• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Endings you wish you never knew.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ever read a book, seen a movie or anime or anything similar that had an ending you wish you never seen?

Today I am adding this one to the list.
Phantom: Requiem of Phantom (Anime)

There were a few tragedies in the story that I'd have rather seen ending more positively but could understand as part of the story, but the ending was uncalled for, and didn't even make much sense. Such a downer. :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Source Code -- the movie should have cut off about 8 minutes before the ending that was released. Not that it was terrible, but it was definitely much more powerful if the director had gone for the non-feel-good ending.

Highlander -- Everything was decent until the final battle, and right afterwards suddenly all that crazy special effects / spooky demon shit seemed to come out of left field and change the tone of the movie + the final minute or two was just kind of goofy. Which is too bad, because I consider the OPENING of that movie to be one of the best movie openings I've seen (narration -- then blackness/silence-- then Queen BLAMMO just kicks in with a solid wall of harmony).

The Heritage of Shannara sequence by Terry Brooks -- a four-book series which had its ups and downs but some pretty good ups in spots... and suddenly he wraps up a four-book series in the space of about four pages. It was the craziest thing I've seen... when reading it, I remember thinking that either the publisher stiffed him for pages or he had missed deadline and had no time to actually funnel back out satisfyingly.

Berke Breathed's Bloom County -- and I'm not referring to the actual run of Bloom County (which was great) but to this whole Outland and Opus business where he tried to do something new, struggled, and ended up diving back into BLoom County crap again but not nearly as good. he should have just ended it and kept it ended.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
game of thrones season 1, why did you kill Ned Stark? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????

also, kinda the inheritance series, i mean they killed the king and all, but afterwards Eragon and Arya were just like "lol, ok, imma leave now and well nvr see eachother again, so ya, bye, no words about our unspoken feelings for eachother or anything"

inb4someoneSaysSopranos

KDude

inb4someoneSaysSopranos

I didn't think that was bad at all.. I think that last scene was trying to show they'd go about their lives looking like a normal family.. like it was all just a story of one nameless family out of millions. But you never really know what people are behind that image.

W

WALMART

Red Dead Redemption

I remember staring at the screen in disbelief... very few times have media brought me to such wonder.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Red Dead Redemption

I remember staring at the screen in disbelief... very few times have media brought me to such wonder.

i have blocked this from my memory and you have brought it back... i think i mightve actually cried during this ending though. I should play that game again...

back on topic, pretending the whole world doesnt already know the story and the shock value hasnt been lost for about 350 years, romeo and juliet. think about it, if you were seeing it for the first time... what would your reaction be to them killing themselves?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For Whom The Bell Tolls. And the tv series Lost. And the movie American History X.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The entire last third of the movie "Hancock".

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Huh. Seems to be two to three trains of thought here:

1. Endings that weren't necessarily bad, but were depressing.

2. Endings that were done terribly, but to stories that needed some kind of ending.

3. (Some overlap with 2) Endings that kind took away the mystery to a story in some way and just shouldn't have been included / explained too much.

I guess Sopranos would fall into a 4th group, the opposite of 3, endings that didn't explain enough.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a whole thing that I kinda wish I never knew.

Not that it wasn't good, it was awesome. But way too many feels for me. It was nearly traumatic for me.

Also, Death Note.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
There are more things that might come in my mind, but nothing beats the ending of the game C&C Tiberian Twilight (luckily I didn't buy it because the game itself is crap too, watched only the endings on Youtube).

There is also another ending for GDI but I guess when you have seen this ending already you don't want to see the other anymore.

Oh yeah and thanks EA for ruining a once great game series in a way no sane mind would have been able to foresee.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
There are more things that might come in my mind, but nothing beats the ending of the game C&C Tiberian Twilight (luckily I didn't buy it because the game itself is crap too, watched only the endings on Youtube).

There is also another ending for GDI but I guess when you have seen this ending already you don't want to see the other anymore.

