• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

U.F.C Violence

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
U.F.C

Mixed Martial Arts

Extracts taken from The New York Times

For four years, the Ultimate Fighting Championship has lobbied the New York State Legislature to overturn its 1997 ban on live professional mixed martial arts fighting.

But it has failed. So on Tuesday, the U.F.C. adopted a new strategy: it sued the state in Manhattan federal court, saying that the prohibition is unconstitutional. The complaint accuses the state of enacting the ban because of the violent message it believes the sport conveys.

““While there surely are spectators who watch solely because of their misconceived hopes of seeing ‘violence, ” it says, “countless fans watch M.M.A. because of the variety of positive messages conveyed.”

The lawsuit also says that the ban makes no sense given that other sports and activities at least as violent, like boxing, football, ice hockey, downhill skiing, rodeo and tightrope walking over Niagara Falls, are allowed.

End of extract

I would like to take issue within the U.F.C lawsuit that spectators have misconceived hopes of seeing violence.
…..........................
Pinning somebody underneath yourself then using your elbows and bandaged fists to beat them around the head until they are senseless is definitely violence not sport.

There isn't a single fighter or member within the U.F.C who isn't aware of the message they are conveying to society in allowing this within the rules. As the U.F.C becomes ever increasingly popular the message especially to young viewers is once mounted in a fight it is perfectly permissible to beat someone unconscious using your elbows and fists. A claim that certain types of U.F.C spectators and viewers are not susceptible to this subliminal message is ridiculous. If someone watches a thousand U.F.C fights then gets involved in fight in society once he has his opponent pinned or mounted can it really be claimed the U.F.C are not promoting the next action? Especially at a subliminal level?

Although hard to believe it could be said that in a society as violent as ours many of the crowd at U.F.C events are waiting for this exact sort of violence to happen ( The Money Shot). So does greed once again preside over human moral decency?

I am not claiming that by watching martial arts like boxing most actions can be replicated in a fight as they takes years of training to perfect. Smashing your elbows into someone face whilst they are physically pinned underneath you takes zero practice or training and is easily replicated. The results of a fatality are huge in this situation.

I am not advocating a ban on the publicising and broadcasting of U.F.C as a sport I am advocating a ban if this barbaric act is not removed .

The claim within the lawsuit that the ban makes no sense as sports such as downhill skiing are as violent is laughable.

Rome was a technologically advanced race such as ourselves if we allow more and more barbaric behaviour to filter through are society as barbaric as the Romans is exactly what we will become.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It must be I have no idea what I'm talking about day.

Have you ever heard of Jiu-Jitsu?

triangle_choke.jpg

Some fighters actively try to be taken down to get the fight on the ground so they can submit their opponent with a joint lock or choke.

The fights not over till someone taps or is knocked out.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Godscollie doesn't see why the capacity for violence can be useful.

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
It must be I have no idea what I'm talking about day.

Have you ever heard of Jiu-Jitsu?

triangle_choke.jpg

Some fighters actively try to be taken down to get the fight on the ground so they can submit their opponent with a joint lock or choke.

The fights not over till someone taps or is knocked out.

What has grappling got to do with smashing your elbow into an opponents skull whilst he's is defenceless ( At your mercy)? I am all for choke holds and submission holds once the fight has taken to the floor i am just against smashing your elbows into somebodies temple whilst they are defenceless as any form of sport. your original " I have no idea what i am talking about day" is completely irrelevant. When did you ask me what should take place once the fight takes to the mat? what has jiu jitsu and choke holds or tap outs have to do with anything i said?

Godscollie doesn't see why the capacity for violence can be useful.

