• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I had a heart attack when I read this...

Lark

It was a shock when I hear about it, didnt really sink in until I saw the interviews with Lucas and he said it was his retirement fund, respect that and all but he mustnt be bothered about anyone messing too much with his creation. I know the Beatles got done by their manager when he sold the rights of all their songs to Jackson, although he sold them back to them before he died because of all the law suits and allegations. Still McCartney said he was real glad that Jackson didnt decide to rerecord them himself.

Its another what the hell story, did I hear right that Disney bought Marvel? I knew there was some tie in with the Avengers movie but I thought WTF about that too.

When I heard the news commentary that it was their intent to buy up whatever was already popular and making money I thought two things, well, that's bed time for competition in entertainment and also that its a bit of a pronouncement about independent creativity in entertainment industries in the west, as in there isnt any, originality can bite the dust, if it hasnt already.

IBM and Microsoft pull stunts like this too when I think about it. Apple too.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lucas is horrible. He was perhaps decent but that was only for a short period.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know what would be great though is if Disney resurrected the abandoned Curse of Monkey Island movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It'd be like splitting the Hobbit into three movies.

I was really hoping you would have phrased this as, "It'd be like splitting a hobbit into three pieces."

*flashbacks to Leatherface terrorizing little people*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its another what the hell story, did I hear right that Disney bought Marvel? I knew there was some tie in with the Avengers movie but I thought WTF about that too.

Yes, this happened a few years ago.

Disney bought Capital Cities/ABC in 1995 for $19 billion, Pixar for $7.4 billion in 2006, Marvel for $4.2 billion in 2009 and this week, it said it will purchase Lucasfilm and the “Star Wars” franchise for $4.05 billion.

Which explains why there's been such a big push forward with the movies, it's part of Disney capitalizing off the properties although I think some of those concepts were already in the pipeline.

When I heard the news commentary that it was their intent to buy up whatever was already popular and making money I thought two things, well, that's bed time for competition in entertainment and also that its a bit of a pronouncement about independent creativity in entertainment industries in the west, as in there isnt any, originality can bite the dust, if it hasnt already.

Pixar is still doing well, although I didn't think Brave was up-to-snuff as far as recent Pixar offerings go. It was still decent by cinema standards, but just not the very top of the heap.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Disney is like that plastic smile hiding rage. They are horrendous.

But oh well, with this new merger. Just as long as they leave that "Enchanted" chick out of it, we may be okay.

Here she is, pining for a Sith Lord because all he needs is a little cheerful tune.
enchanted.jpg

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, they were well-directed, had good stories, but were poorly written. And you cannot deny that those three movies had incredible action sequences.
I think the horrible acting by a majority of the actors may partially be a testament to bad directing? No?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One question remains: Will Star Wars Episode VII still have the opening crawl at the beginning? Will it say "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." beforehand? If not, then it's not gonna be Star Wars.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Of course it will.

The real question is: Will they retain the (once) musical genius of John Williams?
Will they use another hack film composer? Kind of irrelevant either way.

The music in the prequels was largely forgettable. And at times, grating.
I'm afraid to say John Williams doesn't have it anymore.

Without Williams soundtrack, the test screening for the original Star Wars was disastrous.
Add some Williams next time around and voila! A very enthusiastic screening.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course it will.

The real question is: Will they retain the (once) musical genius of John Williams?
Will they use another hack film composer? Kind of irrelevant either way.

The music in the prequels was largely forgettable. And at times, grating.
I'm afraid to say John Williams doesn't have it anymore.

Without Williams soundtrack, the test screening for the original Star Wars was disastrous.
Add some Williams next time around and voila! A very enthusiastic screening.

Yeah, knowing Disney, they'll go with hacks like Hans Zimmer or one of his clones.

And come on, how could you not be in awe hearing "Duel of the Fates?"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I knew that George was gonna make smaller movies after Star Wars, the latest quote from him, "The [movies] I’m working on now will never get into the theaters," doesn't sound quite right... I always assumed that he was a horny old man and that he had fetishes beyond CGI and cinnamon bun hairdos, but this doesn't sound right at all...

And when was the last time John Williams had a good score to his credit? Lately, he seems to have composed pieces in his sleep. That last really good score of his, I think, was A.I. and Minority Report. Both films made at around the same time (shot nearly back-to-back, I believe, given their visual similarities) but manage to have a completely different type of score.