• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scary vidya games

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Doom 3 freaks me the f out maybe because the enemies just don't die and come running at you so fast.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I remember Doom 3. I also remember the early versions of Quake were freaky as hell -- it was before that kind of look became popular in video games. Just really bad-ass monsters that were mishapen and twisted and coming at you out of the dark. I mean, ANY of those shooter games where lighting sucks, you're on edge, and stuff can leap at you out of the dark can be pretty harrowing.

I just bought all three F.E.A.R. games for a total of $11 on Steam (they were having a Halloween special). Alma looks pretty creepy.

There were some monsters in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 that looked pretty bad too, and those zombies just keep coming. Also, I played Torchlight II demo last night, and went into the "blink bonus board," and had no idea what was going on -- suddenly all these spiders came at me out of nowhere. It's a "look down from above" game so not as freaky as face to face camera angles, but I was surrounded by skitterish spiders and basically had to keep trying to slag them all while poisoning their lares. They just don't stop!

I do want to look at the Silent Hill games, after seeing the movie trailers. THe movies seem to be dreck, with wonderfully grotesque graphics... which might be effective in an actual game if not in the movies.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nice you got that special, I keep getting told f.e.a.r is good.

Silent hill is but I'd try play it with a sun lol.

Doom 3 freaks me the f out maybe because the enemies just don't die and come running at you so fast.

Epic, so this is good? I've heard too many reviews to decide on getting it

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nice you got that special, I keep getting told f.e.a.r is good.

Yeah, Samara from The Ring is a major creepfest for me, so I figured this would be right in line with that.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno how scary it's supposed to be, but I've been thinking about getting back into gaming after I heard about that game Demon Souls. Anyone here played it?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I dunno how scary it's supposed to be, but I've been thinking about getting back into gaming after I heard about that game Demon Souls. Anyone here played it?

I have and I love both Demon and Dark Souls (same company and all that jazz). I wouldn't consider it scary, just really intense.... Really, really, really intense. You should play it regardless.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I figured you people were gonna slam anyone who thought Doom 3 was scary for being wimps. But good thing you didn't. I thought it was scary, too. Walking down in dark corridors and those spiders with upside down heads popping out at you, or the babies with fly wings. Freaky and highly imaginative. I remember first playing the game how none of the guns had flashlights attached to them -- it was a separate weapon (a meelee weapon to be specific) -- despite the fact military grade weaponry usually has flashlights attached for dark areas, I felt this was a really effective way of keeping the gamer on his toes. And it had health packs, too!!! None of that run-and-hide shit!

Condemned: Criminal Origins, from Monolith, the creator of F.E.A.R., was really scary. Possibly the scariest game I've ever played. I loved the part where you find the dude in the locker and he pops out at you right when you're about to take a picture of him.

The "We Don't Go Through Ravenholm" level in Half-Life 2 was a little creepy, as well. But I normally don't find zombies creepy. And when they're an AI in video games, they're just annoying.

I do not understand what makes F.E.A.R. so scary...it didn't scare me at all, but it was a superb shooter at the time. Atmospheric settings, an amazing AI, and a compelling story. But sadly, the evil little girl angle never scares me when it's used.

F.E.A.R is aptly named.

You couldn't bother to put a video of F.3.A.R.? That was probably the scariest one of the lot. I'd like to see them make more F.E.A.R. games where the F.E.A.R. team investigates other paranormal occurrences. I think that, in many ways, it was a mistake to leech onto the Alma story for so long.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=294]The Ü[/MENTION]
It's psychologically scary when you realize that she could kill you in the blink of an eye any time she feels like it, but she doesn't - she's toying with you.

Why? Because

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Also Doom 3 gets more worrisome and 'You startled me. Don't do that!' *BOOM!* than scary. I routinely go around whacking stuff with the flash light. You play as a space marine armed to the teeth versus things that you can kill, after all. I think the most scary thing in that game is watching dudes get possessed and hearing the radio chatter as things literally go to hell all around the base.

It does have some "I'm not sure that it's a good idea to go in there, but I have to, so fuck it." moments though.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=294]The Ü[/MENTION]
It's psychologically scary when you realize that she could kill you in the blink of an eye any time she feels like it, but she doesn't - she's toying with you.

No it isn't.

Why? Because

To be honest, the more interesting angle is

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
No it isn't.
Sure it is. Twisted abominations get old after a while when you can just shoot them in the face. Alma is something you can possibly identify with while still realizing this shit isn't normal, and it's out of your control.

I grew up on the original Doom and Quake and thought it was all evil and scary back then but it's really just over the top. After a while it's like "Ohh, it's a 'scary monster'" *BOOM* "sit the fuck down."

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure it is. Twisted abominations get old after a while when you can just shoot them in the face. Alma is something you can possibly identify with while still realizing this shit isn't normal, and it's out of your control.

I grew up on the original Doom and Quake and thought it was all evil and scary back then but it's really just over the top. After a while it's like "Ohh, it's a 'scary monster'" *BOOM* "sit the fuck down."

The monsters themselves aren't scary, the idea that they might pop out at you at any moment is what creates, dare I say it, psychological tension.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think anything can be psychologically scary if you keep questioning it. They all look pretty good to me so far.

I would take a look at Which though.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The monsters themselves aren't scary, the idea that they might pop out at you at any moment is what creates, dare I say it, psychological tension.

Except they don't once you're genre savvy. They pop out exactly when they are supposed to and the game often telegraphs it for you by its design, even by the pickups you're getting beforehand.

This is why I like L4D. Stuff actually CAN pop out at any moment because the game has an AI called The Director which learns by how you play and will change stuff up. It randomizes the monster placement and the pickups that you can get.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was little, it was Resident Evil. Always freaking hated Nemesis. Scared the hell out of me when you first arrive at the police station and the monochrome colors popped up with a text telling you to run in the station or fight him. I mean, I was used to the original one... (never got far enough where a "boss" type monster would follow you literally almost everywhere.)

dead space. i couldn't finish the game. my anxiety was at a peak.

also, the original alien vs predator game for pc. its some scary shit when you're a marine being stalked by those fuckin aliens.

Played the game, scenery definitely set up the mood. The children's zone was..... -____-

The hallucinations were something also. I swear it felt like the grudge. And, well, the grudge scared the crap out of me too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too bad Dead Space wasn't a FPS. I probably would've had more interest in it if it was.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok FEAR was pretty good, it wont ever be like amnesia like people compare but it's a pretty balanced game. If the little girl doesn't do it then maybe the action (good imo) will.

And condemned does look pretty screwed. Maybe someone could give a synopsis.

edit: the two expansions might be worth playing too. Extraction Point has the same tricks but I thought it's still fresh, good thing you're in a hospital at the end. It kind of wears off in Perseus Mandate though.

Last edited:
W

WALMART

Mannequins in a dilapidated retail mall. Condemned was really cool, being an early next-gen title. I miss the beginning of a cycle's ingenuity. Now all we get are sequels and prequels.