:)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Violent sport is more of an vaccination to widespread violence than a source. People know how to hurt people naturally. Throwing a brick at somebody's head is something that doesn't need a media example to enact. Even if you could convince me that UFC is a sign of some sort of decay of today's society, then it seems silly to try to address the symptom (UFC), and not the cause.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although hard to believe it could be said that in a society as violent as ours many of the crowd at U.F.C events are waiting for this exact sort of violence to happen ( The Money Shot).
Maybe you should read this.
So does greed once again preside over human moral decency?
You may have to define moral decency, because I don't see anyone being unfair to anyone.
I am not claiming that by watching martial arts like boxing most actions can be replicated in a fight as they takes years of training to perfect. Smashing your elbows into someone face whilst they are physically pinned underneath you takes zero practice or training and is easily replicated.
:rly???:
The results of a fatality are huge in this situation.
I did quick research and I came up with this data:
Three men have died in MMA. Sam Vasquez in 2007, Douglas Dedge in 1998, and a 35 year old man only identified as Lee in South Korea in 2005. No one died in the UFC.
I know, I know; human life is too precious to be wasted and yada yada, but we can't call the number huge. And some people die even while playing soccer. Shit happens.
I am not advocating a ban on the publicising and broadcasting of U.F.C as a sport I am advocating a ban if this barbaric act is not removed .

The claim within the lawsuit that the ban makes no sense as sports such as downhill skiing are as violent is laughable.
Reasonable.
Rome was a technologically advanced race such as ourselves if we allow more and more barbaric behaviour to filter through are society as barbaric as the Romans is exactly what we will become.
Nobody is obliged to fight or watch.This is very different from Rome.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What has grappling got to do with smashing your elbow into an opponents skull whilst he's is defenceless ( At your mercy)? I am all for choke holds and submission holds once the fight has taken to the floor i am just against smashing your elbows into somebodies temple whilst they are defenceless as any form of sport. your original " I have no idea what i am talking about day" is completely irrelevant. When did you ask me what should take place once the fight takes to the mat? what has jiu jitsu and choke holds or tap outs have to do with anything i said?
If it's any consolation, this movement is illegal:
A "12-6 elbow" is a strike that is brought from a high position ("12 o'clock") and travels vertically toward the floor ("6 o'clock"), dropping the point of the elbow directly on the target. This type of elbow is illegal in many MMA organizations, including the UFC and Strikeforce.[3] UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones received the only loss of his career after being disqualified due to using a 12-6 elbow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbow_(strike)#12-6_Elbow

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
First and foremost, link the article next time. U.F.C. Sues State Over Ban on Mixed Martial Arts Bouts

It's hard to get the context unless you quote the whole thing.

I think the UFC might win this court case.

Pinning somebody underneath yourself then using your elbows and bandaged fists to beat them around the head until they are senseless is definitely violence not sport.

Who are you to say what is sport, or more to the point what two consenting adults can do with their time?

It certainly is a sport.

Probably the first human sport.

Smashing your elbows into someone face whilst they are physically pinned underneath you takes zero practice or training and is easily replicated.

You have no idea the amount of training and practice that goes into learning take downs and ground and pound. Not to mention the cardia training required to support an activity that strenuous.

When amateur street fighters go to the ground, the two involved always end up looking like two monkeys fucking a coconut. If it was so easy to GnP amateurs would be able to do it.

I am not advocating a ban on the publicising and broadcasting of U.F.C as a sport I am advocating a ban if this barbaric act is not removed.

Ground and pound is essential to the balance of the sport.

MMA was originally intended to see what fighting style was the best.

By removing Ground and Pound, you would basically turn MMA into a Jiu-Jitsu competition that starts with a little (kick)boxing.

Wrestlers would be fucked. And it would take a lot of the excitement out of the sport.

The reason I mentioned Jiu-Jitsu is that a BJJ black belt is fucking dangerous on the bottom in full guard. If the guy on top can't punch or elbow, what can he do?

What has grappling got to do with smashing your elbow into an opponents skull whilst he's is defenceless ( At your mercy)? I am all for choke holds and submission holds once the fight has taken to the floor i am just against smashing your elbows into somebodies temple whilst they are defenceless as any form of sport.

