concentrate on bringing that into focus. If you can do that then the foreground images will start to jump out at you. After that it's just a matter of fine-tuning.

/DG/

There are all sorts of ways to explain it. I can't remember which one was the most helpful to me. Try to look beyond/through the picture, like you're focusing 4m or so beyond the monitor. That will make the picture a bit blurry but don't worry about that yet. Now look for points of depth in the picture first. Once you find a point of depth concentrate on bringing that into focus. If you can do that then the foreground images will start to jump out at you. After that it's just a matter of fine-tuning.

This is the explanation I hear most often. I can't do this no matter how hard I try. :/

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

There was a site with practice dots to help you learn how to do it but I haven't been able to find it again.

One way to practice it though and actually see your progress is to make two dots just a bit apart on paper (like maybe 1 or 2 inches apart) and try to unfocus your eyes while looking at them. You'll see phantom dots appear and kind of float towards the center point between them - the goal of the practice is to overlap the phantom dots so that there appears to be three dots, the two you made and one false dot in between them.

When you do it this way you can see your progress (or lack of) as the dots slowly move closer to the middle or further away depending on how close you are to doing it right.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Just to give you an idea, the backdrop of the picture looks to be about a meter beyond the screen.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the explanation I hear most often. I can't do this no matter how hard I try. :/

I just open my eyes wide (not necessarily 100% open, but wider than normal) and stare at the picture, without blinking. Forcing myself to not blink seems to be the key, at least for me.

After about 10 seconds or so, the picture gets weird. Kind of a mixture where most of it is blurry, but some lines are clear and sharper. At that point, I sort of look around trying to outline the lines that pop out in a 3-D sort of way. Usually once I figure out the main picture, the rest of it is easy to see.

Usually adjusting my distance from the picture (while not blinking) helps as well. On my computer monitor, 2-3 feet away works for me. That may vary for you, though.

Here's one more clue that might help you: The primary pic is the Pink Panther, and he's in the middle. There are other things as well, but I won't spoil it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Probably not. The crossing your eyes part is right, but what you're doing is trying with your eyes to get the whole picture and mix its parts around like you're shuffling cards on a table. Then move back to see the big picture. Don't even really look at the picture, because you're looking inside of it not at it. That's the best advice I can give.

/DG/

There was a site with practice dots to help you learn how to do it but I haven't been able to find it again.

One way to practice it though and actually see your progress is to make two dots just a bit apart on paper (like maybe 1 or 2 inches apart) and try to unfocus your eyes while looking at them. You'll see phantom dots appear and kind of float towards the center point between them - the goal of the practice is to overlap the phantom dots so that there appears to be three dots, the two you made and one false dot in between them.

When you do it this way you can see your progress (or lack of) as the dots slowly move closer to the middle or further away depending on how close you are to doing it right.
Are you talking about this image?
saturn.jpg

I actual have no problem seeing the supposed image here, unless I am seeing it inverted. (However, it's supposed to be Saturn and it just looks like a big circle with some lumps around it.) Is Saturn supposed to be to popping out or should it make a sort of depression?

It seems as though I wouldn't have so much trouble seeing magic eye pictures if someone would place these squares above all of them. I can't just place two squares wherever I choose because then they wouldn't line up properly.

I just open my eyes wide (not necessarily 100% open, but wider than normal) and stare at the picture, without blinking. Forcing myself to not blink seems to be the key, at least for me.

After about 10 seconds or so, the picture gets weird. Kind of a mixture where most of it is blurry, but some lines are clear and sharper. At that point, I sort of look around trying to outline the lines that pop out in a 3-D sort of way. Usually once I figure out the main picture, the rest of it is easy to see.

Usually adjusting my distance from the picture (while not blinking) helps as well. On my computer monitor, 2-3 feet away works for me. That may vary for you, though.

Here's one more clue that might help you: The primary pic is the Pink Panther, and he's in the middle. There are other things as well, but I won't spoil it.
I know you're trying to help, but the thought of you staring bug-eyed, without blinking at your screen for a minute cracks me up.

Probably not. The crossing your eyes part is right, but what you're doing is trying with your eyes to get the whole picture and mix its parts around like you're shuffling cards on a table. Then move back to see the big picture. Don't even really look at the picture, because you're looking inside of it not at it. That's the best advice I can give.
Yeah, it's actually very similar to viewing cross eye photos, which I am able to see. I prefer them to the red-blue 3D images.

Here's a snowy one.
gqyLMl.png

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Are you talking about this image?
saturn.jpg

I actual have no problem seeing the supposed image here, unless I am seeing it inverted. (However, it's supposed to be Saturn and it just looks like a big circle with some lumps around it.) Is Saturn supposed to be to popping out or should it make a sort of depression?

Yeah. On that one it pops out with a 3D ring like in a normal picture of Saturn (except its as if you were looking at the ring in 3D from edge on rather than a flat photo)

It pops out pretty well but not as much as some of the more impressive ones.

Edit:
Also some times it helps to get really close just to find the right focus and then when you find the image, move slowly back while keeping it in focus to increase the sharpness of it.

/DG/

Yeah. On that one it pops out with a 3D ring like in a normal picture of Saturn (except its as if you were looking at the ring in 3D from edge on rather than a flat photo)

It pops out pretty well but not as much as some of the more impressive ones.

Edit:
Also some times it helps to get really close just to find the right focus and then when you find the image, move slowly back while keeping it in focus to increase the sharpness of it.

So I am seeing it inverted then. It's strange because it's very clear. :shrug:

/DG/

I'll bet this whole Magic Eye thing is just a huge conspiracy.

:peepwall:

:wizfreak:

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, it's actually very similar to viewing cross eye photos, which I am able to see. I prefer them to the red-blue 3D images.

Maybe that's your problem. By trying to look into the magic-eye pictures you're actually doing the opposite of looking cross-eyed at them. Looking cross-eyed at something brings your point of focus in more than it should be, rather than further out (as these require).

/DG/

Maybe that's your problem. By trying to look into the magic-eye pictures you're actually doing the opposite of looking cross-eyed at them. Looking cross-eyed at something brings your point of focus in more than it should be, rather than further out (as these require).

Oh really? I didn't realize it would have a different effect. After a quick Google search, apparently the Magic Eye picture viewing method is referred to as the parallel method.

I guess it's this parallel technique that I suck at.