• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=1330]swordpath[/MENTION] they really haven't changed much so it doesn't matter where you start really. I think all of their albums are good in their own way too bit if I have to pick one I'd go with Hope, then maybe The Morning Never Came, Emerald Forest and the Blackbird and so on.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Its clearly putting them in a box.

Well if you want to be consistent with this silly mindset then you shouldn't even be using the term "metal." Everything is just music, saying anything more than that is putting it in a box.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Well if you want to be consistent with this silly mindset then you shouldn't even be using the term "metal." Everything is just music, saying anything more than that is putting it in a box.

I'm guilty of doing it like anyone else but I rather not especially if the genres aren't as clear.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
[MENTION=8274]mrconfusion87[/MENTION]

Saw your metal musicians thread. If you hadn't seen this thread already, thought you might enjoy.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my absolute favorite classical death metal bands:

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bolt Thrower is kind of on the same level as Obituary to me: solid and consistent but nothing that really stands out from cd to cd due to being a little too consistent. I haven't listened to them in quite a while, but I think the ones I found the best are Realm of Chaos the The IVth Crusade.

You might like early Sentenced. Shadows of the Past sounds like a mix of Bolt Thrower, Death, and Paradise Lost.

North From Here might be more to your liking though, it is faster and more melodic. The bonus tracks on Shadows of the Past are more along the lines of North From Here (Wings is on both) but still recorded at the same time as Shadows of the Past, so they have the same production/mixing. I haven't listened to Amok in so long that I can't say how the sound is exactly, but it is also more melodic, and not as heavy. All three are awesome and are their best cds by far.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I still regard this as one of the most intense metal bands ever. One of my favorites at that. They've got a formula and they've owned it.
"For Those Who Were Crucified" (1998):

"Condemned to Suffer" (2003):

From their latest "Into the Killing Fields" (2010):

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
These drums alone is more music than most crap you hear from radio

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Rap is not music because it is twisted and ugly. It's noise and represents everything I despise and do not want near me.
That is completely subjective, but I do not give a subjective f**k about it, either. :)
Metal often sings of my ancestors and their deeds, or the glory of battle. I like that.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Rap is not music because it is twisted and ugly. It's noise and represents everything I despise and do not want near me.
That is completely subjective, but I do not give a subjective f**k about it, either. :)
Metal often sings of my ancestors and their deeds, or the glory of battle. I like that.

YourLocalJesus, is that you?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Listen to my link. Growling, yes it's in there but all things considered, it's a pretty good song, no?

It's not fair to lump metal in with the argument that rap isn't music. Metal bands play all their instruments the same way any band does. A lot of it is very technical musically as well. Most of your real metal (I'm not talking about that crap you hear on the radio) is rooted in classical music.

Most modern western music has classical roots. Not just metal. Also, FYI, there are rappers with live bands backing them, and it does take a lot of skill to rap, as if any of that had anything to do with whether or not it was music to begin with.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It may be skillfully produced noise, but I wouldn't call that music. "Music" by my definition has some kind of harmony and pleasant sound to it. Preferably with a good beat that makes me want to move. I do consider rap music for all of these reasons.

Pleasant is a subjective term. If people didn't find metal pleasant, they wouldn't listen to it. Not to say that all music entertains the mind in the same way, but there's some way that it registers with a person, otherwise they wouldn't subject themselves to it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Most modern western music has classical roots. Not just metal. Also, FYI, there are rappers with live bands backing them, and it does take a lot of skill to rap, as if any of that had anything to do with whether or not it was music to begin with.

And that's one of the few occasions I can listen to rap - when there's a real band backing.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I like and appreciate Tool, but I wouldn't call them "metal" personally. Still not a bad suggestion though for someone looking for heavier edged music without screamy vocals.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like and appreciate Tool, but I wouldn't call them "metal" personally. Still not a bad suggestion though for someone looking for heavier edged music without screamy vocals.

I can appreciate Tool. Especially the way they incorporate math and other complex ideas.

Here's a totally unfounded and controversial theory: metal has roots in Germanic culture and rap in African culture. So metal represents the whitest of the white people and rap represents black people. So perhaps white people who don't resonate with African culture at all like metal and not rap, and black people who don't resonate with Germanic culture don't like metal.

Now feel free to totally disprove this.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can appreciate Tool. Especially the way they incorporate math and other complex ideas.

Here's a totally unfounded and controversial theory: metal has roots in Germanic culture and rap in African culture. So metal represents the whitest of the white people and rap represents black people. So perhaps white people who don't resonate with African culture at all like metal and not rap, and black people who don't resonate with Germanic culture don't like metal.

Now feel free to totally disprove this.

metal has its roots in rock, which has its roots in blues, which is "black music"