But they are not defenseless. This is one of the reasons I said you don't know what you're talking about.

If you've ever watched a UFC match that ends in a TKO (I doubt it), you will hear the ref say to the man losing the fight at the end "defend yourself" or "I'm going to call the fight if you don't do something." UFC ref's have to end the fight when a fighter can't defend himself

your original " I have no idea what i am talking about day" is completely irrelevant. When did you ask me what should take place once the fight takes to the mat? what has jiu jitsu and choke holds or tap outs have to do with anything i said?

It is completely relevant. Given that you thought the fighter on bottom was defenseless.

If you had even a cursory understanding of what MMA entailed, you would not think that just because someone is on bottom in full guard, that they are defenseless.

Here is the end of the article:
“The linchpin is convincing the court that the ban is aimed at the content of the entertainment as opposed to the safety of the fighters,” said Tom Kelley, a partner at Levine Sullivan Koch & Schulz. “Attempts to regulate entertainment based on its violent message have been largely unsuccessful.”

Bruce Johnson, a partner at Davis Wright Tremaine, added: “It sounds very straightforward: the government seems to be trying to regulate the message, which is very different from trying to regulate what’s healthy or unhealthy about the sport. Entertainment itself is protected by the First Amendment.”

The lawsuit also says that the ban makes no sense given that other sports and activities at least as violent, like boxing, football, ice hockey, downhill skiing, rodeo and tightrope walking over Niagara Falls, are allowed.

It also says that while New York bans live professional fights, it allows mixed martial arts gyms, amateur fights and the component disciplines of M.M.A., like judo, tae kwon do, karate and kenpo.

“If M.M.A. is so dangerous,” the filing said, “then certainly the ban could have been drafted so as to prohibit all M.M.A. activities.”

The worst part of your argument is when you go all "parade of horribles" on us and link MMA with Gladiators and the downfall of Rome.

Are you really going to make the moral decay argument?

MMA has always been about finding a productive outlet for aggression, self discipline, and testing yourself. In so doing finding out more about yourself and who you are.

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
First and foremost, link the article next time. U.F.C. Sues State Over Ban on Mixed Martial Arts Bouts

It's hard to get the context unless you quote the whole thing.

I think the UFC might win this court case.

Who are you to say what is sport, or more to the point what two consenting adults can do with their time?

It certainly is a sport.

Probably the first human sport.

You have no idea the amount of training and practice that goes into learning take downs and ground and pound. Not to mention the cardia training required to support an activity that strenuous.

When amateur street fighters go to the ground, the two involved always end up looking like two monkeys fucking a coconut. If it was so easy to GnP amateurs would be able to do it.

Ground and pound is essential to the balance of the sport.

MMA was originally intended to see what fighting style was the best.

By removing Ground and Pound, you would basically turn MMA into a Jiu-Jitsu competition that starts with a little (kick)boxing.

Wrestlers would be fucked. And it would take a lot of the excitement out of the sport.

The reason I mentioned Jiu-Jitsu is that a BJJ black belt is fucking dangerous on the bottom in full guard. If the guy on top can't punch or elbow, what can he do?

But they are not defenseless. This is one of the reasons I said you don't know what you're talking about.

If you've ever watched a UFC match that ends in a TKO (I doubt it), you will hear the ref say to the man losing the fight at the end "defend yourself" or "I'm going to call the fight if you don't do something." UFC ref's have to end the fight when a fighter can't defend himself

It is completely relevant. Given that you thought the fighter on bottom was defenseless.

If you had even a cursory understanding of what MMA entailed, you would not think that just because someone is on bottom in full guard, that they are defenseless.

Here is the end of the article:

The worst part of your argument is when you go all "parade of horribles" on us and link MMA with Gladiators and the downfall of Rome.

Are you really going to make the moral decay argument?

MMA has always been about finding a productive outlet for aggression, self discipline, and testing yourself. In so doing finding out more about yourself and who you are.

