• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guild Wars 2 BWE

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Because of server issues on Friday and still here and there some heavy lag issues (go into a fight, suddenly game stucks for several seconds and when it finally reacts again you are dead) on Saturday and Sunday I couldn't play too much. I reached level 7 or 8 with my Elementalist and also tried to play a Guardian up to level 3 or 4 I think.

I felt a bit lost in the game, since there was no tutorial. I am pretty sure they will add that before release of the game, as it was like that in GW1. Nowhere was described how the skill system works, I didn't find out where I can craft something with my crafting material I found tons of or where I can learn a job like cooking. I also didn't find out what the class teachers are good for. Somehow I also didn't know how I can write in team chat (I tried to write "/team hello" but that didn't work). And several little stuff.

The game itself didn't feel any like Guild Wars 1, but that was to be expected from what I heard before. It felt more like World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs. I only tried the PvE yet though, I have hopes that the PvP system will be great as it was in Guild Wars 1, although I heard a lot of negative comments about it so far, but I guess people need to learn the game first before judging a lot about PvP. And I wouldn't be surprised if they still add additional PvP modes, it was like that in GW1.

In PvE I liked the fact that you don't stand still and smash only buttons but that you have to move also. Especially when you are fighting in melee, you have to walk up to your enemy on your own and face him correctly, and since the enemy might move too you have to keep following him. As an Elementalist you are able to cast all your spells while moving, which is different to other RPGs. This adds some more action to the game. The dodging system I didn't get through yet, in the early levels there didn't seem much reason to dodge yet though, but I bet it will become important later on. In the mess of the overcrowded places it was hard to stay on top of things also. Great were also most of the AoE spells; in Guild Wars 1 they were always automatically cast on the target that you selected, and since most of them would move most AoE attacks would miss and be useless. But here you can choose your target for your AoE spells manually and anticipate where enemies will move into so that you will hit and deal great damage.

The quest system I don't know how to feel about yet. You don't have to talk to the quest npc anymore but just come near to him, this is practical but also removes a bit of atmosphere. The event system I didn't like yet. They were occuring far too often, so that I would see the same event several times in short time. The ones in the start of the game were not very exciting even on the first try also. When I remember having read previews and stuff where events were described as "memorable" events which greatly impact the world, I am really disappointed, they felt just like a normal quest which can be repeated all the time and they didn't seem to have any impact on the world either. I hope they will make the events more exciting and less frequent, and with more impact on the world. Maybe it was just the beginning which was lacking also, I didn't get far yet in the world.

Graphics were ok I guess when I look at with what kind of computer and thus low settings I played it. I feared that I would be unable to play the game because especially my graphics card (HD 3870) is quite outdated, but it was ok. It didn't run smoothly everywhere, but it was playable. I will buy in the next time some new hardware anyway though, and I hope the maximum detail settings will be as great as it was when Guild Wars 1 came out in its time. I heard they said that they still improve the graphics.

Character creation was nice, you could individualise a lot of your appearance.

So all in all I feel you can see everywhere in the game that it is still in the beta phase yet and not a finished product. I have trust in the developers though that they will fix the issues until release and make it more friendly for new players which didn't (intentionally*) didn't inform themselves about all the new mechanics yet.

*I wasn't sure if I even wanted to participate in the beta before release, because I wanted to prevent spoilers and keep the experience fresh when it comes out as a finished product. In the end I tried it out mainly to see how my computer can handle it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Can't wait to go home and get back in to it. Might just make a new character despite the fact the old ones are getting carried over, I probably forgot how to play the classes.

This comes just in time as Diablo III was getting stale for me, far more quickly than I thought it would have.

As to pay to win...I don't know. I'd like to think they wouldn't let that happen. But I hope not.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
It's a 14% stake, it's nowhere near enough to have their grubby fingers on the overall structure of the game. You should all be preparing for Planetside 2, anyway.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
It's a 14% stake, it's nowhere near enough to have their grubby fingers on the overall structure of the game. You should all be preparing for Planetside 2, anyway.
I disagree. It doesn't take a 50+% stake to alter the direction of a company. 14.7% is a significant stake in a company of that size.

Jock: I think ArenaNet would resist making the game Pay2Win as much as they possibly could, but stockholders control the money which gives them ultimate authority.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I had a great time on this beta, the last two were a bit lackluster but this one I really got into it.

I found my role and build for my necro and the WvW was EPIC! Even though there was a massive player difference between us, (the greens), the blues and then the horde of reds, it was still immense fun.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I disagree. It doesn't take a 50+% stake to alter the direction of a company. 14.7% is a significant stake in a company of that size.

Jock: I think ArenaNet would resist making the game Pay2Win as much as they possibly could, but stockholders control the money which gives them ultimate authority.
So far so good, ArenaNet has made some aspects of the cash shop more player friendly (particularly the dye system). That's a good sign.

There's another stress test today. I'll probably log my character in and do nothing because I'm tired of playing characters I won't get to keep...and headstart is 3.5 days away. I've been waiting for this thing so long, it still hasn't sunk in that the game is actually going to be live in a few days.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll see what server I get on when the game begins, I plan to be playing Guild Wars 2 with a friend I know. So I'll be in the same server as him no matter what happens.

I've been looking at the game footage, I might just play warrior or engineer (some skills are strange though for engineer.)

Ranger seemed fun and sort of like my play style, but I'll see what happens.

I'm not so sure about guardian, at least for now.

Elementalist seems fun, too many spells for now though.

Haven't thought of Necro and Mesmer yet.

Thief.....ehhh

So yeah, guess I'll be trying Warrior and Engineer first.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Guardian is wicked fun. The only profession I've played that wasn't particularly fun was Mesmer, but it was clear that profession needed to be tuned up. It's probably better now.

Less than 3 days to go for the headstart!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/

Anyone interested in watching an good, objective review of the game should watch this video by Total Biscuit:

Regarding Total Biscuit's comments about game performance, the game has been optimized significantly since he made this video. The process is not complete, but I am getting a significantly better frame rate. I'm now getting 50+ FPS in PvE (WvW is more taxing because of the number of players involved) running at max settings with an i5-2500k and HD 6850. The following article regarding optimization was published by ArenaNet today:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/bill-freist-talks-optimization-and-performance/