• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Looper

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Obviously not everyone agrees with you. (In fact, you seem to hold a minority opinion.) hence, it's not universal. Obviously a lot of professional reviewers who are well-versed in cinema did not have issues with the mixing of elements that seems so bothersome to you. I didn't really have an issue with it either.

I do agree with you about not having any idea where the movie was going, something that rarely happens with me, and so I could appreciate that aspect as well.

I certainly don't wish to be the contrarian here.

It wasn't the mixing of elements--my complaints stem from the approach and technical aspects. The script needed a bit more polish--the two opening acts went forth at full locomotive speed and ran out of steam once it reached the end of the line.

To me, the third act felt fabricated as opposed to organic segue. The themes and concepts presented are not common in mainstream science fiction, but Johnson didn't really go anywhere with them. Ultimately, he chose the easy way out. The mainstream exit.

Nonetheless, I can understand how Looper is critically lauded.
Upon closer inspection, it is, indeed, a very good movie.
But it should have been great. An instant classic.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What an intellectually lazy response.

I think it's appropriate if someone says, "This should be a problem for ANYONE watching this movie -- it universally is wrong," and the reality is that the huge majority of the universe says, "Uh, we actually liked it." There is a discord between someone's claim (speaking for others) and the actual opinion of the others.

This is called projection.

Looper 93%

The Dark Knight Rises 87%

A

Anew Leaf

So I finally saw this tonight, and I enjoyed the ride. I did find one part of the plot super irritating to deal with however:

The parts I really enjoyed:

edit: I really hate all of the make-up they added to the kid's face. A: he wasn't attractive and B: he looked just enough different that it bothered me the entire movie.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looper was a well-done sci-fi movie, I have no complaints about it. The theme of the movie is dark and the visual presentation is stunning. The sci-fi element blended so well into the plot that it didn't detract from the movie. Even the flying motorcycles were forgivable. The only question I have is, why do they send the old looper to be assassinated by himself 30 years in the past (thus "closing the loop")? This should lead to some awkward moments and so it does when a looper hesitates to kill his future self. The Rainmaker was also portrayed well. The fact that his future self was never seen in the movie was well-thought out. Some critics have bashed the movie's telekinetic element, but I thought it was awesome. So shut up. It is sci-fi after all, you unimaginative narrow-minded dweebs.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Great interview with Emily Blunt (who was in the movie).. but it's got spoilers.
http://www.myspace.com/whats-hot/20...will-ever-see-and-the-proper-way-to-chop-wood

One note is that she talks about Pierce Gagnon, the boy... he's only five, but he's pretty mesmerizing on screen. She describes working with him in detail, and I think it's the funniest thing that the kid could be so "on" when he was being filmed, and then between takes he's just a boy without even a clear big-picture sense of everything in the movie.

Just watched Looper. I liked it. The boy did a great job.

Lark

Got to say that this film got me into eating steak and scrambled eggs and started me drinking water with my cups of black coffee.

I dont believe that I'd learn either french or chinese though. I liked the woman who was the mom of the rain maker, although she smokes and I'd not find her attractive in person I think.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Got to say that this film got me into eating steak and scrambled eggs and started me drinking water with my cups of black coffee.

I dont believe that I'd learn either french or chinese though. I liked the woman who was the mom of the rain maker, although she smokes and I'd not find her attractive in person I think.
Emily Blunt is a babe. I'd smoke with her (and I quit smoking!)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Emily Blunt is a babe. I'd smoke with her (and I quit smoking!)

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
MgfPX.jpg

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun ride, but I did not like the psychics being introduced randomly in the middle. It's a fun "once off" imo, not nearly as good as 12 monkeys in my opinion which dealt with the same sort of temporal synchronicity aspects that looper did. Also, why the hell is Bruce Willis in so many sci-fi flicks?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The movie was cool, a bit unbalanced action wise though; kind of slow in the beginning and then rushed in the end, imo. :shrug:

Interesting. I thought the first half was enjoyable and compelling and then when the farm came into play I kind of lost interest.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun ride, but I did not like the psychics being introduced randomly in the middle. It's a fun "once off" imo, not nearly as good as 12 monkeys in my opinion which dealt with the same sort of temporal synchronicity aspects that looper did. Also, why the hell is Bruce Willis in so many sci-fi flicks?

I enjoyed both movies, but found 12 Monkeys colder, with the quirk acting as a buffer from me attaching more to the characters. I felt like the characters in Looper were more emotionally accessible and I resonated more with their plight overall, throughout the movie.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's cool that it was a "show, don't tell" movie.

Everything ties together if you pay attention. Everything is a foreshadow for something else.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's cool that it was a "show, don't tell" movie.

Everything ties together if you pay attention. Everything is a foreshadow for something else.

I totally agree with this, and the thoughtfulness of the movie in this regard makes it pretty "tight" to me as well -- it's why I like it. the pieces were all there, I didn't really notice any glaring "rip-offs" that occurred. I do understand why some people were bothered by the TK thing becoming a prominent part of the plot rather than a background detail, esp if they are not into that kind of thing, but I think the pieces were there early in the movie. And there's a big resonance in Joe's life that is mirrored in the kid's life as well; it is something that Young Joe uses to identify with the kid and ends up contributing to his final choices in the narrative. The cycle repeats itself from life to life.

(I've seen the picture twice, btw. So the second time, I had the luxury of looking at all the details to see what matched up or resonated throughout.)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I totally agree with this, and the thoughtfulness of the movie in this regard makes it pretty "tight" to me as well -- it's why I like it. the pieces were all there, I didn't really notice any glaring "rip-offs" that occurred. I do understand why some people were bothered by the TK thing becoming a prominent part of the plot rather than a background detail, esp if they are not into that kind of thing, but I think the pieces were there early in the movie. And there's a big resonance in Joe's life that is mirrored in the kid's life as well; it is something that Young Joe uses to identify with the kid and ends up contributing to his final choices in the narrative. The cycle repeats itself from life to life.

(I've seen the picture twice, btw. So the second time, I had the luxury of looking at all the details to see what matched up or resonated throughout.)

Yeah. I also like how there are no technical experts in the movie. I can't stand it when somebody does the explanatory monologue for how everything works, especially when the fact that they know all that stuff in the first place isn't even justified.

It's worse than when the detective has to always tell the forensics analyst to "zoom in... now, enhance." Is that necessary? Just shut up and do it!

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess for me the TKs had no "purpose" except /insert powerful bad guy. I know they were introduced at the beginning, but you don't know what they are till later. They seemed unnecessary in the story like if he had another reason for accumulating power like some technology or just a lot of hired muscle it would have been more realistic. What I liked about 12 monkeys more was Willis going forward with his mission even though he thought he was insane and knew he would lose everything in the end

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm pretty sure that telekinesis is less far fetched than time travel is. :troll:

Edit: and actually there's not a lot of difference between technology and mental powers. Both are governed by physics.

Time travel breaks a hell of a lot more rules than TK would though.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Eh, I found the logic of the time travel to be...lacking. Also, the end of the film was a bit stupid and underwhelming. Otherwise, though, it was cool enough, except for JGL's ugly face (why, why, why did they give him chunti eyebrows?)