• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does catchy pop music really suck?

rav3n

I saw this on the tv couple days ago and @ the bold caught my attention.
Here, I toke pix!
It's a cool clip where my interpretation of it is that as he's singing, he paints the picture of the two of them in a relationship. She, as part of the initial concept, then separates from his picture/concept and tells her part of the story. He subsequently unpaints her with more words 'now you're just somebody that I used to know', from his picture/concept of the relationship.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well I wouldn't say it sucks. It's just not special.

Music is kinda like building a house. Not just any schmo off the street can do it properly, but with practice and experience, one can learn to build a house. Some houses aren't shit and aren't spectacular, they are just houses - it took knowledge, work, and technique to build them but they don't inspire, while other houses are architectural masterpieces.

Music is kind of the same way. Most people can't do the stuff they rag on, yet it isn't special either. It's just kinda there. It's music, it's technically sound, it's by the book, but that's it. Nothing else going for it really.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate people who get all "worthy" about music appreciation. Knobs.

Like what you like and don't sweat the naffness factor. That's the way to really be in touch with yourself and have fun. :party2:

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Some pop is good, like Gangam Style and Love Today.
Some of it isn't so great. Like 99% of the rest.

There's actually some science behind pop music being popular, your brain has an endorphin release when it successfully predicts a pattern, pop music, in its simplicity, offers plenty of predictable motions for your brain to get high on. More intricate music may give you a better high, but only with greater effort and it'll take some experience with music in general, hence that pop is popular mostly among teens and young adults.
This doesn't explain why Shostakovich is so fucking awesome.

tomas

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
?
i'm hooked to that song too XP i find myself listening especially when things get hard
associating with the lighter times of before my extreme adult dramas...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it just comes down to what you're listening to it for. I mean, it is popular for a reason. Some music is popular because of meaningful lyrics. Some music is popular because of the emotional appeal of the music itself. Some music is popular because it's good club music. Etc.

Music just is what it is. I like a lot of dance music, if I'm in the right mood for it: It does what it does because that's what it's designed to do, and it's not meant to have the same impact or meaning as some other deeper stuff. Dance music isn't my favorite style, but it's part of what I can listen to and enjoy. That being said, I think there is some music that shows some craftsmanship in any genre, and then there is music in that genre that is just derivative, cookie cutter, not very musically proficient, etc.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Music just is what it is. I like a lot of dance music, if I'm in the right mood for it: It does what it does because that's what it's designed to do, and it's not meant to have the same impact or meaning as some other deeper stuff. Dance music isn't my favorite style, but it's part of what I can listen to and enjoy. That being said, I think there is some music that shows some craftsmanship in any genre, and then there is music in that genre that is just derivative, cookie cutter, not very musically proficient, etc.

yay! dance with me then! :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yay! dance with me then! :laugh:

Lol. See, that's what I consider decent... even the video was executed well and had a consistent visual style that fit the music well.

Plus... I caught myself dancing as I was listening. :happy2:

I don't listen to pop music because I'm better than those idiots, but this weekend I was at a wedding and this idiotic song came on:
But yeah. It's kinda awesome.

All the hot shirtless guys, I bet... amirite or amirite??? :happy2: :newwink:

It's not Led Zeppling or Queen, but it's catchy, amirite? So does it really suck, or can it be appreciated for being catchy? Ice cream isn't caviar, but it's still delicious.

I think it's a little more cookie cutter than the Lollipop song and execution, but i can deal with it. Sometimes I'm in the mood for this kind of song -- it's one of those things where I might pay $1 for a song off her album, just to add to a mix, but I doubt I'd buy an entire album by one singer that sounded like this, I couldn't deal with ten songs in a row in this bracket.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

omg i still can't stop listening to thissssss shakity shake

You know it has gone mainstream America when you hear this song on your local radio stations.... XD

And people that still don't know about the song going "WTF... and why is this song on here."