• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
metal has its roots in rock, which has its roots in blues, which is "black music"
Is that so. Doesn't sound much like it at all.

[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION]: Usually I don't like symphonic metal at all, but I sort of like Within Temptation. So there are several bands on here which I sort of like, which I would not have considered metal. I guess I only don't consider the extreme screamy stuff music. Oh and there was this one other, which I can't remember the name of...I wish I could. It was sort of depressing, but I could get into it for a bit.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is that so. Doesn't sound much like it at all.

well naturally there are some subgenres in between(and influencing each others), but thats basically how it went.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aha! I found the depressing song I sort of like:
This is metal, right?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION]: Usually I don't like symphonic metal at all, but I sort of like Within Temptation. So there are several bands on here which I sort of like, which I would not have considered metal. I guess I only don't consider the extreme screamy stuff music. Oh and there was this one other, which I can't remember the name of...I wish I could. It was sort of depressing, but I could get into it for a bit.
That's similar to me... I like almost all of Within Temptation's songs, but only a few scattered ones of other symphonic metal bands.

Sirenia is a symphonic/gothic metal band. WT also has some gothic influence, but that's mostly in their very early stuff.

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Globally seen: yes, it is music.
Personally seen: no,it is not music.

I gave a personal answer.

Metal sounds as screaming to me and screaming is not singing. I prefer rock music and just plain classical music.
No offense to the guys who like metal though.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like and appreciate Tool, but I wouldn't call them "metal" personally. Still not a bad suggestion though for someone looking for heavier edged music without screamy vocals.

I don't think edginess determines musical genre. Of course their music doesn't count as death metal. They have all the important characteristics of metal. They're just more progressive than most metal bands.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can appreciate Tool. Especially the way they incorporate math and other complex ideas.

Here's a totally unfounded and controversial theory: metal has roots in Germanic culture and rap in African culture. So metal represents the whitest of the white people and rap represents black people. So perhaps white people who don't resonate with African culture at all like metal and not rap, and black people who don't resonate with Germanic culture don't like metal.

Now feel free to totally disprove this.

I don't think there's anything to prove or disprove, because all music is connected. You are influenced by what's around you, whether directly or indirectly, and whether you like it or not.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Try Tool. (Now somebody's going to tell me they aren't metal, but that's just stupid)

Tool is one of my all time favorite bands ......I wouldn't ever call them metal their sound is just too varied and original for that. Plus there no metal band in history that even comes close to Danny's unreal drumming.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tool is one of my all time favorite bands ......I wouldn't ever call them metal their sound is just too varied and original for that. Plus there no metal band in history that even comes close to Danny's unreal drumming.

Agreed that they're way better than most metal bands, and especially agree with your statement about Danny Carey. Still doesn't make them "not metal," though. There's certainly no other, more appropriate musical classification, that I can think of.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Agreed that they're way better than most metal bands, and especially agree with your statement about Danny Carey. Still doesn't make them "not metal," though. There's certainly no other, more appropriate musical classification, that I can think of.

Metal is derived from a 70's and 80's style that resemble bands like black sabbath, motorhead and metallica. Tool has an alternative sound similar to newer forms of "D-tuned" rock such as alice and chains, peach and helmet. All those bands came out in the early 90's with "D-tuned" guitars little soloing and heavy low key rhythm. So technically they should be in a genre called Alternative rock or Alternative Metal. It's fairly outside the box of "metal" as it is genuinely it's own style.