• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hip Hop Thread

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it depends on who you're talking about.

if you think soulja boy's "writing" them for anything but the money, well, i've got a bridge...

well obviously, but there is a ton of middle ground between soulja boy and the kinda stuff you posted which is pretty much exclusively listened to by white boys who think they have some deeper understanding of "real hip hop."

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure this will turn out to be the search functions fault. Either that or there is something wrong with those particular threads. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
vBulletin's search function is... I won't say useless, but "only situationally useful" fits. It doesn't recognize 3-letter words, nor does it see terms in quotation marks as a single term. I guess I thought that was common knowledge.

Unless I'm searching for posts by X user or something specialized like that, I almost always use Google. If you search like this, it turns up all kinds of results: site:typologycentral.com "hip hop"

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

nice rip off of classic beat

sick dubstep remix

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
there seems to be 4 video limit per post so:

fuck lil wayne, 50 cent and other hip pop fags

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I like hip hop when other people play a song, but i don't usually seek it out myself, i'm lazy I should seek it out more.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
well obviously, but there is a ton of middle ground between soulja boy and the kinda stuff you posted which is pretty much exclusively listened to by white boys who think they have some deeper understanding of "real hip hop."

You actually gunna post a song, or just complain about some white boys claiming to have a deeper understanding of real hip hop, while your white ass does the same thing? *throws gang sign* *awaits something from someone with 'lil', 'young' or 'wiz' in their name*

I actually posted in one of those, which is why I was confused.

I just figured it might've just said "rap".

I'm pretty sure this will turn out to be the search functions fault. Either that or there is something wrong with those particular threads. :D

Bingo.

vBulletin's search function is... I won't say useless, but "only situationally useful" fits. It doesn't recognize 3-letter words, nor does it see terms in quotation marks as a single term. I guess I thought that was common knowledge.

Aye. I guess it's common knowledge that the search function blows, but I didn't know the thing about 3-letter words.

Will just do the smart thing and go to google next time.

themoreyouknow.jpg

[MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] good selection. not familiar with necro, and wu-tang and jedi mind tricks aren't my favorite (i do like em, tho, have seen em both live, and own a good number of albums -- that kinda violence/"(middle-)eastern mysticism"/callin people faggots subsubgenre just isn't my favorite), but the roots were the first concert i ever went to, and nothing but love for black star (even tho they've kinda sucked when i've seen em).

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You actually gunna post a song, or just complain about some white boys claiming to have a deeper understanding of real hip hop, while your white ass does the same thing? *throws gang sign* *awaits something from someone with 'lil', 'young' or 'wiz' in their name*

lol, did i do the same thing? i'm just not a snob about it is all. i can appreciate old classic shit and still listen to pussy poppin in the club type music because it's fun and the whole point of music is entertainment. and yeah i like some lils, a couple youngs, and ummm is there even more than one rappper with wiz in their name? cuz i don't listen to wiz khalifa.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
lol, did i do the same thing? i'm just not a snob about it is all. i can appreciate old classic shit and still listen to pussy poppin in the club type music because it's fun and the whole point of music is entertainment. and yeah i like some lils, a couple youngs, and ummm is there even more than one rappper with wiz in their name? cuz i don't listen to wiz khalifa.

I don't know, I don't listen to him, either, and, frankly, I'm not sure, cuz there's been such a proliferation of those names among this young (shitty) crop of "artists" that I haven't been able, nor have I really tried, to keep up with it. The truth is, I, like you, can appreciate old classic shit and still listen to pussy poppin in the club type music (there is actually some that almost fits into both categories), but for a long time now there has been a struggle by true, genuine artists (not just entertainers) to elevate hip hop music to a higher level than just the pussy poppin/gangsta/drug-dealin/mysoginistic/violent shit, but it's that shit that has flooded the airwaves, supported by the major record labels, as well as the idiots who would prefer some sweet, saccharine kool-aid to a truly fine wine. There's sincere and genuine bitterness behind it, because hip hop has the potential to reach that higher level -- in a number of artists' cases, it has -- but that higher level continually gets drowned out by the shallow, meaningless drivel that has comprised the majority of the mainstream fare. I agree that music is (generally) supposed to be about fun, but great music can also become something more. It just can't penetrate society enough when all you hear is "rack city, bitch, rack rack city, bitch".

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol, did i do the same thing? i'm just not a snob about it is all. i can appreciate old classic shit and still listen to pussy poppin in the club type music because it's fun and the whole point of music is entertainment.

Saying that music in general or hip hop in particular is just about "entertainment" is to essentially define the artform by its lowest common denominator.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry, lemme back up my response to you a bit, [MENTION=7991]chana[/MENTION].

I can't remember who said it right now, but the best description I've ever heard of hip hop is as "a man tryin to get some shit off his chest". Hip hop's about self-expression, which is why it's become so universal. I think since rap encompasses all aspects of life, the good and the bad, there's always been something of a schism in my mind about the artform, which I've always referred to as the Grandmaster Flash/Sugarhill Gang dichotomy. You have on the one hand Grandmaster Flash rappin about the heavy shit: social inequality, poverty, and the despair that these things engender in "The Message". And you have on the other hand The Sugarhill Gang who made essentially the protype of the club/party joint with "Rapper's Delight". Both songs are equally influential, and equally true to the artist's experience, but of the two the one that charted was "Rapper's Delight".

So I'm with you in that hip hop can be fun, commercially succesful, and still be considered true to the artform. This bullshit about keeping it real automatically meaning keeping it heavy is just that, and has absolutely nothing to do with the history of the music. But it's equally ignorant to undercut the artform by saying that all it is is some shit you can grind to at the club.