• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was pointing that out to note the deficits of "pure logic" esp when applied to sci fi programming. : ) )

Good thing Spock wasn't in that episode. Or some of the Spock wannabes who appear in those other flavors of the original series.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was pointing that out to note the deficits of "pure logic" esp when applied to sci fi programming. : ) )

Well, a lot of stories, you're just expected to suspend logic and go with it.

However, if someone wants to bitch about it, it's not like he's wrong. I think I had that thought too, when I first saw that episode -- "how silly, this could never feasibly happen, it's inherently paradoxical." A culture just can't develop that is ALL metaphorical, it needs some grounding in real concrete terms just to accomplish all the basic concrete tasks that are involved in a culture developing and maintaining itself.

Some other aspects of the show might also have to be accepted on faith, but they also have the potential to one day become reality (at least, just maybe).

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unless concrete objects are seen as limits of infinite series tending to a certain value or as the resultants of overlapping probability waves or some such

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unless concrete objects are seen as limits of infinite series tending to a certain value or as the resultants of overlapping probability waves or some such

QM can't be done with metaphorical language. But we're humans with human mental limitations. Maybe those aliens have an entirely different brain structure than ours. Perhaps they even perceive the world differently. Space and time are only a human convention.

G

garbage

This was referenced in Lenore's Personality Type: An Owner's Manual as an example of Fe at work. Something about these metaphors clicking when one realizes that they're analogous to specific interpersonal relationships.

I typed out other things, but you guys already covered what I was going to say :shrug:

edit: Yeah, look what communicating in metaphors got us. The beginning chapters of the Bible (at least) were written hella metaphorically, but they're taken literally because we're dumbasses. :wink:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This was referenced in Lenore's Personality Type: An Owner's Manual as an example of Fe at work. Something about these metaphors clicking when one realizes that they're analogous to specific interpersonal relationships.

No wonder I don't read Lenore Thomson. That's not Fe at work. It is Ni - a sudden connection or realization (light bulb event) created in Picard's INTJ mind.

I typed out other things, but you guys already covered what I was going to say :shrug:

edit: Yeah, look what communicating in metaphors got us. The beginning chapters of the Bible (at least) were written hella metaphorically, but they're taken literally because we're dumbasses. :wink:

At the same time this mythology was being written (by some hypothetical author named J), ancient civilizations (not some Hebrew tribes) had already formed the basis of modern reasoning, including political. There was an admixture of mythos, but reason won out in the long run. A modern variant of mythos consists of such notions as UFOlogy. The Grays and Whites are simply tribes from another planet (or dimension, etc.).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No wonder I don't read Lenore Thomson. That's not Fe at work. It is Ni - a sudden connection or realization (light bulb event) created in Picard's INTJ mind.

I suppose the alien was acting more in Fe, I guess, if anyone was -- referencing events of personal significance and giving them universal meaning -- whereas with Picard, yes, Ni was his doorway into recognizing what pattern he was actually looking at.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose the alien was acting more in Fe, I guess, if anyone was -- referencing events of personal significance and giving them universal meaning -- whereas with Picard, yes, Ni was his doorway into recognizing what pattern he was actually looking at.

That makes more sense.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
QM can't be done with metaphorical language. But we're humans with human mental limitations. Maybe those aliens have an entirely different brain structure than ours. Perhaps they even perceive the world differently. Space and time are only a human convention.

Right, I was saying language imitates perception and vice versa.

G

garbage

Yeah, my bad--I didn't explain myself properly. The aliens' language was Fe-oriented, and the crew had to figure out the nature of their metaphors.

Differences in communication style have some interesting effects. What has worked pretty flippin' well for one culture might not 'click' outside of that culture. In this incident, one culture has language and communication that's permeated by social hierarchy and politeness, where the other doesn't--and it leads to a failure to properly communicate urgency to those who expect more direct communication, even from 'subordinates.'