I certainly am going to make a moral decay argument when you watch another man smash his elbows into an opponents head till he looses consciousness whilst mounted over him. The rest of what you said is like you are teaching me martial arts practises like you don't even know who has mounted who and who is in prime position etc your trying to rubbish a simple is it right to broadcast to millions a man smashing his elbows into another man's head whilst than man is underneath him? I have see U.F.C so don't try to make me believe something i have seen with my own eyes doesn't happen.The ref is slow to stop it, like i have said I have seen men go unconscious from a succession of elbows to head and temple, and the elbow i believe is the second hardest bone in the body after the thigh. You are trying to deflect this into a who knows more about the fighting arts argument, who cares? I didn't even call for a ban i just said i would like to see this removed from the sport. And yes definitely what's next?

You keep on telling me about there personal rights, signed agreements etc like i care about there rights? I have a right as a father to push for seriously violent acts not to be displayed to the public. full stop.

please don't take me through various fighting forms etc I have only a certain capacity for boredom.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I have only a certain capacity for boredom.

And for proper diction, but I digress.

like you don't even know who has mounted who and who is in prime position etc

But I do know, I trained for 2 years under Sifu Kenny Barry in Combat Submission Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, and under Darwin Vasay in Muay Thai.

I know what I'm talking about.

is it right to broadcast to millions a man smashing his elbows into another man's head whilst than man is underneath him?

If the audience is properly notified as to the content of the upcoming programing, I have no problem with it.

I don't think it's right or wrong.

I think right and wrong is a pretty subjective basis on which to determine TV broadcasting allowances.

I have a right as a father to push for seriously violent acts not to be displayed to the public.

I would say that you have the right as a US citizen to advocate for your cause in whichever (legal) way you see fit, but I don't think you are a US citizen.

But wherever you are, I'm sure the populace has the right to advocate issues, so yes you do have that right.

I don't see how being a father plays into it.

You are trying to deflect this into a who knows more about the fighting arts argument

No I was trying to show you all the ways the ban you propose would ruin the SPORT of MMA.

i would like to see this removed from the sport.

And you are entitled to your opinion.

In the same way that I am entitled to my opinion that your proposed ban would ruin the sport and make it much less marketable, not to mention that your moral objection to ground and pound is ridiculous.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I certainly am going to make a moral decay argument when you watch another man smash his elbows into an opponents head till he looses consciousness whilst mounted over him. The rest of what you said is like you are teaching me martial arts practises like you don't even know who has mounted who and who is in prime position etc your trying to rubbish a simple is it right to broadcast to millions a man smashing his elbows into another man's head whilst than man is underneath him? I have see U.F.C so don't try to make me believe something i have seen with my own eyes doesn't happen.The ref is slow to stop it, like i have said I have seen men go unconscious from a succession of elbows to head and temple, and the elbow i believe is the second hardest bone in the body after the thigh. You are trying to deflect this into a who knows more about the fighting arts argument, who cares? I didn't even call for a ban i just said i would like to see this removed from the sport. And yes definitely what's next?

You keep on telling me about there personal rights, signed agreements etc like i care about there rights? I have a right as a father to push for seriously violent acts not to be displayed to the public. full stop.

please don't take me through various fighting forms etc I have only a certain capacity for boredom.

This is not a morality issue

It is an issue of skill and talent

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp

I do not know what hawt means?

Now you have brought what i said to my attention i am not sure about choke holds . When the airway to the brain is properly cut off by a choke hold to avoid damage to the brain it must be released after about three seconds. The reaction i believe to properly having the air supply to the brain cut off is to tap out or go limp but maybe this isn't right either. My main disgust was the use of the elbow in a certain situation
hence i made the post. Maybe it should be grapple and submission only and take to your feet when the action becomes stagnant. I never argued one point designed to completely refine the rules of the U.F.C i was simply pointing out where the action takes to common street violence at its worst.

