• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Streetcar Named Desire

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
NO THIS IS NOT A "TYPE THE CHARACTERS" THREAD.

I want to talk about the movie. I've watched two films based on Tennessee Williams plays in the past couple of weeks: Night of the Iguana and A Streetcar Named Desire and they both seem to be films you have to watch repeatedly to grasp every little nuance. I also love how Tennessee Williams creates these dynamically realistic but fucked up characters who basically do the sorts of things that real people do, the crazy, the absurd, the vulnerable, etc.

For the longest time I never watched A Streetcar Named Desire because I never took it seriously and I wish I had, because it really blew me away, it crosses boundaries even now, it's not like "oh this was sexually risque for the 1950's." No...Blanche Dubois makes Mrs. Robinson look like Mary Poppins.

"I should learn to keep my hands off of children."

It's not what the characters say but how they say it, the acting in the film is SUPERB...the emotion, facial expressions, sexual tension, good lord.

What I decided about the film is that Stanley wanted Blanche and since she was his wife's sister, the only way he could have her was to destroy her. First he broke her down piece by piece mentally, then of course it's implied he ravages her physically. And what is interesting is that as much as she obviously wants him, and all the sexual boundaries she has personally crossed (having one night stands or possibly prostituting herself in a 2nd rate hotel and having an affair with a 17 year old boy as his teacher) ...it still destroys her mentally to be raped by a man she actually wants sexually, because he's her sister's husband? Or because he's so "brutal" and so "beneath her" romantic ideas about things, and his social class?

I need to watch it again. It's pretty riveting. I also want to watch The Night of the Iguana again.

And young Marlon Brando is possibly one of the sexiest men to ever come out of Hollywood, I mean Jesus. JESUS.

marlon-brando-young.jpeg

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I care.

It is one of my favorite movies and now that I think of it, I haven't watched it in years.
I may have to change that soon.

KDude

It's cool. I'm a Brando fan. Funnily, he resented the character over time. He didn't want to be associated with being a "brute". The only character I hate is Blanche. But they're all very realistic characters, I agree. She's realistically pretentious. I never got the sexual tension between them. I hear that a lot, but I don't see it on the screen. I think she thought it was there, but he hated her thoroughly. Maybe I'm forgetting something.