• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Up and coming MMO: Wildstar

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An up and coming brand new MMO is being developped as we speak, and we have none other than legendary Tim Cain to thank for it!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7FC43U_vo"]Wildstar[/YOUTUBE]

Tim Cain, notoriously famous for being a true RPG fanatic, with titles such as Fallout, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil and other extremely well made fantasy RPG games under his belt, has been working for the past six or seven years on the MMO that is now known as Wildstar!

Known for his love for non-linearity, intricate world designs and player ability to literally be whatever you want to be. Focusing on allowing the player to play an evil and agressive murderer or even a complete and utter pacifist that can't hurt a thing and still have a good time. This is sure to become a one of a kind MMORPG that can proudly wear the RPG tag, unlike so many of the current MMO's out there.

I for one can not wait to play this game.

Check it out (although not that much public yet):
http://www.wildstar-online.com/

~Tim Cain fanboi hoping to spread the RPG love. :wubbie:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But I'm still playing Tera!

EDIT: Okay, I signed up for the beta.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I'm still playing Tera!

It is still in development, you have plenty of time to tie up your activities in Tera and move to the best MMO ever.

I'm so buzzed! I mean, Tim Cain working on an MMO. Omgosh! If anyone can save the MMO genre, it would be him!

EDIT: Okay, I signed up for the beta.

Was also the first thing I did. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol... "save" might be a little optimistic. It's a maturing industry at this point, I'm not expecting to see any radical departures in basic playing style, although the more flexibility and AI adjustment of world to character choices, the better. They're still having trouble breaking out of the "accrue points / level up" mode, because it provides quick rewards for playtime.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol... "save" might be a little optimistic. It's a maturing industry at this point, I'm not expecting to see any radical departures in basic playing style, although the more flexibility and AI adjustment of world to character choices, the better. They're still having trouble breaking out of the "accrue points / level up" mode, because it provides quick rewards for playtime.

I think you might be surprised. I don't know how much of a hand Tim Cain has in this title per se. But I once saw an interview where he mentioned he was working on a then unnamed MMO and foreshadowed some major RPG elements that MMO would adhere too, making it truely one of a kind.

And to me, MMORPG without good RPG is just an MMO, so as far as saving the MMORPG branch, yeah, I'm thinking it truely will. :D

Ofcourse, all I'm really asking for is a supervised roleplaying server with actual rules and regulations. If they can establish and maintain a roleplaying community, they would already win me over and I'll be a happy puppy!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo"]gameplay[/YOUTUBE]

You talk to other people over long distances using a sort of cellphone like mechanic. How cool is that for RP! :D

Although for a creative writer, that guy isn't much of a talker. INTP probably. :p

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo"]gameplay[/YOUTUBE]

You talk to other people over long distances using a sort of cellphone like mechanic. How cool is that for RP! :D

The game itself looks a lot like WoW. Do you know if they plan on changing that? (I didn't watch the whole video.)

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made it to about the 3rd page of the beta sign-up before all the preliminary questions made me lose interest.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The game itself looks a lot like WoW. Do you know if they plan on changing that? (I didn't watch the whole video.)

You mean the cartoonish art style? No, I think it works well for MMO's personally.

As for gampeplay, it wil be quite a bit different. Rather than classes you pick paths, that also influence how you deal with the world and the quests you will follow. Unlike WoW where the world is very general oriented and the classes just defines your combat style. I think that's a really cool difference between the two. The above movie just shows the very first part of the game, from what I've read, the game becomes much more open after that.