• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scary vidya games

Lark

Sure it is. Twisted abominations get old after a while when you can just shoot them in the face. Alma is something you can possibly identify with while still realizing this shit isn't normal, and it's out of your control.

I grew up on the original Doom and Quake and thought it was all evil and scary back then but it's really just over the top. After a while it's like "Ohh, it's a 'scary monster'" *BOOM* "sit the fuck down."

I dont think those games were that scary, a lot of the time they were scary because you'd not seen them before but once you get used to it they arent that scary but the most scary thing about games like that then and now was usually that you'd get sniped or suddenly unleash a shit load of beasties before a save point and lose all your progress. Time wasted scares the crap out of me.

I always thought that Silent Hill was more scary than any of those games because some of the monsters were sexualised or grotesque and suggested mutilation or child abuse was in the town or games back story, it was also highly supernatural, so you know, you couldnt really predict what shit was coming next, how horrible it would be and even if you were to manage to beat the crap out of them with a pipe or something it may not even do you any good. Hell I remember the first game and it was shocking that you could apparently do what was right all the way through, beat all the baddies and still wind up with a finish in which you have to shoot dead your paranormally possessed daughter and then be left screaming as the world falls apart.

There's a lot of these games which operate in the same way that so called youtube "screamers" work, giving you jumps or trying to startle you but back stories like silent hill could really twist in your gut for a bit, the movie tied a lot of things up, while departing from the games story lines, well and captured that same scary element. I'm not going to watch the second one that's out now because I actually dont like the way in which the games have developed, and at one remove the silent hill mythos, with characters like pyramid head becoming more prominant, including endings to the more recent games in which the character you play can be transformed into pyramid head by a cult at the games conclusion.

Project Zero, is that the right title? The one with the shutter bug camera shots of ghosts, was a scary game too, for the same reasons as silent hill was, the investigation of sick shit rituals but also because you had to have the balls to look directly at the scary thing instead of just pointing and blasting a weapon or running away keeping it on the periphery of the screen.

Lark

Mannequins in a dilapidated retail mall. Condemned was really cool, being an early next-gen title. I miss the beginning of a cycle's ingenuity. Now all we get are sequels and prequels.

I agree with that, we used to talk about Doom clones back in the day because every game just copied the format which had been successful already but Doom itself was original when it first came out, Wolfenstein had been its precursor but it was too niche in a way to appeal with the whole spear of destiny mythos.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Silent Hill (the first one) used to scare me. Heavy fog, monsters making surprise attacks and then retreating to the fog where you can't see them, blood everywhere, horror movie background song, rusty door sounds that make you shiver before you even find out what's behind the door. :horor:
I didn't finish it, but I blame my noobness.

yea silent hill 1 and 2 were teh shit

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Awake by Kerry Turner

Not scary, per say, but So. Fucking. Creepy. (Especially so, for only being about a minute long!)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Awake by Kerry Turner

Not scary, per say, but So. Fucking. Creepy. (Especially so, for only being about a minute long!)

Here's me with that:
"I JUST FUCKING TYPED THAT!" *ragequit*

Oh. Now my computer is haunted.
Stop changing my letters, computer ghost!

Yeah ok, you're sorry. I get it. I'm trying to type here! Stop messing with my shit!

Edit: maybe this is creepy to other people, I don't know. I don't look down when I type so maybe it's lost on me because I'm immediately like 'WTF, stop yanking my chain' the moment it goes wrong.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This game creeped me out to no end, as a child.
[it still does/i still own it.. though most of the unsold/returned copies of this game are buried in the New Mexico desert because the game sucks that much]

It's the.. shuffling.
So upsetting. :cry:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
This game creeped me out to no end, as a child.
[it still does/i still own it.. though most of the unsold/returned copies of this game are buried in the New Mexico desert because the game sucks that much]

It's the.. shuffling.
So upsetting. :cry:

I totally had that game when it came out. I never did figure out the silly thing.

I can see how the shuffling might be disturbing, though.

And even knowing how to play it, it still looks like a really dumb and unfun game. Even for Atari games.

I mean Atari had Joust and Pitfall and Space Invaders and Asteroids and Breakout and Pac Man and countless others... How did they think that this piece of crap would stand up to that?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I totally had that game when it came out. I never did figure out the silly thing.

I can see how the shuffling might be disturbing, though.

And even knowing how to play it, it still looks like a really dumb and unfun game. Even for Atari games.

I mean Atari had Joust and Pitfall and Space Invaders and Asteroids and Breakout and Pac Man and countless others... How did they think that this piece of crap would stand up to that?

I blame Steven Spielburg.

tine5

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I just bet the Slender man himself in his own game of Slender. It's pretty good for an indie video game, especially when you get cornered in the evil rape dungeon in the middle of the map. I had some good scares.

Any good games that scare the ____ (out) of/off/in/on/around/amidst/underneath you?

Oh Slender is a scary game, I screamed when playing! (he just appeared from nowhere).
Amnesia and Panundrum are really good and quite creepy (a lot of people find them scary, but I use the Silent Hill tactic of running through the levels so I don't get too scared XD)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh Slender is a scary game, I screamed when playing! (he just appeared from nowhere).
Amnesia and Panundrum are really good and quite creepy (a lot of people find them scary, but I use the Silent Hill tactic of running through the levels so I don't get too scared XD)

Yeah Slendy is pretty creepy.

Honestly though I think what scares me the most is other players in FPS games. Some times I'm just not ready and suddenly I'm getting shot and I jump out of my skin and practically fling the mouse across the room.

Silent Hill is creepy but more of the deliciously creepy kind of creepy. After a while of playing it I was kind of like "Yeah. I could get used to this." It has that effect on me since it's so consistently warped, especially in the otherworld.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Silent Hill (the first one) used to scare me.

Ugggh, yes. The fog and lack of a soundtrack killed me. I never got past the first part due laziness, lol, but I remember seeing pictures of Pyramid Head and being really creeped out.

In Fable III, there are these demented little goblins called Hobbes that live in an underground cave. It's a passageway between towns, but I hate going through it because at a certain point, the air becomes a misty red and you enter into their lair. Its covered in rust and there are burlap sacks hanging from the ceilings soaked in blood.

Just the thought that, in-game, they're supposed to be the bodies of lost children - and the fact that there were so many of them - is/was really nerve-wracking :s

tine5

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah Slendy is pretty creepy.

Honestly though I think what scares me the most is other players in FPS games. Some times I'm just not ready and suddenly I'm getting shot and I jump out of my skin and practically fling the mouse across the room.

Silent Hill is creepy but more of the deliciously creepy kind of creepy. After a while of playing it I was kind of like "Yeah. I could get used to this." It has that effect on me since it's so consistently warped, especially in the otherworld.
Definitely! Towards the end of the game I was fine with it, but still didn't like a couple of the monsters (some are freaky). Amnesia's very good for tension (sneaking around because you can't kill the monsters, only avoid them).

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Also, Remember11. The bad ends... *shivers*

This here's one of the tracks, just to give you an idea.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely! Towards the end of the game I was fine with it, but still didn't like a couple of the monsters (some are freaky). Amnesia's very good for tension (sneaking around because you can't kill the monsters, only avoid them).

I've almost finished Call of Cthulhu, good game.

I've started FEAR 2 and it seems like it's trying to outdo FEAR lol, not bad though. Nice soundtrack, scary, yep

tine5

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've almost finished Call of Cthulhu, good game.

I've started FEAR 2 and it seems like it's trying to outdo FEAR lol, not bad though. Nice soundtrack, scary, yep

Sounds good! I was playing a Lovecraft horror board game (Arkham Horror) which is very good.