• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask me about video games.

T

The Iron Giant

I have been writing about video games, personally and professionally, for more than ten years. I'm also a collector, with a collection of more than three hundred titles, most in original packaging and some factory sealed. Ask me anything.

All on topic posts get rep!

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Going off the assumption that you play MMO games, what are some tactics you've used that have increased your odds of winning (or guarantee a win)?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
REP ME? SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!! :alttongue:

As someone who has been intellectually involved in the gaming industry, what is your take on the current evolution in the gaming world where games cater to console limitations and casual gaming?

My personal opinion is that I don't like how the industry is evolving..

Playing classic games like 7th guest or adventure games from sierra/lucasarts (like quest for glory and indiana jones: fate of atlantis) could mean you'd be stuck on a part for a long time, trying to figure out how to get further. You did not get hints, you were not always pointed in the right direction. You need to really focus on trying to find the solution. The difficulty of the games kept you involved and the reward for getting further after being stuck for some time was mostly psychological, but damn was it awesome when you figured something new out!

Games these days? Take Skyrim for example (since it is considered a very well made 'RPG'). Accept a quest to get an item, walk towards a mark on your map, enter a dungeon, follow the corridors to the end of the dungeon, pick up item, tada, next part of the storyline. There is no challenge or difficulty, the few puzzles in Skyrim (like the turning stones) are very easy to figure out. The psychological reward for exploring and advancing in games of today is quite minimal. Starting to look more like reading a book instead of interacting with a world.

And don't get me started on MMO's. I think WoW was on the right course with classic WoW as a pioneer, but every expansion it got a little worse instead of better. Grind rewards most effeciently. Challenge? Quests are super simple. Instances? Unless you group with people making mistakes it was simple. End game raiding? Muah, in classic where most stuff would kill you in one hit and everyone entered the raiding scene with UBRS blues, it was challenging. But that's no longer the case. It's easy to aquire epics.

What is the challenge in games these days?

And also, what happened to my favorite non-linear RPG genre turning all linear-ish. (Compared to games like fallout and arcanum) :(

PS, most important question: Do you know any games that I might like based on above post?

T

The Iron Giant

Going off the assumption that you play MMO games, what are some tactics you've used that have increased your odds of winning (or guarantee a win)?

The only mmo I play is Diablo III. Every online game I've played with strangers has been ruined by rampant cheating, so I only play with friends. I also don't play games with a subscription model, because I don't have the amount of time to commit to one title to make the money worth it.

The strategy I would use, if there was no chance of cheaters, would be practice and grinding. That has been my strategy in offline rpgs since the early 1980s, so I see no reason to change it now.

T

The Iron Giant

REP ME? SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!! :alttongue:

challenge.jpg

As someone who has been intellectually involved in the gaming industry, what is your take on the current evolution in the gaming world where games cater to console limitations and casual gaming?

I think it's a good thing. This is an industry that has been growing for years, but has often run up against a certain ceiling. Have a look at something like a PlayStation 2 controller and then something like a Wii Remote. Which one is less intimidating to someone who isn't already a gamer? It made for a wide range of software on the latter platform that wasn't meant for you or me, but the install base for Nintendo's Wii console is astonishingly large nonetheless, and millions of games like Just Dance have been sold.

Most of the arguments against this seem to imply that this shift takes games away from the existing games buying public, but I don't think it does. I think this brings more people into gaming who were either never here before or haven't been for a very long time, and some of them will want something deeper and more complex. Another argument I see is that existing games are suddenly much easier, and I refute that as well. Using another Wii game as an example, look at New Super Mario Bros Wii. That game featured SuperGuide, which let you effectively skip levels if you wanted to. One is not forced to use SuperGuide, so it is an added feature. Overall, games have *more* options in them now, not less.

As to games in general becoming easier over the years, I would argue that they are instead becoming less cheap. My favorite video game franchise is Castlevania. I have played every game in the series. The first Castlevania game on NES was very hard, not because the enemies were strong or fast or your weapons were weak, but because the controls and other design choices made memorization, instead of raw skill, the requirement for players. Nowadays, game design has been refined to where the controls are better, and as a result, games seem easier.

Playing classic games like 7th guest or adventure games from sierra/lucasarts (like quest for glory and indiana jones: fate of atlantis) could mean you'd be stuck on a part for a long time, trying to figure out how to get further. You did not get hints, you were not always pointed in the right direction. You need to really focus on trying to find the solution. The difficulty of the games kept you involved and the reward for getting further after being stuck for some time was mostly psychological, but damn was it awesome when you figured something new out!

