• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gamers: What video games do you consider practically unbeatable?

G

Ginkgo

Incoming for the Dreamcast.

It literally has no ending. Or beginning, for that matter. It's in a loop, haha.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh:
OTOH, I got stuck at the 2nd cd of FF9, back in the days. FF7 and FF8 are among my all-time favorites, but I din't like FF9 enough to bother finding what I had to do... I also found the card game much worse than FF8's triple triad.
FF8 was okay, but the characters weren't my favorite. When someone is as angsty as Squall, I figure that they'll have some legitimate childhood trauma to back it up. But when you find out what actually happened to him... definitely not horrible enough to warrant him being such an asshole.

Also, I didn't really like the world, all that much. I think I must have seen it as too similar to our own; part of what compelled me about FF9 was that it really seemed like a magical fantasy realm, in the European-style storybook sense -- but at the same time, it's all about conquest and realpolitik, which the wonk in me gets a real kick out of.

As for the card game... I don't think I like any of the FF minigames. Chocobo racing was annoying, all the card games were annoying, blitzball was annoying.
:D FFT was really hard.
:yesss: Validation!
And all FPS.. mostly because I really, really suck at FPS games. The controls and the first-person view just really mess with me for some reason.
Oh god, me too. I don't even try anymore. :laugh:
Ah! Almost forgot. Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The temples... Dear god, the temples... :cry:
That was another one I could never finish! Donkey Kong Country for Game Boy Color.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FF8 was okay, but the characters weren't my favorite. When someone is as angsty as Squall, I figure that they'll have some legitimate childhood trauma to back it up. But when you find out what actually happened to him... definitely not horrible enough to warrant him being such an asshole.
Interesting perspective! I tend to like flawed characters... and I used to relate a lot to Squall. I think he was an asshole when dealing with Zell, but for the most part, I just think he was clueless about people's feelings.

Also, I didn't really like the world, all that much. I think I must have seen it as too similar to our own; part of what compelled me about FF9 was that it really seemed like a magical fantasy realm, in the European-style storybook sense -- but at the same time, it's all about conquest and realpolitik, which the wonk in me gets a real kick out of.
The world was indeed pretty interesting. Still, I found the main characters too mundane... :shrug:.

Also, I love side games. Specially when the side games are even more addicting than the main game (e.g. FF7's battle arena, FF8's triple triad). :p

W

WALMART

Dragon's Lair (NES)

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], FF8 was the epitome of PlayStation era RPG's.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Donkey Kong land for my original old, yellow, weighs half a ton and takes 4 AA batteries game boy.

That game was ridiculously huge...it had more worlds than the universe in a box episode from Futurama. Not to mention you died in one hit to ANYTHING. Which was great later on when the game decided to throw immortal wasps at you every 3 seconds.

Then again I was a child when I had this game so maybe this is all exaggerated from a child memory. I also had Donkey Kong country as well on GB colour as some others here have, that was a brain ache too.

Donkey Kong land did make up for it with this song though:

Actually most of it's soundtrack was wonderful.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am currently playing through dishonored at the hardest difficulty and making the ghost achievement a requirement. If someone sees me, I load the previous save.

It's challenging, but so far not too hard.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The Ü;1992030[I said:
Zelda 2.[/I]

I never could beat Shadow Link.

Also, anybody ever play Actraiser 2? Even the easy option was extrordinarily difficult, and I don't remember ever beating it.

There is also Illbleed for the Dreamcast....I did manage to beat that, but only with extreme difficulty.

Without Gamefaqs, I'd never have gotten past some of the puzzles in the Silent Hill series.

Then of course, there's the original Ghost n' Goblins...

I could never understand why so many people thought Castevania IV was difficult, however....

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Wizardry 8 on the PC, because it's huge, repetitive and frequently difficult. I get sick of being stunned, blinded, paralysed, nauseated, driven insane and then killed.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hard to think of anything that's actually all that 'unbeatable' (except for like old broken Nintendo games)

Trauma Center is pretty frickin hard though. Also Advance Wars Dual Strike.

Warsong on the Sega Genesis was also incredibly hard due to it's straight progression and no way to go back and level up. If you don't play optimally from the very start of the game, you are screwed.

Bullet hell shooters like DoDonPachi and Touhou are also rather insane in comparison to more western shooter counterparts - Touhou being the series that spawned the mocking "Eeeeeh? Iisi Moodo?!" meme, it's mocking because easy mode is supposed to be for kids and old ladies but is actually pretty fucking hard if you approach it as a casual player. Lunatic level is also aptly named.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting perspective! I tend to like flawed characters... and I used to relate a lot to Squall. I think he was an asshole when dealing with Zell, but for the most part, I just think he was clueless about people's feelings.
He was intentionally horrible to Quistis, too. :shrug: I dunno. I still crushed on him a little, but I dunno. It made more sense with Cloud and Zidane.

The world was indeed pretty interesting. Still, I found the main characters too mundane... :shrug:.
Some of them are pretty one-dimensional... But others, especially Zidane, get WAY more interesting by disc 3 or 4! (Also, as an ESTJ, there's a special place in my heart for Steiner. :laugh:)
Also, I love side games. Specially when the side games are even more addicting than the main game (e.g. FF7's battle arena, FF8's triple triad). :p
I don't remember the battle arena. :huh: I resent chocobo breeding, though, because a glitch in the chocobo breeding system in my copy of the game is what kept me from being able to finish it. :mad:
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], FF8 was the epitome of PlayStation era RPG's.
More so than FF7 or 9? Why?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's an arcade game called Haunted Castle. It's oddly related to Castlevania but not a "cannon" part of the series, and it was released before Castlevania 2 for the NES. It is stupidly difficult.

