• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saw it, enjoyed it. It's a wrap up movie, I liked the first two better. The intro scene with the plane hi-jack seemed overly complicated. There has to be an easier way.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I was bored through most of this one, and I really liked the last one. This one was too talky and too long. Bane sounded like someone doing an over-the-top Sean Connery impression, and wasn't engaging enough as a villain. I just didn't care about him one way or another, and kind of wanted him to shut up. Anne Hathaway did a fine job, but I don't think she's a natural for this type of role. I did like this take on Catwoman, though. Haaaaaaated Marion Cotillard's character and portrayal. I was just underwhelmed by the whole thing, and kept checking my watch the last 45 minutes or so.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haaaaaaated Marion Cotillard's character and portrayal.

Yeah, I didn't care for the character, didn't trust her (or maybe that was leftover from Inception). Had no idea why she was there, other than to resolve certain plot holes and perhaps be romantic competition for Catwoman. Kind of a waste.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I didn't care for the character, didn't trust her (or maybe that was leftover from Inception). Had no idea why she was there, other than to resolve certain plot holes and perhaps be romantic competition for Catwoman. Kind of a waste.

Well, that is because the entire movie was an inception, starting from when he caught the catwoman robbing his safe...

He was motivated to come out of his life of self-imposed isolation, work through his fears of not being good enough at Batman, to the end of the story where everything was resolved for him and he no longer felt responsibile for the world, thus permitting him to move forward in hope and embrace the happiness he had always been denying himself out of the sense of loss of his parents.

Mal was the spoiler, but he managed to move beyond it.

Whether or not the end is real of course depends on whether you prefer Brazil's "Love Conquers All" ending or the darker, truer one.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked the first two better.

I thought the dark knioght rises was the second movie. Trying to find the one I missed on IMDB but not successful. Can someone explain? :(

Ah, wait, the first one is named Batman Begins. Not the Dark Knight something. I haven't actually seen that one. >.>

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the dark knioght rises was the second movie. Trying to find the one I missed on IMDB but not successful. Can someone explain? :(

Ah, wait, the first one is named Batman Begins. Not the Dark Knight something. I haven't actually seen that one. >.>

Yeah, I did not like the titling. The second and third movies have names that are too similar, and not all like the first. It makes my editor pen want to come out!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They should've introduced Mal in the second movie.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They should've introduced Mal in the second movie.

Totally agree.

Instead, we just got the "super-improved Mal+" on this forum.
...But he probably doesn't have nearly as nice legs.

I assume they didn't pull Mal into the second movie because Nolan never even thought of the idea for this one until after he had done work on Inception.

And they might have titled the first movie differently as well, but they got the ideas of how to hook the movies together after the movie was finished.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

You know how the Cillian Murphy/Scarecrow character has bit parts in both Dark Knight and Rises? He's a major character in the first one. Also, there's a brief flashback with Liam Neeson and a few references to his character in the most recent movie, and he's also a more prominent character in the first one.

Honestly, a lot of the third one makes more sense in relation to the first movie, and some of the stuff in the second.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find myself cooling on the film, the opposite of Inception.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find myself cooling on the film, the opposite of Inception.
I came out of tdkr more positive than where i am now as well.

I always loved inception, and tdk just gets better and better.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I came out of tdkr more positive than where i am now as well.

I always loved inception, and tdk just gets better and better.

Inception suffers from "do it for the children!" that I thought was unearned. It's more blatantly manipulative than any of the Batman movies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Inception suffers from "do it for the children!" that I thought was unearned. It's more blatantly manipulative than any of the Batman movies.

For some reason that seemed realistic to me -- people putting pressure on him for the kids. I mean, manipulative? Yes, I suppose... but I've had those very exact experience and pressures in life, and I understand what it means to be a parent and having to pit my love for my kids and wanting to make their lives easier against doing what I think is best in the long term. I didn't feel like those impulses from Michael Caine to Cobb, and from Cobb to Mal, and vice versa, etc., were unwarranted -- they are a HUGE part of what being a parent is, and Cobb wants to get back to his kids. That's what made the movie good to me. It wasn't just for me, it's because he loved his children.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For some reason that seemed realistic to me -- people putting pressure on him for the kids. I mean, manipulative? Yes, I suppose... but I've had those very exact experience and pressures in life, and I understand what it means to be a parent and having to pit my love for my kids and wanting to make their lives easier against doing what I think is best in the long term. I didn't feel like those impulses from Michael Caine to Cobb, and from Cobb to Mal, and vice versa, etc., were unwarranted -- they are a HUGE part of what being a parent is, and Cobb wants to get back to his kids. That's what made the movie good to me. It wasn't just for me, it's because he loved his children.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The kids didn't inspire any pathos, they were just things. Did his kids even exist? I thought the big reveal would be that Mal killed the kids before she killed herself. And then Leo would wake up on Shutter Island under the care of Dr. Jonathon Crane.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The kids didn't inspire any pathos, they were just things. Did his kids even exist? I thought the big reveal would be that Mal killed the kids before she killed herself. And then Leo would wake up on Shutter Island under the care of Dr. Jonathon Crane.

I guess that wasn't the movie he wanted to tell... kind of like your advice to those who didn't like TDKR.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess that wasn't the movie he wanted to tell... kind of like your advice to those who didn't like TDKR.

I think a single flashback scene with the children would've won me over. Too much Mal.

R

Riva

I stopped lucid dreaming after watching the Inception.

I still wonder sometimes whether I am dreaming.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a single flashback scene with the children would've won me over. Too much Mal.

It would have been impossible to do without showing their faces, and pointless to do if he didn't.