• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

It's official: Pop music is louder and less original than it used to be.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Modern pop is totally overprocessed and vapid. But there is a lot of new stuff that is really good. You just have to keep your ears open and look beyond the stuff that has been heavily marketed.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is anyone else here into Tom Waits?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKkWj6OEJw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKkWj6OEJw[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like some of Tom Waits stuff. I also like Tik Tok by Kesha.

Now this is someone that is unafraid to like what they like.

In the same spirit, I'll offer that I think "Mmmbop" is one of the most brilliant pop songs ever.

ygolo

My termites win
Did "pop music" as a genre exist before the time of this study? I mean there was music that was popular, but there wasn't an industry aiming to "make pop music" before then, was there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music
Pop music (a term that originally derives from an abbreviation of "popular") is a genre of popular music which originated in its modern form in the 1950s, deriving from rock and roll.[1] The terms popular music and pop music are often used interchangeably, even though the former is a description of music which is popular (and can include any style), whilst the latter is a specific genre containing qualities of mass appeal.[1]

Mass production can often lead to poorer quality. Perhaps this is what happened with "pop music".

With that said, I have liked many songs that I've heard over the years, and I like many songs created before 1955 also.

G

Ginkgo

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ4YY4wkIJ4"]The Guilty Pleasure[/YOUTUBE]

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ygolo asked a exellent question.

And since the study involves music that predates the "POP" genre they are actually taking about music that has topped the billboard lists since the 50s and so on.

That includes wierd ones like the following

"It was released in 1963 and reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100."
wiki

"Oh Yeah" is a single released in 1985 by the Swiss band Yello and featured in their album Stella. It reached No. 51 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1987.[1]

If you want complexity i suggest something like this.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ygolo asked a exellent question.

And since the study involves music that predates the "POP" genre they are actually taking about music that has topped the billboard lists since the 50s and so on.

That includes wierd ones like the following

"It was released in 1963 and reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100."
wiki

"Oh Yeah" is a single released in 1985 by the Swiss band Yello and featured in their album Stella. It reached No. 51 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1987.[1]

back to the OT.
If you want complexity i suggest something like this.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just realized this irony:

You know you're in trouble when a free webcomic's Crowning Music of Awesome is better than stuff that people demand you pay them for and sue you over it if you don't.

Burger King

Speaking of Asia, though, I do love me some K-Pop

My siblings love that stuff. I'm not so into the new stuff. Have you heard of this particular group?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oppvxs5ErKc"]Loveholic[/YOUTUBE]

Also, since everyone be postin' vids like crazy, I think this song is relevant regarding the current state of the music industry. The lyrics are kinda clever.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3XJxJEUr9o"]Seed 2.0[/YOUTUBE]

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The concept of complexity in music and what makes different music appeal to me than others is something I occasionally think about, but have never managed to come up with a solid criteria or hypothesis for...

For me, lyrics more important than music, but I can still enjoy good music with simple lyrics and even great lyrics can be ruined by music that does nothing for me. I don’t think I need a lot of complexity either lyrically or musically to enjoy a song (I’ve listed to prog rock and while I don’t hate it, the complexity aspect of it really does nothing for me). I try to keep an open mind to different types of music, but recent popular/mainstream music here in the states does little to nothing for me emotionally.

I liked a lot of the pop music that eMpTyV played in the 80s, and even some of the what was popular in the 90s, but it seems to have gone downhill rapidly in the last decade or so. Lyrically, I can understand that my age and being disconnected from current youth culture may be a factor, but there is no good reason that age and culture should matter for the music itself and that’s where I feel like the modern stuff is weakest – I listen to it and wonder what the people that like it see in and if they feel the music or not and if they do, then why do I feel nothing when I listen to the same thing?

Fortunately, I don’t feel like I have any shortage of good music to listen to, and a lot of what I listen to is recent releases, but I have had to go out of my way to explore less popular genres and a lot of what I listen to is from other countries, so I would say that music in the states simply took evolutionary turns that were not to my liking (and by this thread not to the liking of a lot of people).

My general bias is for hard rock, symphonic rock/metal, and electronic music, but I listen to lots of different genres and as far as 80s pop goes, the stuff remember most from back then was The Eurythmics, Thomas Dolby, Petshop Boys, Journey, Kansas and stuff similar to those.

Although they may not have the same feel as 80s music, two recent finds that enjoy and recommend giving a listen to are…

Indica (from Finland)
“in 2003, they signed their first recording contract and began work on their debut album, "Ikuinen Virta", which spent 30 weeks in the Finnish charts and reached platinum sales. Like going from zero to 60 in three seconds, they’ve taken their country by storm with their contemporary mix of pop, rock, exotic instruments, Finnish melancholy and mystical, nature-inspired lyrics. The press promptly coined a neat description: mystic romantic pop.”

and

Ashbury Heights (from Sweden)
“Our intent is to continue where the 80's left off, to develop our sound with the same love of experimentation and futurism that fuelled bands like Kraftwerk, New Order and Depeche Mode and just like them we wont look back but ever forward. Thus our music is intended to share the spirit of synth pop music, but we will never aspire to replicate what has since long come to pass.”

Although I would not call them pop, I also do like VNV Nation and The Cruxshadows and they both seem to have a fairly high level of popularity (but not enough that I've ever heard either on a radio station).

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey what do you think about this?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESIvlv8flA"]Ravens & Wolves[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yHG_dgbgHU"]Ravens & Wolves[/YOUTUBE]

First one did nothing for me. Liked the second one (so we transform).

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really? The lyrics in the second one seemed dumb to me.

The lyrics in the first one were better, but its also an example of where the music from it did not pull me in. The second one might not have has the best lyrics and the repetative parts of the lyrics detracted from it, but I liked the musical sound to it and I think the issue of selling out to succeed vs being true to yourself strikes a cord at a subconscious level. Parts of it reminded me of a strange cross between Green Day and Jonathan Coulton and some sounds from something else to go with them.

Burger King

This thread is veering off course into some sort of obscure musical taste thread. It's suppose to be about POP. Lemme steer it back into course.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0"]PSY - GANGNAM STYLE[/YOUTUBE]

I love this. It says FUUUUUU to everything!!! Let us bask in the sheer f*ckery of it all.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's the definition of pop anyway? I think the closest I'd ever come to listening to pop music in the actual sense of the word of an artist being internationally popular and played on mainstream radio is something like this:

Even then I'd argue that it's pretty original for its time. I don't think I really like simple and loud music with simple structures. Even when it comes to pop music I'm pretty good at weeding out the good and the bad.