Speaking of arcade games, try Gradius 3 for the arcade. For SNES, it's no big deal. For the arcade, it's a bunch of bullshit.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I couldn't relate with Zidane at all. I mostly hated his appearance. I like rough leads I guess, like Squall :wubbie:
Yeah, the FF9 characters are SUPER weird looking. :laugh: And despite the plot/world of 8 (that I wasn't as much of a fan of), I will say that Squall is one of the sexiest characters that Square has ever produced. :wub:

W

WALMART

Yeah, the FF9 characters are SUPER weird looking. :laugh: And despite the plot/world of 8 (that I wasn't as much of a fan of), I will say that Squall is one of the sexiest characters that Square has ever produced. :wub:

Yes. He is perfect. But how could you not like the plot? It was set in a modern world with warring factions and wizards and time dilation and alternate dimensions and sorceresses that wished to collapse all of existence! And there was a sweet love story! And there was an awesome rivalry! Conspiracy! And Zell's hotdogs!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. He is perfect. But how could you not like the plot? It was set in a modern world with warring factions and wizards and time dilation and alternate dimensions and sorceresses that wished to collapse all of existence! And there was a sweet love story! And there was an awesome rivalry! Conspiracy! And Zell's hotdogs!
I think it was the "modern world" part. :shrug: It didn't really capture my imagination, being so close to real life. I liked the conspiracy, etc, but I didn't like the world enough to keep playing after the extremely irritating revelation of Who The Characters Are and Who The Sorceress Used To Be. I literally looked at the screen and went "Seriously?", then played for a few more hours, turned it off, and never played it again.

Maybe I'll give it another try later. :shrug: Who knows.

The conspiracy and the warring factions etc were what I really liked about FF9, btw. The fact that the game was so political, that you could see the conspiring, planning, and upheaval from the administrative level, from the king/queen's throne, and from "on the ground".

W

WALMART

I think it was the "modern world" part. :shrug: It didn't really capture my imagination, being so close to real life. I liked the conspiracy, etc, but I didn't like the world enough to keep playing after the extremely irritating revelation of Who The Characters Are and Who The Sorceress Used To Be. I literally looked at the screen and went "Seriously?", then played for a few more hours, turned it off, and never played it again.

Maybe I'll give it another try later. :shrug: Who knows.

The conspiracy and the warring factions etc were what I really liked about FF9, btw. The fact that the game was so political, that you could see the conspiring, planning, and upheaval from the administrative level, from the king/queen's throne, and from "on the ground".

Ah, yeah. That part was a little campy. It has come to my attention recently that I am incredibly susceptible to glaze over such ridiculous coincidences in story, lol.

But that means at least you saw the scene where the two gardens collided! That part was awesome.

I did enjoy FF9 quite a bit. I liked Steiner as well ;)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The few Final Fantasy games I attempted to play all ended in fast failures due to the intense scrutiny to numerical details necessary to implement effective strategies though the little bits of storyline scenes I reached were fairly well developed but anyway those seem to me a games which requires extreme patience and calculation if you are to even begin conceiving of defeating them.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

EJCC, I love you for this post. Honest to god, FF8 was basically the pretty boy FF. I mean, you had Squall, Seifer, Laguna, Irvine, Kiros...good lord. I was a Seifer girl back in the day, though, which should tell you all you need to know about how ill-informed my taste in men is lol. :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EJCC, I love you for this post. Honest to god, FF8 was basically the pretty boy FF. I mean, you had Squall, Seifer, Laguna, Irvine, Kiros...good lord. I was a Seifer girl back in the day, though, which should tell you all you need to know about how ill-informed my taste in men is lol. :laugh:
Ooh, Irvine was great too. Forgot about him.

Pretty boy in a good way, though! I have a hard time being attracted to any of the FF characters after that game, mostly because they're either 1) waaaaay too feminine for my taste*, or 2) dressed in really elaborate outfits that are distracting enough to take away from the sex appeal. Gotta love a man in a bomber jacket. :wub:

*I saw a blog post, once, that compared Tidus to Meg Ryan, and I have never been able to get that image out of my head. :laugh:

A

Anew Leaf

Ooh, Irvine was great too. Forgot about him.

Pretty boy in a good way, though! I have a hard time being attracted to any of the FF characters after that game, mostly because they're either 1) waaaaay too feminine for my taste*, or 2) dressed in really elaborate outfits that are distracting enough to take away from the sex appeal. Gotta love a man in a bomber jacket. :wub:

You liked Seifer?? But he is to FF8 as Gary is to Pokemon!
Actually, you know, he's also like Riku in Kingdom Hearts, and I'm a Riku fan, so I have officially cut you some slack. :)

*I saw a blog post, once, that compared Tidus to Meg Ryan, and I have never been able to get that image out of my head. :laugh:

@bold, :rofl1:

I LOVED ff10. I SOBBED for hours at the ending of that one. It's my favorite FF.

Squall was too emo whiny for me. :ninja: But then again I am not some super cool te-dom chick like you two. (It was a bit TOO much like looking into a mirror for me. :whistling:)