I agree, but as I said above, these things are usually optional. And there are still games made with such old style sensibilities... they just don't sell as well, because it's not fun to be stuck in a game without making progress. There are many more games available at once today that there were back then, and I think most gamers do not like feeling frustrated, whether they grew up on that at all. The games that balance challenge and reward properly are the ones that feel addictive. I grew up on games like Mega Man and Castlevania, which were all about memorization and, to varying levels, rock-scissors-paper weapon concepts.

Games these days? Take Skyrim for example (since it is considered a very well made 'RPG'). Accept a quest to get an item, walk towards a mark on your map, enter a dungeon, follow the corridors to the end of the dungeon, pick up item, tada, next part of the storyline. There is no challenge or difficulty, the few puzzles in Skyrim (like the turning stones) are very easy to figure out. The psychological reward for exploring and advancing in games of today is quite minimal. Starting to look more like reading a book instead of interacting with a world.

I haven't played Skyrim, but I agree that games have more handholding than they did. I think many gamers demand more content and better graphics in games for less money, and I read somewhere not long ago that most people don't finish the video games they play. Games cost a lot more to make than they used to, and people are paying less for them, when adjusting for inflation. That kind of thing leads to sacrifice in design, and that means more guided and narrow gameplay designs. There are exceptions of course, where games like Torchlight have randomly generated areas and enemies that emit fountains of treasure to keep you plugging along, but the blockbusters are things like Skyrim.

And don't get me started on MMO's. I think WoW was on the right course with classic WoW as a pioneer, but every expansion it got a little worse instead of better. Grind rewards most effeciently. Challenge? Quests are super simple. Instances? Unless you group with people making mistakes it was simple. End game raiding? Muah, in classic where most stuff would kill you in one hit and everyone entered the raiding scene with UBRS blues, it was challenging. But that's no longer the case. It's easy to aquire epics.

I've watched others play WOW but I haven't played it myself. I don't do subscription gaming.

What is the challenge in games these days?

If you want a game that will kick your ass at every turn, play Diablo III and head on up to Inferno difficulty. If you're really crazy, make a hardcore character, and deal with knowing that you only get a single life. Demon's Souls is supposed to be quite challenging as well. The hard games are still around, and I would argue that there are more of them than there were, just by the fact that the industry is so much larger than it was. They may make up a smaller percentage of games now though.

And also, what happened to my favorite non-linear RPG genre turning all linear-ish. (Compared to games like fallout and arcanum) :(

That does bother me. I was excited to see more random stuff in Diablo III than in Diablo II (at least in terms of the quests) but I still feel irritated at how few of the dungeons seem to be randomly generated. Even Pikmin 2 had randomly generated dungeons.

PS, most important question: Do you know any games that I might like based on above post?

I guess the ones I mentioned here work. :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you want a game that will kick your ass at every turn, play Diablo III and head on up to Inferno difficulty. If you're really crazy, make a hardcore character, and deal with knowing that you only get a single life. Demon's Souls is supposed to be quite challenging as well. The hard games are still around, and I would argue that there are more of them than there were, just by the fact that the industry is so much larger than it was. They may make up a smaller percentage of games now though.

I have a level 60 hardcore monk in act 2 inferno, stuck on goblin farming, tried it for a few hours got bored, not having the gear and stat requirements to survive most other encounters in act 2 basicly forces you to grind goblins that don't fight back. So... haven't touched the game in a while now. The idea of inferno being the ultimate challenge was there, but they failed to execute it properly. Also, the gear requirements to advance on inferno is pretty immense (to beat act 1 you need act 1 gear, to beat act 2 you need act 2 gear, etc), so it boils down to repetition. I'd argue the challenge in that.

That does bother me. I was excited to see more random stuff in Diablo III than in Diablo II (at least in terms of the quests) but I still feel irritated at how few of the dungeons seem to be randomly generated. Even Pikmin 2 had randomly generated dungeons.

That's another thing I didn't like about D3. It's basicly D2 in a new coat, it doesn't really add on the genre. The story isn't particularly longer, the levels rather small, although randomly generated you still pretty much know the direction you should head in. And itemization is not as good either to be honest. Rares being the items to have, where legendaries are 9 out of 10 times pure crap do you rolling useless random properties. Overall, apart from graphics and cinematics, I think diablo 2 was a much better game. Also, in diablo 2 on hardcore, even normal difficulty posed a challlenge. Using cleglaw's shield on andariel, fire/lightning res on diablo, etc. Right from the bat you were involved in the game if playing on hardcore. But in diablo 3, the game doesn't really start until you reach hell. Normal is a cakewalk, nightmare requires you to keep your gear in check but otherwise is very doable without having to resort to gear changes or different tactics. Only on Hell will you start to become really involved as a hardcore player. That's quite some playtime to even get to the good bits. And the fact that bosses are pushovers and the challenge is only in rares and elites with tough skill combo's, I can't help but think diablo 3 is just a big failure.

