• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Alien - "This movie is about interspecies rape"

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Ripley of course. But didn't she look like a man at the end? Yes.

by the third movie her femininity is a major subplot, she is actively discouraged from mingling with men in order to protect both herself (as a woman - from rape) and the men from straying from their oaths of celibacy.

and in the fourth she looked rather feminine to me.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Not surprised, already knew about it. Between the two of them, especially Giger's works that the Alien design was based on, it's kinda obvious.

Anyway. Have a picture.
wissbd.jpg

Oops, I mean this one
35jb8ye.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ripley of course. But didn't she look like a man at the end? Yes.

Lambert too, and the scene in which she was taken was very sexual.

Not sure why the hell Ripley "looks like a man" has any bearing on anything, since she was also treated as a woman and contrasted with the men on the ship, even physically to the point of stripping to her bikini bottoms in a standard "female vulnerability" pose.

EDIT: The movies were all done by different people, and there was a lot of studio interference in #3 and #4. There is no real connection in concept. It's why 1 & 2 are universally acclaimed movies, #3 is arguable, and #4 is typically considered to be crap. Alien3 has nothing to do with the original vision of Alien, where the artistic concept was generated.

[MENTION=16071]sprinkles[/MENTION]: uh.... yeah... um.... that's what we were getting at. Lol!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lambert too, and the scene in which she was taken was very sexual.

Not sure why the hell Ripley "looks like a man" has any bearing on anything, since she was also treated as a woman and contrasted with the men on the ship, even physically to the point of stripping to her bikini bottoms in a standard "female vulnerability" pose.

EDIT: The movies were all done by different people, and there was a lot of studio interference in #3 and #4. There is no real connection in concept. It's why 1 & 2 are universally acclaimed movies, #3 is arguable, and #4 is typically considered to be crap. Alien3 has nothing to do with the original vision of Alien, where the artistic concept was generated.

[MENTION=16071]sprinkles[/MENTION]: uh.... yeah... um.... that's what we were getting at. Lol!

My research indicates that there was only a "Lambert rape" by the audience's subjective interpretation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You win. Enjoy the thread.

NOOOOOOOOO.

You didn't let me point out that the boots and pants in the Lambert "rape" scene with the alien tail going between the legs actually belonged to PARKER.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
In Alien, the beauty lies in how subtle the distorted and evil sexuality is played. The first time I saw it at 20, I didn't even pick up on it. But this also works in the movie's favor--it doesn't take a sledgehammer to your head like a Cronenberg or Lynch movie.

There is an obvious reason those fellas had trouble appealing to mainstream audiences.

Silence

Permabanned
MBTI Type
mute
I think one of the main things that made that movie scary was that everyone's a potential rape victim. I read something about how they mentioned that previous movies weren't as scary to men because it usually expressed the concept of unspeakable physical torture and men generally had the idea they're tough as nails and can withstand that. Something like that, they said. I think that's what they said.

Then Alien is the one that's goes to a deeper level of fear with the sexual violation. And supposedly men are really creeped out by the idea of getting raped in the mouth and impregnated by some creepy hand thingy with a vagina mouth.

Or so I've heard... too lazy to look up the source.

93JC

Yes, I've read O'Bannon's draft. Giler and Hill's revisions made it significantly better. Right off the bat even the names in O'Bannon's script are silly: the ship is called Snark and its captain is Standard. :dry:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm rewatching Prometheus tonight.

Wish me luck.