• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hipsters are illogical

xisnotx

Permabanned
Anyone who listens to music *just because* it's underground, and not because of the way it sounds is a tard.

Oh yes...the art that they choose to enjoy is inferior and they can therefore be appropriately labeled mentally deficient.
Either that or,
You have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

(Why is it I find myself increasingly sticking up for ideologies I don't particularly care for on this forum?)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh yes...the art that they choose to enjoy is inferior and they can therefore be appropriately labeled mentally deficient.
Either that or,
You have no idea what the heck you're talking about.

(Why is it I find myself increasingly sticking up for ideologies I don't particularly care for on this forum?)

WHAT ARE YOU BABBLING ABOUT?

I never said their art was mentally deficient, I said it's stupid to like something JUST BECAUSE it's not mainstream, instead of how it sounds or makes you feel.

Pay attention.

xisnotx

Permabanned
WHAT ARE YOU BABBLING ABOUT?

I never said their art was mentally deficient, I said it's stupid to like something JUST BECAUSE it's not mainstream, instead of how it sounds or makes you feel.

Pay attention.

So you don't think somethings mainstream-ness can possibly influence how you feel about it?

Attention pays me.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Anyone who listens to music *just because* it's underground, and not because of the way it sounds is a tard.

Agreed.

Weirdly, in many ways hipsters are the logical opposite of a nerd/geek in that regard. The philosophy of nerds/geeks implies they like what they like openly and in spite of social appearance or standing (interestingly, music nerds can look very similar to hipsters, but with the crucial difference of real passion and not just projection of an image).

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why do Hipsters only listen to "non-mainstream" music? Then, once their favorite artist gets big (mainstream) they stop listening to them because they are too "mainstream" at that point. This seems like an illogical contradiction because many artists aspire to get to the top and make it "big" but it seems like they never could do this and be a true hipster. Discuss.

Not a hipster.

This reminds me, Black-Eyed Peas used to hate playing their beats a certain way because they thought of themselves as a sell-out. Years later, they decided to play their music in "that" certain way. Their music got popular like a lot of other songs in this day in age. Since one of your forum members shown this I might as well reshow it.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I"]Axis of Awesome - 4 Four Chord Song[/YOUTUBE]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=11238]xisnotx[/MENTION]

there is a way of liking labels that may seem pretentious, for example wearing hollister or listening to Justin bieber because your friends do...or even having the right car, like a Mercedes or a Lexus. But at least there's something sincere, open and honest about the people who admit they wear or purchase or listen to be socially in sync.

People who listen to things only when they aren't mainstream are an even more base and dishonest form of pretentiousNess, because they lie to others and possibly themselves that their motive for doing so is social. Its disingenuous and it makes me want to punch people in the face.

Id rather be near a sincere and honest conformist or social climber than some fuckface who pretends they aren't one.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Note that its cool to find new music or to support local bands but when you liked the miners more just because they were underground, that is a problem.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
isnt this hipster thing the one where you try to be different from others by trying to be similar to others who want to be different from others?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Why is there such a big aversion to being considered Hipster?

You will do what you want to do; why does it have to be logical?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
isnt this hipster thing the one where you try to be different from others by trying to be similar to others who want to be different from others?

conforming in non-conformity...the grunge scene in the 90s was something similar which is why younger gen x-ers or older gen ys might notice something suspiciously familiar about this whole hipster thing.

That's probably the saddest thing about it, is that it vaguely replicates the early 90s while claiming to be original. At least 80s babies admit to being retro or nostalgic. Here I go again with these people annoying me for not plainly owning up to what they are.

Anyhoo, people bond and get off on an us versus them mentality, whatever shape it takes. Its just human nature.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
conforming in non-conformity...the grunge scene in the 90s was something similar which is why younger gen x-ers or older gen ys might notice something suspiciously familiar about this whole hipster thing.

Hippies in the 60s and 70s, Punks in the 80s, grunge in the 90s, emo kids in the early 2000s. Been around for a while now.

Lanton88

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6

That's probably the saddest thing about it, is that it vaguely replicates the early 90s while claiming to be original. At least 80s babies admit to being retro or nostalgic. Here I go again with these people annoying me for not plainly owning up to what they are.

Anyhoo, people bond and get off on an us versus them mentality, whatever shape it takes. Its just human nature.

I believe that we are all conformist in some way or another. With the media constantly bombarding us with how to be or not to be, makes it hard for us to be our authentic selves. Hipsters have the right idea by rebelling against the mainstream, but are going about it the wrong way. Instead of going against the "mainstream", they should focus more on self improvement and growth. This would help them find their authentic self.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sometimes "group non-conformists" are the worst conformists of all... we have an area of the city here where hipsters usually reside and work and such... I've had the misfortune of having that area as my sales route before... it was horrifying :horor: I actually ran across an eye doctor who sold non-prescription glasses to those who really didn't need them but wanted them for goodness sake!

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I suppose different people put different premiums on things. Some might prefer recognition among a 'cool' crowd over recognition generally or resorting to some kind of empty, artless style to appease larger crowds.

I don't think the bands in general do strive for limited success, however. They're just in that place of semi-success.

And I have to second that with most hipsters I know it isn't about the actual art they are consuming, it's about establishing their unique relationship to it in order to make themselves more intersting complex (often artificially so). It's why they'll abandon music they love if it gets too large (or ignore a song they actually like by a major artist, at least publically) and also listen to, honestly, some pretty horrendous music in the name of faux experimentalism and originality.

It's a silly thing. I know a fair number of hipsters and a fair number of ex hipsters (late HS and early college seems like a big time for this and to their credit they've introduced me to both great and truly insufferable bands). The thing about them is the real goal there is creating this perception of themselves as some form of non-traditional, rebellious coolness.

In some ways it's the spiritual successor to, say, punk movements in the 80s (another group who had major concerns about 'sell outs') or the emo surge in the early 2000s. it's new and cool and a pretty simple (and in some ways appealing) way for a young person to try and define themselves.

So what you are saying is that hipsters abandon music that they once loved once it becomes mainstream. The reason being is because they feel that when their favorite bands become famous, then the music is no longer about creativity anymore, but instead about prestige and recognition?