LEGERdeMAIN

Now you have brought what i said to my attention i am not sure about choke holds . When the airway to the brain is properly cut off by a choke hold to avoid damage to the brain it must be released after about three seconds. The reaction i believe to properly having the air supply to the brain cut off is to tap out or go limp but maybe this isn't right either. My main disgust was the use of the elbow in a certain situation
hence i made the post. Maybe it should be grapple and submission only and take to your feet when the action becomes stagnant. I never argued one point designed to completely refine the rules of the U.F.C i was simply pointing out where the action takes to common street violence at its worst.

<3, tell me more

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

If you're blocking the airway, you're doing it wrong.

Your goal with a choke is to block one, or preferably both carotid arteries in the neck, thereby depriving the brain of blood. If done properly you'll be unconscious within 5 seconds.

In pro fights, air chokes will almost never cut the mustard, and (barring having someones back and going for the rear naked choke) they usually don't work. Air chokes are painful as shit though, and generally are one of the least fun things one can endure in the ring.

Either way, I still think ground and pound is perfectly reasonable.

I understand not wanting little kids to watch UFC, but that's what the rating system and broadcasting standards are for.

And it looks, like cable television agrees with me... UFC, Fox reach 7 year ($700 million) deal

godscollie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intp
If you're blocking the airway, you're doing it wrong.

Your goal with a choke is to block one, or preferably both carotid arteries in the neck, thereby depriving the brain of blood. If done properly you'll be unconscious within 5 seconds.

In pro fights, air chokes will almost never cut the mustard, and (barring having someones back and going for the rear naked choke) they usually don't work. Air chokes are painful as shit though, and generally are one of the least fun things one can endure in the ring.

Either way, I still think ground and pound is perfectly reasonable.

I understand not wanting little kids to watch UFC, but that's what the rating system and broadcasting standards are for.

And it looks, like cable television agrees with me... UFC, Fox reach 7 year ($700 million) deal

Your right it is the blood supply, been years since i have applied or had one applied on me. the effect is quite dramatic and instant and I only know one way out if you quick enough and on your feet when it is applied. It's basically the lock that Hulk Hogan goes down to and then pounds his fist against the mat while the crowd cheer and then rises and shakes the other wrestler off with an elbow or something. If the lock was fully applied the brain shuts down but it makes good wrestling tv.

You obviously know your martial arts but i am not going round the houses on this. I stick to my opener smashing your elbow into someone's head who has been mounted and
could be??? (so i don't have to hear about the various positions) defenceless is sickening to watch, Obviously your capacity for watching real life violence is much higher than mine. I have viewed three of four elbows to the temple before the ref stepped in. If i hadn't seen it i wouldn't have posted the thread. I will not change my mind that it is just sickening and should be banned from the sport.

700 million dollar deal. Are we witnessing the death of the noble art of boxing to be replaced by trained street fighting and barbaric floor elbowing knock outs.

basically all this ground and pound philosophy amounts to the same thing. You like watching sickening violence :) nice. And you were good enough to point out children will have to wait to view it for themselves by which time it will be even more popular and the violence even worse in our chase the money first society. I was asked earlier what being a father has to do with this? hopefully that answers your question.

This society isn't going to do a Roman? Wish i had as much faith as you.

dala

MBTI Type
intp
I don't like UFC. It appears to me that there is far more gratuitous damage done in this sport than in others that are similar, such as boxing. I believe that there are other effective ways of demonstrating the skill these fighters possess without such great risk of injuries. In particular, I find the allowance of head shots disturbing because of the risk fighters are taking with multiple concussions. While other sports are tightening their rules in an attempt to prevent head injuries, UFC seems to glorify it.

That being said, I do not see any benefit in trying to ban it. You might as well try to ban war by prohibiting news coverage. A certain subset of the population lives for this stuff, and short of changing human nature they will continue to do so. Take away this outlet, which has at least some rules and standards, and it will move underground, becoming even more dangerous for participants.