• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Truth About Dark Knight Rises

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.dailycensored.com/2012/07/24/hollywoods-war-on-american-youth/

. “There is no money here to rob,” he says. “Then why are you people here?” comes the answer. At another point this leader urges his followers to “take control of our city… This (revolt) is the instrument of your liberation…. We come here… as liberators to return control of the city to its people…. We give Gotham back to you, the people.”

All of this sounds fine to those of us who object to corporate rule, until one realizes who is speaking these lines and to whom. It is the arch villain speaking to his followers. And these followers are nothing but a mob (in the most literal sense) of prison rioters and blood-thirsty dwellers of the nether, underground world. In other words, the alternative to the present society is pure and simple chaos and mob violence. As the leader says, “Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be spilled.”

W

WALMART

you cannot say "the" alternative, it is merely an "an" alternative.

i only say this because i do not know what else you want.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you cannot say "the" alternative, it is merely an "an" alternative.

i only say this because i do not know what else you want.

The critic I quoted is saying that the movie is only offering American youth two alternatives. So the alternative to X is Y, not Y and Z.

Sorry, I didn't offer the OP as quoted material because I expected everybody would click on the link to the review.

W

WALMART

Oh.... yeah, im really bad at reading articles. I had something different written out that now seems like it fit here better than i thought i would, ill try to revisit the thought.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
TDKR doesn't exactly portray most of the mega-wealthy as good people either. It's only through the entirely irresponsible and greed-based actions of a couple of very wealthy people that Bane has the opportunity (and, one could argue, the motivation) to do the things he does in the first place.

There's also a number of direct references to Dickens, in particular "A Tale of Two Cities," in the film (the "far better rest" line is directly repeated). Dickens had little sympathy for the aristocrats, and I don't think the film does either. The Dent Act seems to push for heavy prosecutions for minor crimes, not unlike the extreme punishments in "Tale." Even Bane's own origin is based on a horrific punishment inflicted upon him by more powerful people earlier in life for a crime that he may not have ever even committed (Talia and her mother were even more clearly victims of an unjust ruling class). The rich are untouched by serious law or real responsibility towards their fellow man, even Bruce's own company has given up on any philanthropic work while he was in his malaise. Meanwhile, Catwoman, though a thief, is clearly caring for other poor and downtrodden human beings, and has no legal means left to do so whatsoever.

Bane's revolution is characterized as damaging and unjust as well, but Tale of Two Cities makes a similar point: a violent and unreasonable response to a corrupt system is no good response.

Here's a quote from Tale that probably can be applied to some degree to the movie's message: "Crush humanity out of shape once more, under similar hammers, and it will twist itself into the same tortured forms. Sow the same seed of rapacious licence and oppression over again, and it will surely yield the same fruit according to its kind."

Lark

http://www.dailycensored.com/2012/07/24/hollywoods-war-on-american-youth/

. “There is no money here to rob,” he says. “Then why are you people here?” comes the answer. At another point this leader urges his followers to “take control of our city… This (revolt) is the instrument of your liberation…. We come here… as liberators to return control of the city to its people…. We give Gotham back to you, the people.”

All of this sounds fine to those of us who object to corporate rule, until one realizes who is speaking these lines and to whom. It is the arch villain speaking to his followers. And these followers are nothing but a mob (in the most literal sense) of prison rioters and blood-thirsty dwellers of the nether, underground world. In other words, the alternative to the present society is pure and simple chaos and mob violence. As the leader says, “Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be spilled.”

So what you think that the bad guys in the movie are occupy wall st?

If they are, what difference does it make? Are you suggesting that they really are like that and this is the "truth" of the title of the thread or are you suggesting that the movie has a secret Hayek and Mise propaganda purpose and that is the "truth"?

If you do think it is a true reflection of occupy wall st. or anti-capitalism, I just think that it illustrates populism and anti-capitalism have many forms, including some of them chaotic, this is what the "political" element of Fight Club that everyone raved about for a short time was, although there was machismo and primitivism in that particular mix too.

To be honest the chaotic and high dependent nature of a lot of individuals in politically left wing groups or scenes is what began my journey out of those particular woods, just knowing those individuals and seeing what they did with their lives and in their groups and often to their closest associates convinced me that whatever legitimacy their claims about the status quo had that they were not and could not be a better alternative to it, it wasnt evident as a lived reality in their lives. So it seemed like so much infantile protest or regression to infantile thinking and behaviour.

Their pundits are frequently great, I love to read Chomsky, but as an organised movement or individuals who exhibit or display the change they want to see in the world, they fail, you have to go aways back to discover a left wing which wasnt like this. Probably predating the second world war.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what you think that the bad guys in the movie are occupy wall st?

If they are, what difference does it make? Are you suggesting that they really are like that and this is the "truth" of the title of the thread or are you suggesting that the movie has a secret Hayek and Mise propaganda purpose and that is the "truth"?

If you do think it is a true reflection of occupy wall st. or anti-capitalism, I just think that it illustrates populism and anti-capitalism have many forms, including some of them chaotic, this is what the "political" element of Fight Club that everyone raved about for a short time was, although there was machismo and primitivism in that particular mix too.

To be honest the chaotic and high dependent nature of a lot of individuals in politically left wing groups or scenes is what began my journey out of those particular woods, just knowing those individuals and seeing what they did with their lives and in their groups and often to their closest associates convinced me that whatever legitimacy their claims about the status quo had that they were not and could not be a better alternative to it, it wasnt evident as a lived reality in their lives. So it seemed like so much infantile protest or regression to infantile thinking and behaviour.

Their pundits are frequently great, I love to read Chomsky, but as an organised movement or individuals who exhibit or display the change they want to see in the world, they fail, you have to go aways back to discover a left wing which wasnt like this. Probably predating the second world war.

It worries me that the hippies are winning. Because the hippies have nothing good to offer. And at least the 1 percenters throw the rest of us a teensy-weensy piece of what they enjoy. The hippies won't even have a bone to throw.

Lark

It worries me that the hippies are winning. Because the hippies have nothing good to offer. And at least the 1 percenters throw the rest of us a teensy-weensy piece of what they enjoy. The hippies won't even have a bone to throw.

I dont think that either shituation is defensible.