Oh yeah and thanks EA for ruining a once great game series in a way no sane mind would have been able to foresee.

Wow, that is pretty bad. And people get paid to do this?? I've seen better fan made productions than this.

Edit: And geeze, there's apparently strict DRM on this game too where you have to be online at all times or it doesn't work. The hell were they thinking? That's some pretty egotistical shit right there considering that it probably isn't even worth stealing.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mass Effect 3 ending.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Mist has a mindfuck of an ending. ISTJ and ESFJ brothers were astonished + frustrated. I just laughed at everyone's reaction at the cinema. :laugh:

Not necessarily bad, but very disturbing and fairly illogical.

Well, the whole movie is sort of illogical, anyways. Don't recommend.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Agreed on American History X.. Menace to Society was another I didn't take any joy out of. I couldnt even call these movies 'good'.. It would imply I enjoyed them. They got their message across, and they were powerful, but I could have done without it.

The ending of The Darkangel trilogy by Merideth Ann Pierce.

Lightyear

The ending of Sunshine by Danny Boyle was just unbelievably shit. I am not a big Boyle fan but at least the first two thirds of the movie were beautifully shot, philosophical and intriguing and then Boyle (SPOILER ALERT) decided to turn this whole thing into a slasher/ horror movie. He promised that he would deal in the movie with the conflict between science and faith, which is a great subject, but all Boyle did was to send a crazed, religious zealot through the spaceship who killed off members of the crew while uttering such great lines as: "I spoke with God. He told me to take us all to Heaven." Really Boyle? As a Christian I actually feel offended that that's all you have to offer on the subject.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The conclusion to the third book of Pullman's "His Dark Materials" story. A stupid fight. A stupid/thoughtless view of god not worthy of the rest of the story. It was a shame, I really really found the first two books to be wonderful.

The Mist has a mindfuck of an ending. ISTJ and ESFJ brothers were astonished + frustrated. I just laughed at everyone's reaction at the cinema. :laugh:

Not necessarily bad, but very disturbing and fairly illogical.

Well, the whole movie is sort of illogical, anyways. Don't recommend.

That was one of those movies for me that was spoiled by my reading the novella years and years ago. Not only did my imagination do a better job at "filming the picture" in my head, but the ending of the story was far more provocative and poignant than the cheaper ending promoted by the movie; but, as with much of King's writing, things that work beautifully on the page just don't translate nearly as well into the cinematic medium.

They definitely did go for the "cheap shock value" in the movie ending, which is TOTALLY different from the tone set by the story. I think I was amused, surprised, and disgusted, while also being slightly admiring of the panache involved. ("Wow. They actually had the balls to do that.")

I guess Sopranos would fall into a 4th group, the opposite of 3, endings that didn't explain enough.

I think I read one of those top ten lists a few months ago (on a site comprised entirely of them, kind of like Cracked articles), where they discussed movies/shows with actual footage that was filmed/scripted but never shot or edited into the picture that would have changed the tone/ending of the story.

The Sopranos finale was one of those, and it involved a snippet that would have been tagged right on the end of the last scene of the finale, that would have entirely changed the ending.

RE: Lost.... I would agree in the sense of the entire last season or two (I think the best seasons were starting with Ben Linus' arrival under a pseudonym up through maybe halfway through Season 4.) The last season or two struggled, and the exposition of Jacob and the Man in Black was not worthy of the mystery preceding it. I don't really know what happened, it just lost its way somewhere...

But I would disagree about the very VERY ending. I think the very VERY ending (maybe the last fifteen minutes of the show) was about the best ending the series could have made, and the Jack sequence was exactly what I thought the ending was going to be ever since the first season or two. I think they knew that bit when they shot the first episode.

(And then of course, ABC proceeded to muck it up by adding those confusing pictures of the wreckage on the beach. That wasn't Abrams, that was ABC tinkering with things and in the process confusing some viewers.)