• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

KDude

Tom Hardy is a great actor.. Everything I see him in is good. I'm sure this will be the same. I don't know about Bane killing Batman though. He's not an intelligent villain.. He's basically a mix of PCP and steroid addict. In the comics, he's the closest who ever did it though. He broke Batman's back. I think more of the intelligence will come from Catwoman in this story.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Actually, Bane is one of Batman's most intelligent villains.
He is a mastermind (INTJ) and in the comics he won by exhausting Bats emotionally and physically.

Then he infiltrated the Batcave and pounded the poor bastard into pudding.

Oh, and Tom Hardy is my boy. Coolest cat around.

KDude

They got the perfect guy to play the part. Assuming the writing is as good.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Perfect, my ass.

Bane is supposed to be HUGE.
I'm talking Incredible Hulk size.

Tom Hardy is only...5'6"? 5'7"?
Goddamn midget Bane, man.

But still. Good actor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One thing that I've been wondering is this: What does Bane represent thematically?

The Joker was chaos incarnate.
Scarecrow was Fear.

What is Bane's tie-in theme?

Steroid abuse.

I really hope this movie goes where I think it will.
If it isn't as cerebral or ballsy as The Dark Knight, I'll be disappointed.

The word in the review blurbs I've seen all over RT is that it is as much as possibly could be, aside from the fact that Bane is much more direct whereas the Joker was more provocative in a sense. Many of the reviews talked about arcs, and I've seen a lot of references back to Batman Begins, where apparently a lot of connections have been made.

Otherwise, I've been avoiding the spoilers. I really don't want to know, ahead of time.

And geez, I won't be able to drink anything much of the morning -- the thing is running longer than the original Avatar cut, I don't want to be running to the bathroom during the climax.

KDude

Perfect, my ass.

Bane is supposed to be HUGE.
I'm talking Incredible Hulk size.

Tom Hardy is only...5'6"? 5'7"?
Goddamn midget Bane, man.

But still. Good actor.

There are no musclehead actors with the same acting chops and intensity. So that's what I mean.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought he would realize his life was empty and meaningless without God, convert to Mormonism, the spirit would move upon Bane, and they could be elder twins going door to door in Gotham while Catwoman gives up thievery to become a nun.

However, since Kirk Cameron wasn't available to play Bruce wayne this time out, I'm just figuring Bats is going to die saving Gotham. It makes the most sense.

... Rotten Tomatoes had a high 90's ranking earlier today for it; I have a tentative feeling of anticipation. This MIGHT be my best movie experience of the summer... I hope.

Batman will die, but Bruce Wayne will live.

KDude

Bullshit.
Vin Diesel.

Watch The Fast and the Furious if you don't believe me.

lol No thanks. He's ok though, but he's "cool". Not intense. The main running theme in these movies is Fear and/or Batman utilizing Fear to his own ends. The other villains had their own take on it too. It's like an arms race of who can produce fear. Bane is like the animalistic, nightmarish version of fear. Vin Diesel would just mumble his way through that.

As for Hardy, he's from the Royal Shakespeare company. He made Wuthering Heights fucking cool. He gets compared more to Gary Oldman when he was young. Vin Diesel isn't even the same kind of actor.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Actually, Bane is one of Batman's most intelligent villains.
He is a mastermind (INTJ) and in the comics he won by exhausting Bats emotionally and physically.

Then he infiltrated the Batcave and pounded the poor bastard into pudding.

Oh, and Tom Hardy is my boy. Coolest cat around.

Bane is very intelligent. But considering about 90% of Batman's foes are probably technically geniuses, so among the rogues gallery his IQ probably rounds out to about average (Riddler takes the top spot, probably Batman's only enemy who is definitely smarter than Batman is).

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Bane is very intelligent. But considering about 90% of Batman's foes are probably technically geniuses, so among the rogues gallery his IQ probably rounds out to about average (Riddler takes the top spot, probably Batman's only enemy who is definitely smarter than Batman is).

What about Mr. Freeze?
Where does he round out?

He completely pWns my ass in Arkham City.
Jerk.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Bane figured out Batman's true identity, the Riddler didn't.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
It's not really hard to deduce Batman's identity.
Not many of us have direct access or the funds to acquire futuristic Bat-jets that can fly into outer space.

But a good point, nonetheless.
The Riddler has always been a bit of a wanker to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Batman will die, but Bruce Wayne will live.

I heard Bane will pull off Batman's head, proving once and for all that he is a robot, and club Bruce Wayne to death with it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lAs for Hardy, he's from the Royal Shakespeare company. He made Wuthering Heights fucking cool. He gets compared more to Gary Oldman when he was young. Vin Diesel isn't even the same kind of actor.

Speaking of Oldman, I love him as Commissioner Gordon. Considering the way he's chewed up the scenery in some of his movies, he does a very understated portrayal and comes off as just a really decent, average guy who does his best with what he has to work with. He's just very real and accessible.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Bane figured out Batman's true identity, the Riddler didn't.

Except that time he did (specifically, in Hush). Eventually Batman neutralized the threat by playing on Riddler's neuroses: Riddler could never willingly give away the answer to the greatest riddle of all. He might have gotten some kind of amnesia later, I don't remember.

Additionally, a lot of Batman's more intelligent villains don't have any interest in his real identity. To people like Freeze, Batman's a nuisance, not a goal. Others, like Scarecrow or Joker, don't actually care about who he is, they are only interested in the Batman as the Batman (in the Joker's case, he probably rightly asserts Batman is his true identity). Hugo Stange and Ra's Al Ghul are a couple other villains who know Batman's secret.

Bane's no dunce, though I do consider him a boring Batman villain thematically. Most others have some kind of clear point of reference that relate to the Batman's mind (to me, a lot of Batman's villains represent baggage, fears or insecurities he personally possesses, or in the Joker's case an absolute psychological shadow, even those that aren't that at least have empathetic and interesting motivations like Freeze or Harley Quinn), while Bane's just a pretty by the numbers bad guy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Critic Faces Death Threads over Bad Dark Knight Rises Review.

As though I needed any more reason to hate this series.

Well, from the article:

The site disabled user comments on reviews Tuesday after Christy Lemire of The Associated Press and Hollywood & Fine's Marshall Fine attracted negative and threatening comments.

Fine wrote in his review that "anyone forecasting serious Oscar love for this lumpish, tedious film has been smoking too much of that potent, prescription California weed."

I can't say it was a concilatory review, by any means -- rather insulting for a movie no one has even seen (except for some critics) yet, and as inflammatory as beating hungry pitbulls over the head with meat hammers.

It's not like Fine didn't know what he was saying or the effect it would have on some, he seemed to go out of his way to be an ass.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Well, from the article:

I can't say it was a concilatory review, by any means -- rather insulting for a movie no one has even seen (except for some critics) yet, and as inflammatory as beating hungry pitbulls over the head with meat hammers.

It's not like Fine didn't know what he was saying or the effect it would have on some, he seemed to go out of his way to be an ass.

What perverse logic would dictate that he ought to be conciliatory at all?