• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How far does poetic license go before it disrupts the audience's experience?

I mean, yes, you're right within reason; but the sloppier the creative staff gets, the worse the response might be and the more ineffective the work in question might be.

Also, poetic license suggests there is some "method to the madness" -- like up above, when I discussed Face/Off, it was clear the director was making choices to sacrifice some things for a more emotional response from the audience. (like the gist about Archer coming home with the kid and just taking him in, and the family not being at the hospital.... the scene of him coming home is emotionally evocative in a way that the "realistic version" would not have been, and Lee opted for the emotional card).

It's up to you whether or not you want to let some plot holes distract you, or just say, "Hey, it's Batman, the Dark Knight. He's equal to all things, even making his way back into Gotham City after all the bridges in were bombed. Although we're not told how he managed it..."

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I liked everything about the movie except that we got robbed out of a third villan, and Bane's voice was ridiculous.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's up to you whether or not you want to let some plot holes distract you, or just say, "Hey, it's Batman, the Dark Knight. He's equal to all things, even making his way back into Gotham City after all the bridges in were bombed. Although we're not told how he managed it..."

Well, it's not "up to me." I mean, that's like saying you can be attracted to someone who doesn't attract you or that you can still believe in a religion you don't believe in. At some point, a person can't suspend disbelief anymore even if they'd like to do so.

As far as I go specifically, there are items you mention that didn't really bother me at all, that I ignored. (Like Bruce showing back up in Gotham "somehow" and getting from the prison (wherever it was) back to the area without any resources at hand "somehow". It's like, "yeah, ok.") I think the Bat on the roof bothered me more, because it seemed more likely that Bane would find it (as he knew of its existence) or someone else would find it. But I still kind of overlooked it before it wasn't a huge deal.

I think the other factor is that, simply, TOO many small things can also combine to ruin the experience, vs one really big thing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's not "up to me." I mean, that's like saying you can be attracted to someone who doesn't attract you or that you can still believe in a religion you don't believe in. At some point, a person can't suspend disbelief anymore even if they'd like to do so.

As far as I go specifically, there are items you mention that didn't really bother me at all, that I ignored. (Like Bruce showing back up in Gotham "somehow" and getting from the prison (wherever it was) back to the area without any resources at hand "somehow". It's like, "yeah, ok.") I think the Bat on the roof bothered me more, because it seemed more likely that Bane would find it (as he knew of its existence) or someone else would find it. But I still kind of overlooked it before it wasn't a huge deal.

I think the other factor is that, simply, TOO many small things can also combine to ruin the experience, vs one really big thing.

That's because you're not a fan-boy/girl.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I tend to excuse most of what we're calling plot holes (which, let's face it, aren't really plot holes in the truest sense - they're just parts of the story that aren't shown in order to keep the movie under 16 hours) simply because it's a Batman movie. It's not a documentary and it's not a dramatic treatment of an historical event. As long as a popcorn movie has internal logic, it's fine. I realize the fanboys will get their back up at the idea that these movies are popcorn movies, but they are.

Following this line of thought, the internal logic seems strong to me based on what the characters were able to accomplish. For instance, Bruce Wayne has managed to train for the League of Shadows, create the Batcave, get armed by Lucious Fox, keep his identity secret, and do all his Batman shit. I'm going to just go ahead and assume that unusually strong powers of recuperation, sufficiently hiding the Bat, ejecting and surviving the explosion, and getting himself from India to Gotham fall within his skill set. Likewise, with all that Bane and Talia accomplished, I'm inclined to believe they have the wherewithal to find out Batman's identity. The only revelation that bothered me in the movie was John Blake's ability to determine that Bruce Wayne was Batman. "Good detective" doesn't give the character enough credibility to accomplish this.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
So...I'm supposed to see this again on Saturday at the nation's capital. In IMAX.
But I think I'll just go to zoo instead. I always wanted to see a giraffe up close.

If I'm lucky the gorillas will put on a show, if they're not feeling timid that day.

*shrugs*

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So...I'm supposed to see this again on Saturday at the nation's capital. In IMAX.
But I think I'll just go to zoo instead. I always wanted to see a giraffe up close.

If I'm lucky the gorillas will put on a show, if they're not feeling timid that day.

*shrugs*

There are no giraffes at the National Zoo.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are no giraffes at the National Zoo.

I had a lousy time when I was at the Zoo a few months back. There is a lot of stuff under construction.

The big cats were out and the lion did his stuff, but I didn't see giraffes either, and the elephant(s) managed to always be at the other end of their assigned area.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't see giraffes either

They don't have any.

Some days the National Zoo is great. Last time about a month ago we saw the pandas feed and the tigers were growling. Other times you don't see dick. Not even ape dick.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They don't have any.

Some days the National Zoo is great. Last time about a month ago we saw the pandas feed and the tigers were growling. Other times you don't see dick. Not even ape dick.

Yeah. The funnest time I had was a few years ago, when the orangutan (sp?) was swinging around on the overheads moving from one area to the other, and the little golden monkeys were around, and the otters were frolicking. This was before they were rebuilding the elephant and giraffe areas.

The hippo came over that day and was scrubbing his teeth with the high-pressure water faucet, splashing everyone nearby who was watching him. I got a few pictures of him doing that, it was pretty cool.

When I saw the pandas last year, they were all sleeping in their pens inside. The one was sleeping with legs wide open and looked like he had gonads the size of softballs.

To tie this into Batman, now I'm recalling one of the best scenes from Batman Returns: All those little penguins running down the street with rockets strapped to their foreheads.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Smithsonian museums. Several are showing TDKR in true IMAX!

Plus it is way hot out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh...
Holocaust museum?
Laser tag?
White-water rafting?