• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just made up a plot-summary of the movie.

Bane punches Batman until he falls down.
Batman eventually gets back up and punches Bane until he falls down.
Batman saves Gotham City.

The end.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. Fables is damned good, and there's others out there nowadays.

Not sure about Batman, though.

This scene is really, REALLY out of character for both of them. Is it that comics are out of fresh ideas so they have to revert to silliness?

dcmoment57b.jpg

I'll admit that I'm taking it to seriously. And it is a funny scene. It's just so out of place.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
This scene is really, REALLY out of character for both of them. Is it that comics are out of fresh ideas so they have to revert to silliness?

dcmoment57b.jpg

I'll admit that I'm taking it to seriously. And it is a funny scene. It's just so out of place.

Dude, that's one of the greatest Batman stories ever told. Have you ever read it?
And the final page was what made it so great. There was no other way to end the tale.

Within the context, it works better than any other interaction the two characters have ever had.
The Killing Joke suggested that both Batman and The Joker were on a destructive collision course where only one could survive.

The final panels are deliberately ambiguous, suggesting that Batman finally crossed the line.
There is a lot of gravitas with this one. I'd suggest reading it (but beware--it is shockingly violent).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude, that's one of the greatest Batman stories ever told. Have you ever read it?
And the final page was what made it so great. There was no other way to end the tale.

Within the context, it works better than any other interaction the two characters have ever had.
The Killing Joke suggested that both Batman and The Joker were on a destructive collision course where only one could survive.

The final panels are deliberately ambiguous, suggesting that Batman finally crossed the line.
There is a lot of gravitas with this one. I'd suggest reading it (but beware--it is shockingly violent).

I'll rest satisfied with your kind explanation, thanks.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
, what do you think of this idea now that you've seen the movie?

I think I already gave my opinion of the ending elsewhere in this thread.

Funny, when I read it in my early 20's for the first time, it seemed like the inevitable closing to the story. I didn't find it out of place at all.

I just made up a plot-summary of the movie.

Bane punches Batman until he falls down.
Batman eventually gets back up and punches Bane until he falls down.
Batman saves Gotham City.

The end.

Of course.
It's in the title, after all: "The dark Knight Rises"
And why do we fall down after Bane beats the snot out of us?
So that we can learn to stand back up and beat the snot out of Bane.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I already gave my opinion of the ending elsewhere in this thread.

Funny, when I read it in my early 20's for the first time, it seemed like the inevitable closing to the story. I didn't find it out of place at all.

Of course.
It's in the title, after all: "The dark Knight Rises"
And why do we fall down after Bane beats the snot out of us?
So that we can learn to stand back up and beat the snot out of Bane.

Ohhh, so he's like an older brother to Batman. Younger brother eventually grows up and gets back at older brother for the years of abuse.

I've just read a plot synopsis of "The Killing Joke." Perhaps it didn't do the tale justice? I'm just saying that it's out of character for Batman to laugh, ever, at least when in crusader form. Or maybe I'm still not getting it.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I've just read a plot synopsis of "The Killing Joke." Perhaps it didn't do the tale justice? I'm just saying that it's out of character for Batman to laugh, ever, at least when in crusader form. Or maybe I'm still not getting it.

You'll have to read the story to get it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But does it have anything to do with my prediction?

what are you fishing for? That I think you should write horoscopes? the "prediction" was one of a few expected scenarios. (Batman and Bruce die, Batman lives and Bruce lives, Batman lives and Bruce dies, Bruce lives and Batman dies.) Would you like a medal?

The first few days of discussion covered whether the ending as written made sense and/or was consistent with the established character.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what are you fishing for? That I think you should write horoscopes? the "prediction" was one of a few expected scenarios. (Batman and Bruce die, Batman lives and Bruce lives, Batman lives and Bruce dies, Bruce lives and Batman dies.) Would you like a medal?

It wouldn't hurt.

The first few days of discussion covered whether the ending as written made sense and/or was consistent with the established character.

I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread, obviously. But then I have my own concerns about the ending. Mainly: why was there a timer on the bomb but no tension build-up leading to it's detonation? Why did that entire last scene have to feel like they were just wrapping up the movie. Ok, they got Bane packaged up - but don't forget to put a bow on! The bomb, as it turns out, was just a MacGuffin. It gives the villain something to do. This is made obvious just before the final fight, where Bane says something like "did you come to save your city?" and Batman replies, "no, I came to stop you."

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was part of the plot. Why did the story include that element? You can make some educated guesses, I'm sure.

But honestly, the kids were symbolic. The movie pov was Cobb.

No, why was that element so badly done? The fact you basically never see them and only hear them on the phone makes one (in a movie where you question reality) wildly speculate as to the reasons it was done that way. And then it turns out there was no real reason to do it like that. Cobb had plenty of scenes with Mal before her death, why not the kids? WHAT IS NOLAN HIDING FROM US??? Oh wait, nothing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, why was that element so badly done? The fact you basically never see them and only hear them on the phone makes one (in a movie where you question reality) wildly speculate as to the reasons it was done that way. And then it turns out there was no real reason to do it like that. Cobb had plenty of scenes with Mal before her death, why not the kids? WHAT IS NOLAN HIDING FROM US??? Oh wait, nothing.

I didn't think it was badly done at all, and I just rewatched the movie this morning. I still don't really understand what your objection is.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because it is the whole setup: they are things, MacGuffins if you will, which robs them of any emotional resonance.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because it is the whole setup: they are things, MacGuffins if you will, which robs them of any emotional resonance.

Sorry it didn't work for you; i found it very powerful, emotionally.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry it didn't work for you; i found it very powerful, emotionally.

Kids and animals are cheap manipulations, if a filmmaker wishes to use them (and some have effectively) I require more effort than Nolan gave.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I've adequately explained why he did what he did, and why i think your approach simply wasnt the movie he was making. If it ruined the movie for you, that's disappointing; but like you suggested regarding two recent movies i disliked because i thought they should have been different movies, that's just life.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe there is a difference between disagreeing with the movie made, and thinking a movie had the right idea but failed in execution.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Inception sucked.
Leonardo DiCaprio sucks.
The kid from 30 Rock needs to go away.

And fuck Nolan while I'm at it.

Darren Aronofsky and PT Anderson wipe the floor with that overhyped hack.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wrote this elsewhere:

Two of my favorite contemporary directors are Christopher Nolan and David Fincher. They both suffer from the same flaw, they sometimes neglect characterization. Nolan gets lost in intricate plots, Fincher leans on style/atmosphere. When they do that, I get annoyed!