• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're doing a back-to-back with Prometheus later.

Depending on how retro you want to be, maybe you could throw in the original Dune movie and make it a turkey 3-some.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depending on how retro you want to be, maybe you could throw in the original Dune movie and make it a turkey 3-some.

Ah, Dune. David Lynch imagery, and Patrick Stewart in a support role: I am content.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Do what you want; I'm watching this over and over for the rest of the night:

Dammit--why didn't I pick up Amazing Spider-Man instead?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do what you want; I'm watching this over and over for the rest of the night:

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Dammit--why didn't I pick up Amazing Spider-Man instead?

I did. :smile:

Aside from the whole "OMG let's slide the cranes around because Spiderman is cool and saved my kid!" moment, it was pretty good... maybe because it never claimed to be more.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[Derpy dee derp, spoilers, derp]

It didn't disappoint, in the sense that it was what I expected it to be, meaning inferior to the previous two films. I actually have all of Nolan's films and I'd say this is the worst one he and his brother wrote. They just happen to be so damn good that I still thought this was a good movie overall. I did find myself heckling many events of the film. Bruce's recovery from Bane's assault in the span of 5 months was ludicrous. Why didn't Talia sabotage the entire police operation on the island at any one of the many chances she had? How could Bruce possibly survive the event with the bomb? Why have that stupid Robin reference at the end? And I reject Selena Kyle as I reject any character that does stealth, acrobatics, and hand-to-hand combat in high heels.

Sure, the previous two Batman films and every Christopher Nolan film has stuff that's dubious, and I think Nolan is one of the greatest salesmen of bullshit out there. He just bit off more than he could chew with this one, especially because I was asking so many whys, not just hows.

Here's the funny thing for me, though. If you did back into this forum's archives, you'll find a Dark Knight topic shortly after the film came out where everyone was speculating who would be the next villain, and I said that the only remaining character that I thought was really viable was Bane. I'm going to pat myself on the back for that one, but this film certainly didn't turn out like what I had in mind when I made that suggestion. I was thinking of a story that came closer to Bane's original comic run, and something that played more off of moral ambiguity rather than an attempt to drum up black-and-whitness even harder than The Dark Knight.

I suppose that's the broad problem I have with the film. I felt like The Dark Knight was a different meditation than Batman Begins, but I didn't feel this film was a different meditation from The Dark Knight. I felt like it just attempted the same thing but more so, which was impossible, so it ended up being too over-the-top.

Anyhow, for as long as the movie was in development, I was waiting for it to get out of the way so I could see what Nolan's next non-Batman film would be. :cheese:

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Here's the funny thing for me, though. If you did back into this forum's archives, you'll find a Dark Knight topic shortly after the film came out where everyone was speculating who would be the next villain, and I said that the only remaining character that I thought was really viable was Bane. I'm going to pat myself on the back for that one, but this film certainly didn't turn out like what I had in mind when I made that suggestion. I was thinking of a story that came closer to Bane's original comic run, and something that played more off of moral ambiguity than an attempt to drum up black-and-whitness even hard than The Dark Knight.

What you mentioned of moral ambiguity is my favorite aspect of The Dark Knight. And I believe this is why it hit a chord among moviegoers across the globe (that and The Joker). People don't want to be bullshitted by the Hollywood machine. I was in awe that a mainstream motion picture could ever be this ballsy and get away with it to boot. It was an incredibly bleak and nihilistic mirror of modern society and it was and continues to be very much needed for the time we live in.

TDKR was pedestrian to the bone. It was filled with predictable cliches, one-dimensional characters and all of the happy, sappy feel-good bullshit that runs amok in contemporary fare. It also contradicts and effortlessly shoots down the philosophical/intellectual ideas present in its predecessor. With that said, it is fairly enjoyable when you shut your brain off and simply watch it.

Nonetheless, Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is too good for that.

http://screenrant.com/dark-knight-rises-vs-the-dark-knight-comparison/

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Picked this up today.

photood.jpg

KDude

This has probably been said a hundred times, but the underlying story seemed like an apology for conservative antics (as if Batman's actions in the 2nd film weren't already illustrative of that.. ie the homeland security device that had him spying on citizens). It might be accurate to the comics though. What I didn't like is that Bane had a pretty cool message, but Nolan is trying to say people with messages like this are deceptive, and ultimately hiding a ticking timebomb somewhere to destroy all of society. The "hero" is the elitist richboy of status quo and order, who alone can keep the class structure in check. And at the end, he gets the hot lower class girl to boot.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
This has probably been said a hundred times, but the underlying story seemed like an apology for conservative antics (as if Batman's actions in the 2nd film weren't already illustrative of that.. ie the homeland security device that had him spying on citizens). It might be accurate to the comics though.

Who else is gonna clean the toilets?

What I didn't like is that Bane had a pretty cool message, but Nolan is trying to say people with messages like this are deceptive, and ultimately hiding a ticking timebomb somewhere to destroy all of society. The "hero" is the elitist richboy of status quo and order, who alone can keep the class structure in check. And at the end, he gets the hot lower class girl to boot.

Agreed. Strip it all away and TDKR really is just another "Aryan Savior" tale.
They even white-washed Bane (who was originally South American).

I'll present a radical idea: White people are the devil.
And to be extra-incendiary, success increases the evilness tenfold.

When the world is in disarray white people (RICH white people) exploit for profit.
...Did Gotham City not have a 9/11 suppository shoved firmly up its ass during TDK?

Who's the real villain? 'Cause in the real world it ain't The Joker.

As per Nolan, disenfranchised minorities are responsible for the decline of society.

Fuck that guy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really have no idea what Nolan was trying to say in this movie, as it seems to run counter to any prior movie he's made and is shallow as some of the others have been deep.

It's like he was on drugs when he made it, or even momentarily possessed.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This has probably been said a hundred times, but the underlying story seemed like an apology for conservative antics (as if Batman's actions in the 2nd film weren't already illustrative of that.. ie the homeland security device that had him spying on citizens). It might be accurate to the comics though. What I didn't like is that Bane had a pretty cool message, but Nolan is trying to say people with messages like this are deceptive, and ultimately hiding a ticking timebomb somewhere to destroy all of society. The "hero" is the elitist richboy of status quo and order, who alone can keep the class structure in check. And at the end, he gets the hot lower class girl to boot.

There is no underlying story, it's just predictable Hollywood pap for babies.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
^Yeah. Which was why it was disappointing.
TDK was one of the most audacious blockbusters ever made.

TDK-R was made "by the book" and specific formula.

ETA: 666th post. Eat it, bitches.

Last edited:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really have no idea what Nolan was trying to say in this movie, as it seems to run counter to any prior movie he's made and is shallow as some of the others have been deep.

It's like he was on drugs when he made it, or even momentarily possessed.

It was much simpler than that. He was under immense pressure to make a third film he probably didn't actually intend to make.