Diablo 3 held my interest for about 2-3 weeks nonetheless. Which is much more than I can say for some other games I've tried recently. :p

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
MY PEOPLE!

Pics of your video game collection!

Favorite console ever? (Personally, I'd go with Sega Genesis.)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MY PEOPLE!

Pics of your video game collection!

Favorite console ever? (Personally, I'd go with Sega Genesis.)

Oldschool pc guy here. Bought a Sega Mastermind 2, the only console I ever owned, from money earned washing cars, that was a big mistake. Ever since then I've played console games at friends places and such but never really enjoyed them enough to make me want to buy one myself. The multiplayer games were fun I suppose, but for that I needed my friends and they already had the consoles for me to play on!

Oh wait, I forgot, I bouth a ps2 specifically for final fantasy X. Was also the only PS2 game I ever owned lol. xP

Not a waste of money though, I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Question one: Why is Toad giving me the middle finger?

1gjA660UEpzy6s2tj6yLOgUbo1_500-1.jpg

When I initially looked at that I "saw" his thumbs in the air and his four fingers pressed together and faced outwardly. I had to stare a little while to be able to "see" the middle finger you're talking about. >_>

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's quite an impressive collection there. Where do you think that Blizzard will be heading after all this D3 rage?

T

The Iron Giant

That's quite an impressive collection there. Where do you think that Blizzard will be heading after all this D3 rage?

Thanks!

Seeing as how it's the fastest selling computer game of all time and they're making insane amounts of money with the auction house? There's no way people can even trade or sell their used copies of the game... I don't see why Blizzard or Activision should give a fuck.

I personally will not buy another game that forces me to be online all the time.

T

The Iron Giant

Dear Stephen,

What is the greatest video game movie ever made?
In your opinion, of course.

My favorite video game ever is Metroid Prime for Gamecube, though the Wii port is excellent.

250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

I think that the greatest video game ever made would have to be the most influential one, though. That can only go to Super Mario Bros for NES.

250px-Super_Mario_Bros._box.png

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, I was asking about movie adaptations, but...eh, nevermind. Screw it.
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation wins by default.

Metroid Prime is in my top...five. Yeah. Five.
Blew me away the first time I played it.
I still dig up the ol' cube to give it a twirl from time to time.

I'd have to give the "greatest game" award to Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VII.
Those two were in a league of their own.

T

The Iron Giant

Well, I was asking about movie adaptations, but...eh, nevermind. Screw it.
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation wins by default.

Metroid Prime is in my top...five. Yeah. Five.
Blew me away the first time I played it.
I still dig up the ol' cube to give it a twirl from time to time.

I'd have to give the "greatest game" award to Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy VII.
Those two were in a league of their own.

Oh Jesus, I missed a whole word. Wow. Let me respond to the original question then.

Hm. I have only seen a few. I saw Super Mario Bros, and I saw Street Fighter. I have heard good things about the Resident Evil movies...

I think Final Fantasy VII is overrated. I prefer VI. I think it was the last great Final Fantasy. Ocarina is great, but I find it hard to stomach today, the graphics have not aged well. I have it on 3DS and found it too sparse compared to modern Zeldas like Twilight Princess.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I could never get into Twilight Princess. There were moments I liked, but the wolf thing, man.
I don't wanna be a wolf in a Zelda game--I wanna be a Link.

Graphics don't bother me that much. I think the original Metal Gear Solid is infinitely superior to the sequels, even the Gamecube remake (that I didn't like very much--too many Matrix-y cut scenes for my liking).

What systems do you currently own?
I had them all before my PS3 performed seppuku last Summer.

T

The Iron Giant

What systems do you currently own?

I have an Atari VCS, the six switch wood panel model (pre 2600 branding), in a licensed platform storage case with smoke colored cover. I have a working NES, and a few others for parts. I have three working Sega Genesis consoles, but I really just use the oldest one, a first run (pre lockout chip) that lets me play the unlicensed carts (like Ballistic titles). I have a Power Base Converter that I just bought for that console, because I picked up a batch of Master System titles I need to test. I have a Super NES. I have several console clones... a RetroDuo (NES/SNES), a RetroN3 (NES/SNES/Genesis), and an AtGames Sega Megadrive (Genesis/Megadrive). I have an N64, a Gamecube, a Wii, a Gameboy, a Gameboy Advance, a Gameboy Advance SP (the true backlit version), two DS Lites, a DSi, and a 3DS. I have a PSP. Um, an Xbox 360, a launch model 60GB PS3... what else...